Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally a way to provide hope for Action on climate change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Finally a way to provide hope for Action on climate change?

Yeah, but since we can't change the past, we have to take action ourselves to change the future. Both the state and individuals have roles to play.

BTW, where I grew up, we weren't so wasteful either when I was a kid. I come from a well-off family, but we still handed down our toys and clothes (I was luckily the eldest, though I still got second hand things when we got them). We walked everywhere around the neighbourhood, reused things, and there wasn't much packaging back then. I still think we have a responsibility to change how things are now, though, because they're insane. Sometimes the stuff I see just blows my mind away. Like, dishwasher tabs in individual wrapping...jeez. And the life cycle of clothes. Like, how do more people not think about the amount of clothes they buy and then toss? We've become so stupidly wasteful in such a short period of time. It wasn't ideal before and this was coming on long before my time, but I don't think we have a hope unless we address the way we're currently doing things.

Comment

The term "disposable lifestyle" became a term even back in the 60's Used to be if something broke,you got it fixed...these days it cost more to fix it than to buy a new one..

- - - Updated - - -

My MIL had a toaster she got back in the late 30's,and in 1986 ,it stopped working...she bought a NEW one that died after about a year...so go figure
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Comment

I have to say - I live on a carers pension just as a BTW - about 80% of the stuff in my kitchen is stuff my family didn't want any more - I wear my clothes till they are literally unwearable ( I had to throw one of my favorite t-shirts out recently because after a wash it had a 2 inch diameter hole in it - that's not practically repairable for me.) I use energy efficient light bulbs, had tile floors put in when the carpet wore out, have 2 hand me down computer screens, the only tv I own is a hand me down 3- out of my 5 book cases are hand me down half or more of my hardcopy books are second hand. Half my books are e-book (smaller footprint) and am thinking of publishing as E-book only for footprint reasons ( although ink/paper smell reasons might convince me to release as POD). I try to do my part The only real extravagance I let myself have is a new computer every 18 months and even then I hand the old one down to a friend or thier kid that needs it I do have a car but I really do need it for work and in case I have to take my partner to hospital, so I don't qualify that as an 'extravagance'

Also it specifies that they aren't suing for money in the article, they are suing for action on the problem

Comment

I realize they're suing for action. I just don't think it will solve the problem.

Obviously, a lot of people here on this board are doing their part for the environment. Pagans generally lean towards the greener end of the spectrum. By "we," I meant the general public. If individuals do not make changes, it's not going to work, no matter how much legislation governments bring in.

Comment

Look at the thing in Flint,lots of talk,but very little doing to fix the problem. They knew there was a problem for well over a year before,and mainly tried to hide the issue.
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

See, Flint is definitely something that is lawsuit material. And I'm not saying that governments shouldn't take any responsibility for fixing environmental damage and making sure things don't get worse. I'm just saying that this is really important and it has to be a two way street.

Comment

Working...
                X