Plus size VS Model thin..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Plus size VS Model thin..

Sorry, insufficient sample to draw a conclusion.

Please supply more along the lines of the first image.

Yes, both the first and second images can be normal. Not all women have wide hips or rib cage that create hourglass figures, and that's fine.

We all have our own definition of what's beautiful and, let's not fool ourselves, appearance does matter. However, if someone you like doesn't find you attractive, that's fine. Find someone else.
    I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
    Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
    But that day you know I left my money
    And I thought of you only
    All that copper glowing fine

Comment

Truth be told,I have always been very thin..had a 30 inch waist right up till I hit about 55. I was also hit with the "Are you sick" being that thin. I had to eat high calorie stuff all the time just to keep what weight I had. I was what is commonly called wiry,strong but not bulky..to the point it surprised people at how strong I really was. So,I kinda know from a male perspective about this subject.
      After 55 I started to collect more weight,I think my metabolism finally slowed enough to gain some extra weight.
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I don't mind the plus size model in this post, or the medium size model. But what about men? I personaly like men with some meat on their abs. You don't have to sculpt yourself to the idea of a perfect man, you can be perfect but not have abs. You can be a perfect man and not attract the men/women alike that are represented in this post. You don't have to be the perfect supermodel.

Comment

The fashion world is ridiculous. That woman in the original world (while fairly average) is still heavier than a good chunk of "plus sized" models out there. I think age limits would actually fix a lot of it. Whereas in the past (and by "past", I mean 1990), the fashion norm was "tall slim woman," now it's "14-year-old," and adult women have to fit the profile if they want to work. There's a fetishization of young teens, and it's creepy, gross, and wrong.

That being said, I hate a lot of the backlash against thin models in general. There are women that generally have a really slim figure (Audrey Hepburn stands out as an example), and shaming them into feeling like they are not "real women" is wrong and unfair. We are all "real women." We just need to feel comfortable in the skin we're in, and society needs to respect a broader spectrum of body types.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by DavidMcCann View Post
          Cheryl Tiegs does have a point about health. We all know (unless we live in a cave) that a lot of the health problems arising in later life are associated with being overweight.

No, she doesn't. She doesn't know anything about that model or her physical health, and she is not a doctor.

Comment

I just want to know who makes pants for women? Because NO ONE on the planet can just make a decent pair of pants. Not for skinny gals. No for big ones. No one.
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
              I just want to know who makes pants for women? Because NO ONE on the planet can just make a decent pair of pants. Not for skinny gals. No for big ones. No one.
              Amen! How hard can it be!? When I find a pair that fits I hoard them. Meaning I now have 4 pairs of pants I use... that look exactly the same -.-
              You remind me of the babe
              What babe?
              The babe with the power
              What power?
              The Power of voodoo
              Who do?
              You do!
              Do what?
              Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                Yep.

Pants aren't something that lend themselves well to standardized sizing. Unlike skirts, shirts, and dresses, they have to fit more or less closely, and women's figures have so many variations (hip-waist ratio! leg length! thigh width!). There's just so much going on. Most people just go with whatever fits the closest. Back in the day, more people tailored their pants. I prefer stretch jeans because you can usually get away with more, but I make most of my other pants for this reason.

We're not really alone in this, though. All of my male friends and relatives complain about the difficulty of finding a pair of men's pants that fit. I know for sure that 90% of pants look weird on my boyfriend, because I've gone shopping with him.

Comment

Originally posted by iris View Post
                  Amen! How hard can it be!? When I find a pair that fits I hoard them. Meaning I now have 4 pairs of pants I use... that look exactly the same -.-
                  My favorite pants: http://www.columbia.com/womens-anyti...or=010#start=2

I have them in all 5 colors, and 2 of the black and 2 of the gray. One pair for every day of the week. They are water repellent, SPF 50, and comfy. Plus they actually fit well, once they've been hemmed. The only thing that would make them better are some buttons and tabs to turn them into capris for the summer...though I think they actually make a capri or Bermuda length short version.
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

I generally agree with all that has been said about pants, except to say that from my informal polling, boot cut seems to be the style that the most women feel the most comfortable in.

The only thing I would change about my body isn't weight based at all, and that is that I have a very long torso ... makes belting anything at my waist look like a funny mirror image and makes my lower half look saggier than it technically is.

Comment

I just watched a 28 minute 'artisanal' video on the making of non compromised denim pants. All the way from the pick of the cotton in Africa to the way it's dyed.

