BO problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BO problems

Very true, but, if OP does not have any plant allergies, EO's may be the best bet.
    "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
    And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
    They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
    The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
    - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Norse_Angel View Post
      Very true, but, if OP does not have any plant allergies, EO's may be the best bet.
      Maybe. The problem there is that only 2 EO's are "safe" to use neat, everything else needs to be diluted. Dilution in alcohol-based solutions can cause problems with dermatitis. Dilution in carrier oils can be comedogenic and raise its own problems--even "non-comedogenic oils" can be problematic for some people in that area, as a "food source" to bacteria, including yeasts.

The "best" "natural" alternative to deo that I have found (from when I was a corpsman, working in radiation oncology, because patients there were advised not to use deo due to possibly skin irritation, though recent studies have found that this is not an issue) is a combination of arrowroot powder and/or cornstarch and baking soda (which is aluminum free automatically) applied as a powder---exact proportions will depend on the person, but anywhere from a 1:3/1:1 ratio is okay...unless you have any scratches or open skin (baking soda stings like a mofo). Lavender, tea tree oil, etc are good germ-killa EO's, though tea tree can be a bit tingly (both of these are generally safe to use neat, depending on the area you are putting them on) that can be added if there's no allergy risk, as are a few others, though there are a number of EOs that I would avoid putting into a mix that is going on such a sensitive area.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
        Also, some people are allergic to the metal compounds (usually aluminum) in the form that they are present in cosmetics. TBH, metal allergies are quite common, as well as fragrance allergies.

The point is that he's tried all the commercial deodorants available to him and they cause an allergic reaction.

And just washing isn't the solution. Even antibacterial soaps (which are actually bad for you to use continuously) only kill 99.9% of bacteria.
        Well is that the case then I'm afraid that I'm all out of ideas to how to solve his body odor problem. There's has to be something he can do.

Comment

Talked to my union, have a medical certificate - am trying the rock for now - but my union says it would end up being a discriminatory unfair dismissal if I get fired now I have the medical certificate. Hopefully the Rock works. And I've also been told that if she keeps being rude and confrontational about it I can give her a harassment warning.

Comment

Originally posted by Marradin View Post
            Talked to my union, have a medical certificate - am trying the rock for now - but my union says it would end up being a discriminatory unfair dismissal if I get fired now I have the medical certificate. Hopefully the Rock works. And I've also been told that if she keeps being rude and confrontational about it I can give her a harassment warning.
            Have your co-workers complained about your odor or anything? I've had to work with a few very bad bo people. And I'll be honest. I've had to step away from them.
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Are you allergic to baby powder? That might work.
              Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Talcum powder Strongly advised against by my doctor using any powder bases. I Spend about 10 mins a week in the presence of most of my clients, collecting security tapes to review that sort of thing. That is one of the reasons I find this so annoying - most of my work is solo.

Comment

Talcum powder Strongly advised against by my doctor using any powder bases. I Spend about 10 mins a week in the presence of most of my clients, collecting security tapes to review that sort of thing. That is one of the reasons I find this so annoying - most of my work is solo.
                  This sounds weird, but I saw on some danish forum someone suggested washing the armpits with intimate hygiene soap, let it stay there for about 10 minutes before rinsing it. Apparently that worked for someone, might be worth a try?
                  You remind me of the babe
                  What babe?
                  The babe with the power
                  What power?
                  The Power of voodoo
                  Who do?
                  You do!
                  Do what?
                  Remind me of the babe!

Comment

Originally posted by iris View Post
                    This sounds weird, but I saw on some danish forum someone suggested washing the armpits with intimate hygiene soap, let it stay there for about 10 minutes before rinsing it. Apparently that worked for someone, might be worth a try?
                    I said that already. But thelassa said that soap doesn't work.

Comment

intimate hygiene soap,is not regular soap. Might fall into the summers eve family....
                      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
                        I said that already. But thelassa said that soap doesn't work.
                        I said that even antibacterial soap only kills 99.9% of bacteria. Depending on the specific species of bacteria, a population can double in size in 2-4 hours in good conditions (good conditions being damp and warm, which is just about every armpit, ever).

It's not a practical solution, to shower that frequently. Plus it will dry your skin out and make sensitive skin more sensitive.

Plus, triclosan is bad. (hopefully a problem going away soon--not sure what the status of triclosan is in the UK, but its still in a huge number of products in the US)
                        Last edited by thalassa; 15 Feb 2016, 07:43.
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

I have just had my job threatened and want to ask if there is anything I can do beyond moving to - effectively - the rock - as replacement for my current deodorant - which isn't working any more. The deodorant I use was the last stick type - that didn't cause a rash. I get rashes from all spray and roll-on deodorants. I have a long history of allergies, my boss wanted me to try talcum powders but my doctor nixed that one.

I have a medical certificate for my boss basically stating that due to my allergies my choices in 'Personal hygiene' extras were very limited. Just wanting to know if there was anything extra I could do. The doctor BTW thinks my hygiene regime is 'better than average'.
                          My son actually uses women's deodorant because men's tends to give him a rash. You could try that perhaps?

Comment

I don't have an answer to what kind of deodorant (or, 'odorant' as my hubby likes to call it) to use. I'm in a similar boat, myself. I can't use gel based deodorants because it gives me a rash. Other deodorants don't last long, if they even work in the first place. Now, I didn't really have many issues with this until I changed my diet, last year. It changed my body chemistry which resulted in me having to look for new things. (there's a thread any that floating around here somewhere).
                            I'm wondering if you're experiencing a similar problem. Did you make dietary changes a few months leading up to this becoming an issue for you?
                            �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                            ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                            Sneak Attack
                            Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Trying to respond to A few things here
                              1) Tried women's deoderent - it's the base that I'm allergic to
                              2) no dietary changes in 3 years.
                              3) only significant change was sinus surgery last year to help me breathe better. not going back on that - my health has improved immensely
                              The rock seems to be working. but when I had 3 days off I forgot to put it on for 2 days and got a rash - wondering if that was because of the changes the rock causes - but that - so far - is dealable with.

Comment

Found a homemade deodorant recipe in an ancient thread.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Working...
                                X