• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sewing

Well if you ever take it up again we have a knitting thread too *plug plug*
    You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Comment

Re: Knitting

Anyone have experience with continental style knitting?

I've heard its easier on people with carpal tunnel.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

When I could see properly I used to knit like a maniac... hand knitting (fairisle and Arran) and also machine knitting. I knitted trousers, dressing gowns, a bridesmaid's dress, and once, for one of my children's history lesson, I even knitted a ball and chain for a medieval knight!

I miss knitting a lot.... iit was great fun!
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

No active projects right now. I need to finish the Frog Prince toy and the stuffed pig before Willa is old enough to want to play with them!

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=207.msg11070#msg11070 date=1289266581]

I've heard its easier on people with carpal tunnel.
          [/quote]

It's the only way I learned. When I knit in public, I've had plenty of people spaz about it. I've been shown the other way (throwing?) but it seems soooo clumsy!

The Pagan Porch - a Pagan Homesteading forum

Sand Holler Farm Blog - aren't you just dying to know what I do all day?

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=207.msg11070#msg11070 date=1289266581]
            [/quote]

[quote author=Madness link=topic=207.msg11175#msg11175 date=1289316450]
            It's the only way I learned. When I knit in public, I've had plenty of people spaz about it. I've been shown the other way (throwing?) but it seems soooo clumsy!
            [/quote]

Lol. I didn't know what's continental knitting and had to check it out. And I think that's how I've always done it. But well, I'm left-handed and my school teachers or mother couldn't teach me properly so I just had to watch them doing it "normal way" and figure out things on my own. Maybe that's where things went wrong. Nice to know now that I'm not doing it "wrongly", it's just a different style. :P (i also pick the loops from the right stick, but that's another story)

Later I've also learned to do it "properly", English way, but I mainly knit in the continental way because it feel easier (of course as that's what i've learned at first).

Comment

I learned the 'throwing' way but after I saw a friend from the Ukraine knit I copied her. She does it the 'continental ' way. She called it the European way vs. the American way

I find they both bother my carpel tunnel, but less so since I've had the surgery on my right wrist.
              What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

I've heard square needles are easier on the hands, though I can't see why they would be. I bet there's a huge thread on Ravelry about it though... :P

I've just finished my latest project but piccies will have to wait for a bit.

Comment

Happily obsessed knitter here. I have chronic startitis so my UFO list is stupidly long. Xmas knitting is in full swing with one bag and one headband done so far!

Comment

Ooh Christmas knitting, now that's brave. I'm afraid I'm a member of the Selfish Knitter's group on Ravelry, and a fan of the Selfish Seamstress. The main reason I knit and sew is to make pretty (and once I'm better at it, well fitting) things for me. ME! Hahahah cackle.

Ahem. Ok me and a very few knitworthy people.

I'm still doing that tank top. It has a dropped stitch pattern and like a complete moron I made it in a slightly fuzzy yarn. Not very fuzzy, but fuzzy enough that little bits of one stitch are always caught up in the stitch above, which means I have to drop each and every stitch by hand. Gah! I've also recently discovered the joy of socks.

Comment

I'm so proud of me, I was off most of last week and blocked two entire lap quilts. Both are a bit over-sized and one is so over-sized it's almost big enough for a twin bed. Pictures forthcoming.

Comment

Fun Storm! Can't wait to see!
                        Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

[quote author=Storm link=topic=177.msg1306#msg1306 date=1286838578]I'm in the middle of a mini-skirt for her, and a dress for me.
                          I love my sewing machine!

[/quote]
                          Mini-skirt shouldn't take long ...
                          I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Quilt #3

Quilt #4

Top sheets for two of the quilts I'm working on. Quilt #3 is for my smexy chaplain who has a fondness for the color green. Quilt #4 is the result of having too many pieces of leftover green fabric from quilt #3. Quilt #2 is on the lap loom and I haven't taken a picture of that one. That would be my daughter peeking over quilt #4.

Comment

finals are *almost* done...which means sewing is GAME ON!!
                              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                              sigpic

Comment

I gave my sewing machine such a work out in october that i feel it may still need another month to recover, however, ive got an old pair of jeans i wanna make into a bit of a longer skirt for winter, which i might do this next week or so, just to give my sewing machine a nice warm up lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X