Cross Stitching Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cross Stitching Anyone?

We have a quilting thread, so how about cross stitching?

I've been doing it for years and it is very much my chillax hobby. I do it to calm my arthiritis and to chill after a day of art at the studio or annoying tourists at work. I've done many projects over the years.

I finished this today:
    Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

It's called a biscornu, and I designed it myself. I'm going to make 12 of them (one a month) and then give them as Christmas presents.

I am also working on this birth sampler for my friend Nicola:

Cross stitching is fun, easy and relaxing. You should try it x
    "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Re: Cross Stitching Anyone?

That is too cute! I would love to be able to cross stitch. I never really gave it a fair shot!

Comment

[quote author=Amber link=topic=1343.msg27062#msg27062 date=1294343651]
      That is too cute! I would love to be able to cross stitch. I never really gave it a fair shot!
      [/quote]

I hate the counting part...so I generally go with embroidery...
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=1343.msg27078#msg27078 date=1294345788]
        I hate the counting part...so I generally go with embroidery...
        [/quote]

Thats what my grandmother does.

Comment

[quote author=Amber link=topic=1343.msg27080#msg27080 date=1294346148]
          Thats what my grandmother does.
          [/quote]

I find that once you find a pattern you really like it you can just go for it. The counting is ok if you have the patience. X
          "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

Comment

This is the one I am working on right now.

I think the fabric that I am working with has too small of squares.. (I don't know how else to describe it) I can't see what/where I am stitching and it is getting really frustrating. I am debating starting over with a better count fabric...
            sigpic

Comment

[quote author=LiadanWillows link=topic=1343.msg27141#msg27141 date=1294366361]
              This is the one I am working on right now.

I think the fabric that I am working with has too small of squares.. (I don't know how else to describe it) I can't see what/where I am stitching and it is getting really frustrating. I am debating starting over with a better count fabric...
              [/quote]

Are you on Aida or evensweave? x

Comment

I don't know what those terms mean :-[
                sigpic

Comment

Aida is the same fabric as my tigger and piglet is done on, evensweave has more holes per inch. X

Comment

Oh, I am not sure but I would assume it would be evensweave but I am looking for a fabric more like the one you are using
                    sigpic

Comment

OOOH!

Craftster has some awesome ideas for needlework projects...

...and I thought this might be a useful tutorial for when they are done
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

Great links Thal! X

Comment

I used to cross stitch all the time, especially in free periods at 6th form (10 years ago), but haven't picked it up in ages. This year I definitely hope to pick it back up again after reading this thread.
                          http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

this is more of an embroidery thing...but its pretty cool...

(more to come, but I found an utterly hilarious craft fail to post elsewhere right quick)

ETA:

(am back...)

how to stitch braids
                            stitchschool

ETA2:

"Chickenscratch", aka "Amish cross stitch", aka "depression lace"...there are other names too...but its basically embroidery using gingham for counting like cross-stitch to make patterns that (from afar) do look sort of like lace.

(I know I posted something about this, but I think it was pre-crash)

My grandma's been doing this technique for years...this isn't her work, but its an example of what it looks like:

PDF Directions
                            other directions
                            links to books, patterns, etc
                            sigpic

Comment

That is so pretty Thal, I will have to have a go!

I was working away at this for 4 hours last night:

It takes forever to do big blocks of the same colour. It is well depressing. X

Comment

Working...
                              X