Dumb Article You Guys should Love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dumb Article You Guys should Love

I came across a article and i thought you guys should like it. It was a article saying that Asatru is the new religion of choice for white supremacists? What do you guys think?
    I call bullcrap personally.
    For one, most people in major white supremacist groups ((Like the Assyrian brotherhood and the KKK)) is still Christianity, second, their are much more white supremacist's who worship Jesus and god then the amount of Asatru's alive. Also white supremacists who have done major acts of terrorism are Christians or Atheist.

Re: Dumb Article You Guys should Love

Please correct me if this is wrong, but I understand that some Astaru paths are...what's the stupid word that was used..."racicentric". Basic gist is that if your heritage doesn't match, you aren't allowed to be a part of that particular sect. Are there some who use this in a racist way? Undoubtedly, but I definitely wouldn't paint all heathens or Astaru with that brush. Personally, I dislike the idea of a belief or a diety being only "for" certain people, because I believe the divine is bigger than that, and as people travel and mix, beliefs travel and mix with them.
    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Those who have an ethnic approach in the UK are mostly taking the line that they consider many of their gods to have been ancestors, so why worship some-one else's ancestors? Of course, that has plenty of flaws: even if Woden were an ancestral spirit and I were of Germanic descent, how could I know he was one of my ancestors?

Comment

Heathen traditions are very popular among white nationalists particularly in Europe. So, no, it is not a dumb article.

Comment

Hitler was all about the Aryan spirit when he took over Germany and before that. He didn't like the Jews, but neither did he like Christianity from what I have read. He used the swastika as a symbol, which is actually a divine symbol, and featured a lot of imagery of 'Mother Germany' in his propaganda. So there are some groups that could use paganism if they wanted to, however, it doesn't excuse their racism, of course.
          Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidMcCann View Post
            Those who have an ethnic approach in the UK are mostly taking the line that they consider many of their gods to have been ancestors, so why worship some-one else's ancestors? Of course, that has plenty of flaws: even if Woden were an ancestral spirit and I were of Germanic descent, how could I know he was one of my ancestors?
            If you go back far enough, we're all related anyway. And some of us (like me) have such a wide-spread genetic background that who the hell knows what gods my ancestors worshiped?

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
            Hitler was all about the Aryan spirit when he took over Germany and before that. He didn't like the Jews, but neither did he like Christianity from what I have read. He used the swastika as a symbol, which is actually a divine symbol, and featured a lot of imagery of 'Mother Germany' in his propaganda. So there are some groups that could use paganism if they wanted to, however, it doesn't excuse their racism, of course.
            Hitler was a Catholic, so I'm not sure how much he didn't like Christianity.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

This just seems like confirmation bias to me.

In the case of people who are already weak and insecure, with a need to be better than others, he novelty of supposedly practicing an ancient-but-little-known pagan religion reinforces their need to be special, and anything they can find within that belief system to prop up their prejudices is gravy.

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
                Hitler was a Catholic, so I'm not sure how much he didn't like Christianity.
                How often did he go to Mass?

Hitler also stated that he found Christianity to be "flabby" and pathetic, and actually admired Islam. Reality is, he, like every other tyrant, would exploit traits in any "divine" movement to rally people under his. No different to the modern Sauds who, despite encouraging and fostering an extreme strain of Islam in their country and others, their princes visit sex workers and parties around the world. Oppressive people love things that cause people to want to be oppressed. Certain communistic ideas, certain religions, certain anything that justifies them to the people.

If Hitler was Catholic, I'm the Pope.

Yes, there are some who feel that only a certain ethnicity should worship a certain pantheon. It's not just a white supremacy thing either, there are fiercely nationalistic peoples of all colour and creed.

Is there a difference between ethnocentric/racist (ethnicity and race are pretty much the same thing; a composite of genetic, cultural and linguistic heritage) and bioregionalism? Personally I feel a tie to the land I live in, but there is nothing stopping someone of Jewish or African heritage joining in. That'd be cool. Likewise, if I visited the San people of South Africa and watched their ceremonies and was invited to join in with what the people were doing, I'd feel honoured to do so.
                I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
                Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
                But that day you know I left my money
                And I thought of you only
                All that copper glowing fine

Comment

This whole thread reminds me of Trump and his kick out the immigrants/ban all Muslims BS.... just sayin.