Of course these are pants for men.

Because ef me.
                      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                        The fashion world is ridiculous. That woman in the original world (while fairly average) is still heavier than a good chunk of "plus sized" models out there.
                        Gah I just re-read this today. I meant "That woman in the original post (while fairly average) is still heavier than a good chunk of models out there." Moral of the story, don't make forum posts while talking to your boyfriend in German on Skype!

Anyway, I wanted to clarify this, because I didn't want to call her fat. I just wanted to point out how a lot of really normal-sized women are "plus size" models. I think it sends a horrible message to women and especially girls, because it basically says that that size is above average, which isn't the case.

Comment

here here or is it hear hear. It doesn't matter, what matters is that you're health. You don't have to be a supermodel to be healthy.

Comment

yeah, a lot of people have said it, or something like it, but i only have one problem with naturally skinny models: they are overrepresented in the industry. that said, i hate the ones that starve themselves to stay thin, and i hate that the average healthy woman is, as far as modelling is concerned, plus-sized. I was, apparently, plus sized at size 12, when i was fourteen ... and skinny as can be, for my build. that's aussie sizes, btw. but all the girls i knew were either very petite, as in short and fine boned, 'normal' size, and wearing the same size clothes as me ... or tall (like me), and/or heavily built (not in the sense of the euphemism of fat).

the heavily built ones were either healthy weight for their height, bone structure and musculature, or anorexic because of bullying. admittedly i never really knew many people my age who were overweight, but this focus on skinny being the only form of beautiful is as unhealthy as the attitude that the hourglass figure was the only form of beautiful, which lead to figure-shaping corsets. and pain. lots of pain.

another thing is, taking out of the equation things like weak ankles, and preexisting conditions made worse by weight, being overweight is actually healthier than being underweight, at comparable margins. it's just better known because the upper limit on weight before it causes death is much higher, proportionate to your body's health range, than the lower limit is low ... and that sentence sucked, but the point is there.

also, it's been mentioned before, but current standards of beauty, creepy. skinny, only hair is on your head, strikes me as prepubescent ... and most of the men i know ... aka most of my friends, and friends' hubbys ... don't actually find it beautiful. might just be the crowd i hang with, but what they like are signs that the woman is, shock horror, a woman, and her confidence. that's not to say that all of them go for personality, but they like a mature face, not being able to count their partner's ribs, visible breasts, that sort of thing.

so, in conclusion, i think we're all in agreement that healthy is more attractive than skinny, healthy weight varies from person to person, calling models wearing the most common clothing size 'plus-sized' is stupid, and the current trend of skinny, all bodily hair removed is creepy.

also, standardised sizes are not necessarily good for anyone. especially in pants.

and there's too many super-skinny models.

Comment

To be honest, a lot of the weight in modelling, as well as that really "young" look, stems from the age of the models. Models have become younger and younger over the past couple of decades, and a lot of the ones doing ads and magazine spreads are 14-ish. That's how so many of them have those figures. They're not really starving themselves; they just haven't filled out yet. There's a lot of talk about imposing BMI minimums in the industry, but I think imposing age limits would go just as far. It's not a good industry for teen girls, anyway. They're really sexualized a lot of the time, there are a lot of creepy men around, the hours are long (which isn't really great if you're going to school), etc.

Comment

There's a growing trend towards bigger sized male models also. Not everyone can, wants to, or ever will look like the cover models of Men's Health or Men's Fitness, or the uber fit-looking models on tv or in print ads. I may have a bit of a personal bias because I'm a little more than "husky" (an understatement) for my height... 5'5", 215 lbs, 42 waist pants. Of course I spent 15 of the last 20 years power lifting and power eating for it.

My orthopedic surgeon said when he did my lumbar fusion, not only did he get a workout flipping me over (had to open front and back to access my discs and vertebrae), but it was a real job getting into the muscle. The point being that because of my proportions I get the "you got tubby" and "what happened to you?" remarks (ironically, mostly from family) altogether too often. I dread weddings and funerals when I haven't seen relatives in years. I've been body-shamed also, even as a man. I'll try to stay healthy (b.p., b.g. are perfect, total chol. is perfect, LDL and HDL could be better, but that's familial). You can be fit and fat, so looks are deceiving. This idea of the "ideal" male or female shape needs to get kicked to the curb.
                                śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
                                śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

Working...
                                X