Plus size VS Model thin..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plus size VS Model thin..

Saw this about plus size models and Model thin images and I wondered about bone thin images.

This is plus size..looks like most of the women I knew in the REAL world.

Now the model thin image kinda made me think of the Holocaust images.

I do wonder about society and its idea of beauty in some circles.

- - - Updated - - -

And this image kinda shocked me..

MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Re: Plus size VS Model thin..

I will try very hard not to bite anyone's head off here.
    The first one might have a few extra kilos than what would be considdered 'normal' (what is normal anyway), she's pretty, she's probably perfectly healthy so who cares. That's what matters isn't it? Health.
    now. The second one I see nothing wrong with either. Some women do look like that too. I am one of those women, and I am sick of defending my right to look like that. Or getting told that I'm not beautiful, or a woman, because I don't have curves. Can't we just agree that what matters is how healthy you are, not how much you weigh? Both of those women look healthy to me...

Despite being model sized I can never find clothes that fit because, here at least, they're made for. Ehm. Bustier women once they hit the stores, despite what the models on the runway look like...
    I never considdered the fashion industry a measurement of beauty, I never understood people who do. It's more of an art form... who would wear most of the stuff that comes down tfe runway in paris? I for one rarely find myself painted silver wearing a seethrough dress with feather stuck on (no but really... look at some of it!)...
    I think it's problematic that the models are ALL thin and tall. But I hate that whole idea that they should all be bigger because it's 'not natural' or 'normal' to look like that. Well, I do, and I wanna be here too!... get my drift?.. diversity. That's the key.

ad for the last picture. Yea. She's very underweight. I also see the letters 'Anor' and 'i' printed beside her, so I'm guessing it's probably about anorexia... just a guess. But out of context there's no knowing, so I'm not gonna get worked up over it.

Sorry if I strayed too much, or ranted too much.
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

I've been all over the size range in my lifetime, and it's really weird how people treat each other based on that.
      sigpic
      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Plus size models rules! I wouldn't mind dating a plus size model.

Comment

My post was more about the idea that only super thin is ok,and it came from Cheryl Tiegs who had this to say.

LOS ANGELES, Feb. 26 (UPI) -- Former model Cheryl Tiegs blasted the new swimsuit edition of Sports Illustrated because she thinks cover model Ashley Graham's full figure is not healthy.

This is what I was on about.

Full figure,thin figure, and the attack on all of them because it does not fit the "Norm,that sellers sell"

Link for Story.
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Well quite apart from images, which have obvious power to shape people's consciousness, I think that the sizing of clothes is an even more subtle problem that can make women feel uncertain about their bodies.

It may seem like just a number, but it's terribly depressing to try to shop and find things that look good on you when you're an 8 at one shop and a 12 at another one, regardless of weight. Or even worse, a different size for a different brand even from the same place.

I'm 5'7 and I've weighed everywhere from 98 pounds to 180 pounds, and my weight has never made me feel badly about my unclothed body (though gravity has occasionally begun to now that I am pushing 40 lol). But nothing will make me feel fat, ugly, dumpy, shaped weird, too big here, too small there etc etc like trying to pick out clothes that look good on me. I walk in feeling great, but on 90% of shopping trips I walk out sad.

I wish they would just standardize sizes instead of this stupidity of cheap clothes running smaller and expensive ones running larger.

Comment

Cheryl Tiegs does have a point about health. We all know (unless we live in a cave) that a lot of the health problems arising in later life are associated with being overweight. Claims that slim models promote anorexia are just silly: anyone should be able to see the difference between the second and third pictures in the original post. In the UK, women are 30 times more likely to be obese than anorexic, but we never get complaints about the appearance of Rebel Wilson on TV promoting obesity.

Personally, I think the woman in the second picture looks great!

Comment

The thing about plus size models is that plus size, as defined by the fashion industry, is typically a size 12 and above (some sites say 10 above, others 14 above, I've even some size 8s be referred to as plus sized).

The average woman is a size 14. So already the average woman is a plus size person, but the fashion industry ignores them and designs their clothes for the smaller sizes. Models are usually required to be thin for many reasons: less fabric used on clothing, less variation in body types which means they can easily switch out if a model isn't able to appear/they don't have models' measurements, etc.

Don't get me wrong, the top two models in the OP are gorgeous. Ultimately, as long as someone is healthy, I'm happy. And people have so many variations on body types, we really can't necessarily judge someone's health by it. I think Cheryl Tiegs is wrong in her statement, because there are people who have more heft on them that are in way better shape than me and eat better, exercise more, etc.

The fashion industry though, oh man. They are so cutthroat and the way they treat models is abhorrent and just urgh. I'm so glad more "plus size" models are being recognized. I also think the industry is messed up because there is no way to actual measure the sizes for women's wear. As someone mentioned above, in some stores/brands I'm a size 14, in others I'm a size 10, and there's a few where I can still wear juniors. It's a mess, and there needs to be an overhaul.
                ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

I think it all depends on the models self-esteem. So many disrespectful people are saying that "you're too skinny to be a model." to thin models and other disrespectful people are saying that "you're too fat to be a model." and models lose their self-esteem by hearing those hurtful words.