Comment

Originally posted by Briton View Post
                    How often did he go to Mass?

Hitler also stated that he found Christianity to be "flabby" and pathetic, and actually admired Islam. Reality is, he, like every other tyrant, would exploit traits in any "divine" movement to rally people under his. No different to the modern Sauds who, despite encouraging and fostering an extreme strain of Islam in their country and others, their princes visit sex workers and parties around the world. Oppressive people love things that cause people to want to be oppressed. Certain communistic ideas, certain religions, certain anything that justifies them to the people.

If Hitler was Catholic, I'm the Pope.
                    Well, Your Holiness, he was indeed baptized and raised Catholic, but was excommunicated in 1937. So, yes, he was a Catholic at one point. Who the hell would know how many times he went to mass anyway, even if he hadn't been, so it's a pointless question. And no, I'm not saying his views were true, solid, or had any effect on his assholeness.

Is there a difference between ethnocentric/racist (ethnicity and race are pretty much the same thing; a composite of genetic, cultural and linguistic heritage) and bioregionalism? Personally I feel a tie to the land I live in, but there is nothing stopping someone of Jewish or African heritage joining in. That'd be cool. Likewise, if I visited the San people of South Africa and watched their ceremonies and was invited to join in with what the people were doing, I'd feel honoured to do so.
                    Context, maybe? Let's compare Astaru to, say, a religion belonging to a small ethnic group that has never left their continent. Astaru is all over the world now, and it's not like all vikings or even all people in the proper regions were white anyway.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
                      Context, maybe? Let's compare Astaru to, say, a religion belonging to a small ethnic group that has never left their continent. Astaru is all over the world now, and it's not like all vikings or even all people in the proper regions were white anyway.
                      I don't think anything matters. All that matters is a sense of belonging. Hitler missed this. He said outsiders didn't belong. We have an opportunity to be better than that, and accept everyonde.

Comment

Originally posted by pillar View Post
                        We have an opportunity to be better than that, and accept everyonde.
                        Of course we do.

But that doesn't mean that others won't and don't.

So the better question is what is to be done about those that don't?
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

I am a Sean supremacist, meaning that anyone who isn't me is inferior to me.

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                          Of course we do.

But that doesn't mean that others won't and don't.

So the better question is what is to be done about those that don't?
                          Jokes aside what else can we do than tolerate them as long as they don't break the law?

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Originally posted by SeanRave View Post
                            Jokes aside what else can we do than tolerate them as long as they don't break the law?

Speak up, speak out, and repeat.

Over and over and over and over and over and over. Tolerating someone's right to have an opinion that is abhorrent, ignorant, ignoble, irresponsible, etc is not the same as being tolerating the idea itself. And the way to combat ideas is with other ideas. Its tiring. Sometimes it seems like there is no progress. Sometimes there is no progress. Sometimes there is backwards. Sometimes you want to give up on people, on the world, on giving a flying frog. Lasting change is incremental.

Freedom of expression (whether its backed up by the courts or not) means being offended. But it also means you can spread some offense (to them) yourself. Bigotry comes from hate, and hate is an illusion of power used to cover up fear and insecurity. Hatred is a tool that the weak try to use, and get used by in the end.

But doing so requires constant vigilance. Speak up, speak out, repeat. Ad nauseam.

As Aldous Huxley said in A Brave New World, "Eternal vigilance is not only the price of liberty; eternal vigilance is the price of human decency." (a modificiation of the misattributed-to-Thomas-Jefferson "eternal vigilance is the price of liberty", which really was said by Wendell Philips, and was a fairly well known and often rephrased quote originating from author Thomas Carlton, "the price of liberty is eternal vigilance", and more adroitly summed up by J. K. Rowling's Mad-Eye Moody as "constant vigilance," which I swear, I am getting as a tattoo one day)
                            Last edited by Rae'ya; 06 Mar 2016, 00:39.
                            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pillar View Post
                              I don't think anything matters. All that matters is a sense of belonging. Hitler missed this. He said outsiders didn't belong. We have an opportunity to be better than that, and accept everyonde.
                              Yes, but we're discussing exclusionary groups of pagans, who are also saying outsiders don't belong. So, said groups are not better and do not accept everyone.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Working...
                              X