Fear of a vengeful God may explain humanity’s global expansion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fear of a vengeful God may explain humanity’s global expansion

This is an interesting idea,though it most likely will not be everyones cup of tea.
    The Site.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
      It's true. God is watching you. So obey him.
      I have a problem with authority.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
        It's true. God is watching you. So obey him.
        I didn't consent to God watching me. What a perv.
        Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
              So do we get to blame god for all those people who died in his name? Or do we cop out and just say yeah, that was us.
              Can we just blame humanity for being selfish and call it good?
              Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
                Can we just blame humanity for being selfish and call it good?
                Satanism for the win!
                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                  , finds that people who hold such beliefs about God tend to act less selfishly WHEN MAKING DECISIONS THAT IMPACT PEOPLE IN THEIR RELIGIOUS IN-GROUP
                  (fixed)

The way that article read, it failed to add one important caveat to their statement.

Other studies have also shown that this "less selfish" behavior goes away when it is directed towards people that are *not* in that ingroup.

Religion exists because it is a co-operative extension of kin-selection....basically it expands who you see as your in-group (nationalism and other place-based identites does the same thing, as does sports team allegiance, etc) (and yet another way in which atheism is, indeed, a religion)
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by THANK... View Post
                      I don't agree. There was a poll in 2013-2014 that concluded atheist (or non-religious) countries are the happiest countries (such as Norway and Sweden), not to mention many of them are currently on the leading edge of sustainable technology. No god has anything to do with their happiness, but their place in the world as down to Earth human beings who have faith in their families not some mystical being. The most religious countries on the other hand are rife with violence, power corruption and intolerance (Israel, Iraq, America to name a few)

Scientific progression has more to do with global expansion, especially in the modern age. No God of Fear is forcing these brilliant people into research and discovery. The love of humanity, as far as I can tell, is what drives people towards expansion and cultural unity and growth. Another point: Non-religious friends of mine hardly ever talk down on those of us that hold spiritual or religious beliefs and give time and life towards spiritual progression, they actually think it is good for us (even if it is all in our heads), but friends of different spiritual paths tend to argue over who is right - there seems to be much more egocentric behavior, intolerance, and acts of stupidity (by acts of stupidity I mean people arguing over who is right even though neither of the ones debating have taken the time to actually study or engage in the opposing views practices, thus coming from a place of bias and pure ignorance).
                      I think (and the article wasn't clear, but the actual study was), your non-agreement is actually a support of the study.

This has nothing to do with happiness. Actually, quite the reverse, it has to do with colonialism. Also with how religion is divisive. The point being that people will help other people of the same religion even though they are far away, even over people that are nearer to them that are of other religions, people that they might even know and interact with. Because religion is a tie between disparate peoples, when they are the same religion, they tend to be more helpful that they would be otherwise---look at missionaries, at religious charities, about how people are like, "we'll take the Christian refugees, but not those other ones".

Religious countries are more violent, etc by virtue of having an ingroup to reinforce against all the perceived outgroups, even though they might share a nationality.
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by THANK... View Post
                          I don't agree. There was a poll in 2013-2014 that concluded atheist (or non-religious) countries are the happiest countries (such as Norway and Sweden), not to mention many of them are currently on the leading edge of sustainable technology. No god has anything to do with their happiness, but their place in the world as down to Earth human beings who have faith in their families not some mystical being. The most religious countries on the other hand are rife with violence, power corruption and intolerance (Israel, Iraq, America to name a few)

Scientific progression has more to do with global expansion, especially in the modern age. No God of Fear is forcing these brilliant people into research and discovery. The love of humanity, as far as I can tell, is what drives people towards expansion and cultural unity and growth. Another point: Non-religious friends of mine hardly ever talk down on those of us that hold spiritual or religious beliefs and give time and life towards spiritual progression, they actually think it is good for us (even if it is all in our heads), but friends of different spiritual paths tend to argue over who is right - there seems to be much more egocentric behavior, intolerance, and acts of stupidity (by acts of stupidity I mean people arguing over who is right even though neither of the ones debating have taken the time to actually study or engage in the opposing views practices, thus coming from a place of bias and pure ignorance).
                          First off I have two sons who are both atheist and do talk down on those of us who believe in higher power (s). They are just two though. I also reject this article's premise about selflessness. What it didn't point out is that people acting less selfish out of fear of retribution is in fact an act of selfishness. Now acting selfless because it is the right thing to do versus because Odin or some other big ass God is going to smite you mightly if you don't. To act with kindness and respect to all beings of the world is indeed one of the greatest acts of selflessness.

Comment

Originally posted by Taulmaril View Post
                            ...I also reject this article's premise about selflessness. What it didn't point out is that people acting less selfish out of fear of retribution is in fact an act of selfishness. Now acting selfless because it is the right thing to do versus because Odin or some other big ass God is going to smite you mightly if you don't. To act with kindness and respect to all beings of the world is indeed one of the greatest acts of selflessness.
                            Agreed.

Comment

Working...
                            X