X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sewing

[quote author=Maythe link=topic=177.msg4660#msg4660 date=1287469168]
    Lovely stuff Thalassa. So what exactly defines a quilt?

I thought it was patchwork with squishy stuff in the middle all sewn together. but then I'm probably not a purist :P
    [/quote]

thanks!!

*technically* quilting makes the quilt. As in, the stitching that binds the backing, batting and front piece.

So, quilting snobs wouldn't consider a tie quilt to really be quilted...because there is no continuous stitching. Some quilters wouldn't consider using fusible interfacing to be quilting. Heck, some hand quilters look down on machine quilters. (I have a friend that quilts seriously, and she has stories)

Why are there always 'purists' in any group? I get wanting to do something 'to the max' as it were, fully authentically, but to then want to define everyone outside of the group who isn't as hardcore as you? Maybe it's a basic human instinct...
    lol, I agree...I see it a lot in Civil War reenacting. Particularly in the realm of hand stitching vs machine. The argument is generally that sewing machines were not widely used, and if they were it was more likely in a professional setting or by a wealthy individual.

IMO, BS. I own a mint condition 1847 Elias Howe treadle sewing machine that has been passed on thru my average middle class farmer family since its purchase by my great-great-great-great-aunt (plus or minus a great) who saved for over a year so that she could "spend less time pricking herself with a needle" (lol). When they moved from Tennessee to Illinois, it was such a *big deal* that the machine got packed in the extra blankets and everyone else was cold at night!! This thing has had such good care taken of it, that it still has the original directions, the original spare parts and is still operational...and one of these days I will figure out learn how to drive the darn thing (its like going from an automatic to a stick shift)!

But seriously, most people lack the sewing skill to emulate the skill of these women (and men)...the idea of a hand sewn outfit might be historically accurate, but the skill level of most people today is not. Children learned how to sew at my childrens age (ZOMG! Giving Collin a needle!!! Bad idea.). Their skill was better than mine by the age of 5 or 6. If you look at quilts from the 1800s, particularly those made for fundraising during the war (usually done by some of the best quilters in an area), often the stitches are SO good, they are closer together, smaller, and more evenly spaced than even a machine of today can do.

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=177.msg4260#msg4260 date=1287414726]
      Cute!

How hard is it to learn how to quilt? There are a lot of ladies out here who still do, and I'm starting to be interested in it from a frugality perspective.
      [/quote]

I've been busy, and missed this - I can quilt too, though I haven't in ages. Get a quilting foot. They make things a billion times easier.

Mostly art.

Comment

Thal: It's a Brother 72 stitch. I have to go take some stuff to a shop(my first consignment!) and after I will post a pic!
        If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
        --Douglas Adams (RIP)

http://corvuscorvidae.tumblr.com/ My Bloggerriffic Blogtastic Blo

Comment

That's a good point about hand stitch skill levels Thal.

So do we get to see some of your costumes?
          You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Comment

[quote author=Maythe link=topic=177.msg4869#msg4869 date=1287507733]
            So do we get to see some of your costumes? [/quote]
            Pleeeeeease!

The tools (and part of a cat's head).

Comment

[quote author=Maythe link=topic=177.msg4869#msg4869 date=1287507733]
              That's a good point about hand stitch skill levels Thal.

So do we get to see some of your costumes?
              [/quote]

lol...I keep meaning to do this....but I'm always the person WITH the camera at events, so there are only a few pictures of me...but none of them are a full length view!!

I'll see if the hubby would be willing to photoshoot the whole outfit in layers...because there is more stuff underneath than on top!
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

When my eyesight was normal, I used to love making quilts. The Welsh are quite famous for their quilting - but it tended to be wholecloth rather than patchwork. As Thal rightly says, the standard of the stitchwork is amazing. I also collect antique clothing and what fascinates me still is the quality of the darning. I was taught (like other girls of my generation) to darn of course, but I can't do it to that standard and never could.

What I used to do when my children were small was to buy up cheap cotton clothing at the end of jumble sales (do you have them in the US? Do they have a different name there?) then I would wash it, cut it into strips and sew these together lengthwise. THEN, after careful pressing, I would cut out my squares and triangles, and join and rejoin - they made great and highly complicated looking hexagons! It was a way of keeping everyone warm without spending a ton of money. Each child had a winter and summer weight quilt, and on the back I used to embroider their name, the date it was made and the title of the quilt (for some reason I always thought it was important to name a quilt. It gave it more character somehow!)

Sadly nobody wanted to take their quilts with them when they left home, so they are still here, sitting in my linen cupboard.
                www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I've never learned how to darn, but I'd like to. It just seems a waste to throw out a good piece because of a little hole, and also little holes can get bigger. I have a BEAUTIFUL coat from the 60's that belonged to my great aunt. It's fur-trimmed wool and it was custom made for her, and she happened to be just my size. In my old place we had carpet beetles and my roommates dismissed them as "normal" so they were everywhere, so their larvae ate a few holes in it They're small holes and darnable but every time I try to darn something it looks ugly as sin.

