Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Three can keep a secret if two are dead...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three can keep a secret if two are dead...

So an Oxford researcher went and worked out an equation regarding how long a given secret can be maintained by a large group and then started analysing large conspiracies theories with it...

If you're thinking of creating a massive conspiracy, you may be better scaling back your plans, according to an Oxford University researcher.

I want to get a look at this man's math because this entertains me.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Re: Three can keep a secret if two are dead...

Jet fuel may not melt steal beams but Mathematics melts 9/11 Truther memes.

Comment

Re: Three can keep a secret if two are dead...

He may well be right about the number of people, but: the lower level players IRL have no idea what the big picture is. Example: Pharmaceutical reps are told to push a certain drug, given bonuses, etc., and are told it's a great drug and people will benefit, and it costs the company little, etc. When in reality there could be all sorts of schemes going on involving human testing in other countries, etc., and they want to bring in the money before they get caught, or knowledge of a bad side effect and also want to bring in the money before it's too big to be contained, etc. The common denominator is money in pretty much all of these things, regardless of scale, whether it's the Vatican, drugs, government, etc. Point being that very, very few people know the whole story, and those who do have the most money, and won't risk losing it by blabbing to an entry level player.
      sigpic
      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Each man who is wise and would wise be called
        must ask and answer aright.
        Let one know thy secret, but never a second,
        if three a thousand shall know.
        śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
        śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

Working...
        X