Camping and Hiking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camping and Hiking

Who else spends a lot of time pretending to be homeless in expensive gear?

Re: Camping and Hiking

We do...We've been a bit limited in our excursions for the past few years, but now that the kids are able to carry their own gear, we've been getting them used to hiking.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

We do! We try to do an excursion once a year. We to both bike trips and hiking trips. Cycling is easier, because you don't really have to carry everything. Yes, gear still weighs down your bike, but it's not really as intense.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
        Who else spends a lot of time pretending to be homeless in expensive gear?
        Spend most of the warm months wandering about in the outback, but without the expensive gear.
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I'm trying to get on the Appalachian Trail again some time this year.

I'm unfortunately one of those lightweight nuts. Spending lots of money to shave an ounce off the pack weight. It's ridicolous.

Comment

I don't get to camp as much as I would like, but I spend most of my weekends exploring city and county parks with my dogs.

We aren't "just around the block" sorts and if we have a choice between some knarly woods or a sidewalk, we usually take the woods. I would call what we do sufficiently rugged as to be considered hiking.

But I do look homeless/homeless when I do it. No expensive gear lol.

ETA: My dogs are little fellows, so the initial impression can be a bit frou frou but they are down and dirty squirrel chasers and not one bit prissy.
            Last edited by TxanGoddess; 01 Mar 2016, 08:07.

Comment

Up until last year, I hated camping. Now, I'm hoping I can do more of it, as my health permits.
              Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Before I got to the point where I could no longer sleep on the ground I enjoyed backpacking into the wilderness areas and spending time connected to the natural world. I miss being able to do that because I always felt like I was truly home when I was miles from the nearest road and living off the land, with a few comfort items. I may recover to a point where I can do it again but at 65, with a busted up back, I wonder if I will be able to ever do it again.
                The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

I'd love to be able again but my partner's joint issues and Epilepsy make it to much of a strain and risk to her to even try

Comment

I used to spend lots of time on the trail or just camping. Many times with just the family, other times with various Boy Scout / Cub Scout groups. Didn't really matter if it was low impact camping, wilderness style camping (basically nothing extra and a tent made from a poncho type situation) to full on cabin tents or actual cabins. Sadly the mind is willing but the body has aged to much and taken on to many hurts to do so now. Still sometimes the call echoes from the mountain peaks as I drive along and i'll wander into the woods for a bit but never deep anymore or for long distances.
                    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Lack of snow and ice means early camping in the mountains.

Comment

Nice set up!

I haven't been out yet this year, but that's just because the snow JUST started melting, and I'm moving in a week. I'm hoping to go out for the first time in perhaps two weeks here. And then it's solid until October, early November when the bitter cold comes back.

Mostly art.

Comment

Usually we wouldn't be able to camp for another month due to snowmelt and mud but Winter justs didn't happen this year.

That was actually my first night in that tent. It was kind of a "work" outting as they sent me that tent to write a review for. It's pretty nice. It's a 2p tent that comes in at only 2 pounds.

Comment

Yeah, I recognized the logo as one of those crazy ultralight tents. Also, the fabric looks like it's made from 10 denier, or something stupid.

Mostly art.

Comment

You think that's crazy ultralight? Take a look at my Zpacks Hexamid. 15 ounces and all cuben fiber. I'm using it on the PCT next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X