Comment

I has pictures of the dress i made and one i altered!

Heres the one i altered, i took it in and added the white lace around the bottom.

Heres the one i made, hopefully i'll get a better picture as soon as someone uploads it

Comment

Awesome! Love the back of it!

Comment

[quote author=Tylluan Penry link=topic=177.msg8487#msg8487 date=1288517116]
                        When my eyesight was normal, I used to love making quilts. The Welsh are quite famous for their quilting - but it tended to be wholecloth rather than patchwork. As Thal rightly says, the standard of the stitchwork is amazing. I also collect antique clothing and what fascinates me still is the quality of the darning. I was taught (like other girls of my generation) to darn of course, but I can't do it to that standard and never could.

What I used to do when my children were small was to buy up cheap cotton clothing at the end of jumble sales (do you have them in the US? Do they have a different name there?) then I would wash it, cut it into strips and sew these together lengthwise. THEN, after careful pressing, I would cut out my squares and triangles, and join and rejoin - they made great and highly complicated looking hexagons! It was a way of keeping everyone warm without spending a ton of money. Each child had a winter and summer weight quilt, and on the back I used to embroider their name, the date it was made and the title of the quilt (for some reason I always thought it was important to name a quilt. It gave it more character somehow!)

Sadly nobody wanted to take their quilts with them when they left home, so they are still here, sitting in my linen cupboard.
                        [/quote]

That is so sad that no one wanted their quilts!!!

I had a little store-bought blanket with bears on it that my grandmother bought for me when I was 4 or 5, and was on my bed until I left home, and my mother won't give it to me!
                        Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=177.msg8539#msg8539 date=1288540603]
                          That is so sad that no one wanted their quilts!!!

I had a little store-bought blanket with bears on it that my grandmother bought for me when I was 4 or 5, and was on my bed until I left home, and my mother won't give it to me!
                          [/quote]

I live in hopes... maybe they'll decide they want them some day! I'll try and take some photos...
                          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

LMAO! I was expecting to find a thread on sewing! (Pun intended. lol) My dad owns a Singer sewing machine store here in Miami. He sells & repairs them, sells accessories and spare parts, makes alterations, and teaches basic sewing and fashion design.

I used to work with him for like 3 years before I graduated from massage school. I got into sewing cuz I can't really find nice lingerie that I like (and that fits). But since I live so close to Downtown Miami where there's a fabric store in every corner, I just buy the scraps whenever they go on sale and have my dad make me something nice. Usually light, airy dresses to wear in nights out in Miami Beach or something. But he also made my prom dress, my graduation out fit (which were both corsets) and my massage graduation dress (pictured below). I'll try and find the other pics.

I do have lots of sewing tools at home for whenever I want to make myself lingerie. My dad makes me the patterns and I take it from there. It's not really that hard. I would always see him teaching the students the techniques and I got so adept at it that I would teach too (even though I didn't sew at the time). Then again, he does see me in the store quite often with a garment that I get stumped on. Either that, or (if it's not too erotic) I take it to my mother and she helps me finish it. lol

[I can't seem to understand how to attach an image using the forum thingy, sorry.]

This was my massage graduation dress. Sept. '09

[color=red]My friend's mom - "What's the name of that movie with Mel Gibson and the ailiens?"
                            My friend- "Passion of the Crist"
                            Me= *ROFLMGAO*

Comment

Ooh TP you're making me feel guilty (quilty?) as my Granny made us all quilts (hand stitched tiny hexagons ) and I have no idea where mine is (loft at parents house?)... but it's single bed sized and pink. Not really my thing anymore :P . Though at some point in our teens my sister and I 'upgraded' to cheap duvets, ungrateful cowbags that we were. Now if my granny had made me a double one in almost any colour but pink I'd love to use it, but then it might be a bit much to ask for her to make me one for my future self about thiry years ago!

Thaleia Chara - it's nice you can share that (or some of it!) with your parents. The best thing about sewing (and knitting) for yourself is the ability to make things that fit you, not some mythical average.
                              You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Comment

[quote author=Maythe link=topic=177.msg8604#msg8604 date=1288556325]
                                The best thing about sewing (and knitting) for yourself is the ability to make things that fit you, not some mythical average.
                                [/quote]

Oh, I used to knit also (actually crochet, my little sister knits). My great-grand aunt taught me how to make a cute sweater for my dog when he was a wee puppy. But I gave it to friend who volunteers for an animal shelter in Miami Beach (along with his tiny collar and leash) when my puppy grew out if it.

And I don't think I took pics of it. :'(

[color=red]My friend's mom - "What's the name of that movie with Mel Gibson and the ailiens?"
                                My friend- "Passion of the Crist"
                                Me= *ROFLMGAO*

Comment

Working...
                                X