No announcement yet.

REligions: the same or different?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Medusa's QDJ(year of the $1 pickle!)

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
    Are not some the champagne of beers?...I heard that somewhere...
    In the ongoing metaphor, the champagne of beers would be what Republicans are calling Christianity in America.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Maybe we should move this to its own thread? Jaja? Because it's a good conversation but I don't want to squash it with another question.
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

You bring the beer B. De.,and Duce you bring the cookies,and start another thread. Or should I have said wine and wafers??
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
          Maybe we should move this to its own thread? Jaja? Because it's a good conversation but I don't want to squash it with another question.
          Originally posted by anunitu View Post
          You bring the beer B. De.,and Duce you bring the cookies,and start another thread. Or should I have said wine and wafers??

DONE!

(also, ALL is an absolutist sort of word to use...and the only absolute is that there are no other absolutes)
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Re: REligions: the same or different?

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
            Thalassa,
            Look at the definition of a religion under the IRS codes. Since churches are automatically 501c3 organizations (tax exempt) the IRS has a definition of what is necessary to be considered a religion and a church. It differs from the court's decisions.

Why I discount IRS regulatory definitions, as told in comedy:

^also another similarity--there are always jerks, regardless of denomination that will try to screw you using religion to get money

(also, why I despise the "prosperity gospel", and the reason why I look side-eyed at organized religions before I decide how seriously to take them)
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

There's a prevailing thread in most religions, in theory if not in practice, of doing unto others as you'd have done to yourself, or the "golden rule", etc. What seems to be similar in practice is how the leaders teach of the frivolity of material goods, yet live in opulence. (Not every one, but you get my drift.)
              sigpic
              Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

All religions are different depending on which belief system you go by. But there's one thing that all religions have in common: There's a god or goddess.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
                  All religions are different depending on which belief system you go by. But there's one thing that all religions have in common: There's a god or goddess.

Untrue for quite a few religions.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                    Untrue for quite a few religions.
                    Really? Explain yourself please.

Comment

I look at religion as a community of people utilizing a common set of beliefs to connect with the divine. I see this more as a man made construct. I believe that people were never meant to be solitary beings as a whole and that is why we congregate in cities. Religion tends to give people a sense of belonging. As a recovering alcoholic my place is in the 12-step community which we do not view as a religion but it includes a belief in higher power which can and is often very diverse. In this way it allows all those who practice the 12-steps a sense of community and belonging that eludes so many addicts. I am also a substance abuse counselor and one of the biggest detriments that I see for my clients is a lack of positive community. So in short, for me it is the human aspect of belonging that helps give voice to our spiritual needs.

Comment

Ok now I get it. But just to let everybody know that Atheism is a non-religious group. So many people believe that Atheism is a religion but the truth really isn't a religion.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
                          Ok now I get it. But just to let everybody know that Atheism is a non-religious group. So many people believe that Atheism is a religion but the truth really isn't a religion.
                          I'm an atheist. I declare it as my 'religion' on forms that ask. Why? Because it is indeed covered in the workplace. They cannot discriminate against me because of my religion. I am legally covered just like every other religious person. I'm not less than everyone else because I didn't pick your god to follow.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                            I'm an atheist. I declare it as my 'religion' on forms that ask. Why? Because it is indeed covered in the workplace. They cannot discriminate against me because of my religion. I am legally covered just like every other religious person. I'm not less than everyone else because I didn't pick your god to follow.
                            It may be useful to you to declare atheism as a religion, but that doesn't make it one.

One dictionary defined religion as "the outward act or form by which men indicate their recognition of the existence of a god or of gods" and that's what people would normally understand by the term. In that sense, all religions are the same in that they all fit the definition. But that's like saying "all mammals are the same -- whale and mouse"!

It's difficult to see any other similarity between a pagans who consider this world worth living in and Christians or Buddhists who (in theory, at least) considers it a place to escape from.

Comment

I declare it for the purposes of it being on equal stand with religion in regards to the 1st amendment. (The Supreme court agrees) Thankfully I have a back door pass. I'm a Satanist. Totally covered as my religion. So neener neener.

Comment

You will most likely be good Duce,until they say L. Ron's little group can not get tax exemption. The guy outright said he formed it so he would not have to pay taxes.

Also if Scientology is a religion,then say you worship toe jam,and away you go....
                                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
                                X