Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Religion in fiction writing

Just wondering peoples opinions of religion in Fiction/fantasy/scifi

Personally, I think a person has a right to do whatever they want in their own writings.

But i've also heard that even slightly negative portrails of Judeo-christian can get anything from blacklisted by groups to death threats. Just wondering opinions here.

Re: Religion in fiction writing

Religion is part of human experience. As such, it will show up in fiction and it will get a variety of responses. Some of its uses in fiction will be idiotic and so will some of the responses. Also, Abrahamic religions aren't the only ones to be moronic regarding fiction and religion. People were quite happy to be idiots regarding the casting for Heimdall in the Thor series too and he was the most unequivocally positively portrayed Asgardian in the MCU.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Are we talking about non-fictional religions or fictional religions in fictional writing?

Comment

I'm surprised nobody didn't answer my question. Well I think many people will be so offended when putting real life religion on a fictional writing. Because writers sometimes tweaks real life religions just to might the stories. But went it comes to fictional religion people don't complain about. To me, I really don't think there's anything wrong with real life religion and fictional religion in fictional writing.

Comment

Originally posted by Marradin View Post

Personally, I think a person has a right to do whatever they want in their own writings.

But i've also heard that even slightly negative portrails of Judeo-christian can get anything from blacklisted by groups to death threats. Just wondering opinions here.
          Sadly, there are so many things that will get you in trouble by extremist groups.

I have no problem with it, usually. I like it best if it is used as part of worldbuilding, to enrich the story and illustrate something pertinent to the plot and/or characters. And of course, using fiction as a way to examine aspects of society is a time honored tradition. If it gets a book banned, they probably did a great job with it.
          ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

Religion in any writing is bound to be controversial on some level. Christians certainly don't have control over what is read and written in America. While they may send threats and voice their outrage there is generally no religious censorship and when it does happens it is usually legally beaten. And it certainly is not as bad as in the Muslim countries and the attacks in Europe regarding depictions of Muhammad.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
              Religion in any writing is bound to be controversial on some level. Christians certainly don't have control over what is read and written in America. While they may send threats and voice their outrage there is generally no religious censorship and when it does happens it is usually legally beaten. And it certainly is not as bad as in the Muslim countries and the attacks in Europe regarding depictions of Muhammad.
              Some people will get upset for everything. I feel like that I want to write a story on religion. Actually fictional religion of course. I just need a plan.

Comment

Lol. Like religion is factual.
                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Marradin View Post

Writing is ink on paper, nobody should be criminally charged for the fiction they write. My criticism is only towards fictional writers that try to use real places or historical events or religions etc and then get it all wrong. It shows they didn't do their homework and they're just writing stupid crap.

To clarify, there's a difference between writing a fictional story about how Jews are evil in that story, and it's another issue to write a story where the Jews don't wear red with white dots cause it's against their religion. It's simply not true, and shows the writer has no basic understanding of what they are writing about.
                  [4:82]

Comment

I Mostly ask because I'm writing a book based loosely on the modern world ( Think Doctor Who ... Wibbly wobbly timey wimy ...) but with historical differences. So while modern events and personalities may be represented in a fictional form (Prime minister Friar in Australia maybe ) some of the religious orders of the catholic church have been added (but based on Real saints and structured like current orders) I am taking some license but trying to portray things in a particular way for the story I want to tell.

Comment

Sometimes it is OK to upset people, if you know what you are doing.

There are a lot of sleeping dogs. Wake the ones that should be on guard duty.
                      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

It's ok to write about religion in a fiction book. As long as we all know it's fiction. Which is why I get upset when someone claims a religious book (pick any) is non fiction.
                        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Working...
                        X