Comment

I'm all for fat or skinny. I mean so what. What I'm not for is making a comment out of 'care' to a heavier woman. All in the guise of 'caring'. You don't effing care about my health. Shut your pie hole.

Sorta like that. That's how I feel.

I want pie.
                    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Western medicine's ideas of what a "healthy" weight is isn't supported by anything other than Western medicine's idea of what a "healthy" weight it--the Western diet, of course, being a hot mess...and the assumption is that being overweight is a) preventable by "health" and b) that eschewing or controlling calories from such a diet means that you are somehow healthier. And TBH, Western medicine doesn't even know what "healthy" is when it comes to weight or truly how one *actually* achieves a "healthy weight".

Morbid obesity is bad for you, yes. But being overweight isn't necessarily bad for you . As a (former) corpsman, I've seen any number of fit looking, exercising, fit eating people keel over of an early heart attack, clock in with uber high BP, have LDLs off the charts, and even be Type II Diabetics. And, I'd not be at all surprised to find that that being overweight or even mildly obese with a non-Western (or non-standard Western-ish) diet is healthier than being a "healthy weight" on a Western diet.

The failings of the Western diet and Western medicine aside, as a former teenage girl with teenage girl friends, that later was a camp counselor for teenage girls, and went on to serve as a medic for plenty of teenage girls (right out of boot camp), I find the idea that skinny models, magazines and the media, and the fashion industry promoting anorexia (or other eating disorders) "are just silly" be a dangerous and very untrue idea. Additionally, being overweight does not make one immune to anorexia or bulimia (nor does it mean that either one is "safer" than if you are skinny since the assumption is that you can stand to loose a few).

And this:
                      I'm all for fat or skinny. I mean so what. What I'm not for is making a comment out of 'care' to a heavier woman. All in the guise of 'caring'. You don't effing care about my health. Shut your pie hole.

But I like blackberry cobbler better than pie.

Otherwise hell-to-the-yes.

And I think the first pic is hot.
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

I've come to realise that the media is there to sell us a version of reality that is similar to the real world but just a bit 'better' because there's no profit to be made from people who are happy with what they have and who they are. It's not a big conspiracy, like everyone got around the table and said 'let's make everyone feel inferior..' but rather, it's a consequence of a capitalist culture. We are shown a world where beauty is superficial, because we can't buy personality. An exaggerated version of beauty is used because those trying to sell us the clothes or products can't afford to lose potential customers because of our individual preferences on what counts as beauty. So they airbrush and photoshop their models to appeal to the widest possible audience. A concept the biologists amongst you will be familiar with as a 'supernormal stimulus'.

They don't necessarily mean us harm, but companies DO want to make us feel that buying x product will make us as happy or successful as the people in the images (which only works if they make our real lives appear somewhat lacking).

I was going to reply with something similar when Thal posted the morning routine thread, because the author of the article in question is a classic example of someone who has bought the myth and is living a superficial life of fabricated happiness.. 'I'm working out for 3 hours before work, breakfast was a super-juice, my hair is perfect, my clothes are designer.. I'm living the dream...' 'No love, you're reenacting a commercial break...'

It's no secret that I've had body image issues. When I was starting to recover, it was quickly replaced by a feeling of inadequacy over my home and belongings. It was then that I realised those feelings were all linked. Once I realised that it's just an easily salable concept of 'happiness' because the things that truly make us happy can't be bought, I learnt to stop paying it so much attention. Now I can get back to caring about the things that really DO matter.

So.. honestly, I think 'healthy' is as much about what's going on in your head as it is about weight. Sure, if your weight (or lack of) is causing you health problems, or genuinely making you unhappy, then seek support to do something about it if you so wish. But if you think your happiness and wellbeing is dependent on your weight, you're likely to be pretty disappointed when/if you reach that ideal. Just like the 'perfect' woman who wrote that article about succesful women, will no doubt discover (although she'll probably just assume it's because her teeth need more work, or she should get a better car... or cut something else from her diet). Because that world where only beautiful people are happy isn't real. Happy people are happy because they're happy people.. whether they fit the media profile of beautiful or not.

Now.. did someone mention pie?
                        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Give me a Romanesque model any day, ladies with curves where they should be, not these airbrushed skeletors

Comment

In 1980, I was wearing the same bikini Christie Brinkley wore on the Sports Illustrated cover. But I was not having a good time in life, and I was obsessed with thinness. Looking like that did not make anyone magically love me, which is what I was looking for back then. I was starving myself to death based on what the media told me was ideal. Boy have I changed, inside and out. LOL I'm very glad I got over all that, and survived!
                            sigpic
                            Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post

I want pie.
                              This. This! Yes.
                              Happens to skinnier too. Can't tell you hiw often I get 'A bit omore wight would do you good' like that never occured to me... shut up. Mind your own buisinss.

Want ice cream with that? I've got the freezer full.
                              You remind me of the babe
                              What babe?
                              The babe with the power
                              What power?
                              The Power of voodoo
                              Who do?
                              You do!
                              Do what?
                              Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Working...