Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Think I'm an Alcoholic and Need Help

I just realized that I am an alcoholic.*

I'm ruining my life. I blackout often and then say and do horrible things that I don't mean and would never do otherwise. Poor Patrick, I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves me because I'm not at all myself.*

I think I've been an alcoholic for years. I think I've been using it as a way to avoid every problem I've ever had. My psyche is unraveling.*

I'm getting the number of a sponsor but I feel like I need more help. I can't afford rehab and I am a militant atheist so AA isn't my thing but I am crying out for help.*

Help me. Please.
    No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Re: I Think I'm an Alcoholic and Need Help

First of all, I think it's really brave of you to confront it. That's such a huge first step, and it's a really important one. I think you know that you need to get help, and the second step is to find some support in your area.

AA does have groups for atheists and agnostics. Are there any like that near you? Maybe some of the American members know more about the kinds of alternative support?

At any rate, stay strong and hang in there. If you need to vent, you know we're here. There are so many people who care about you here.

Comment

Bjorn, you are already stronger than you know by simply admitting this and asking for help. *hug*

I googled this: http://www.weagnosticsaa.com/meeting...-freethinkers/ and maybe that can lead you to the right direction.
      ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

Step One: Realize there's a problem

Step Two: Try to fix it.

Here are some things that might help you:

SAMHSA’s National Helpline is a free, confidential, 24/7, 365-day-a-year treatment referral and information service (in English and Spanish) for individuals and families facing mental health and/or substance use disorders.

AA for Agnostics. You can find meetings in lots of states.

Secular Organizations for Sobriety. SOS is a nonprofit network of autonomous, nonprofessional local groups dedicated solely to helping individuals achieve and maintain sobriety. There are groups meeting in many cities throughout the US and other countries.

I would contact professionals and see what the best plan for you is. And M, if you need anything else or having a problem with something specific or need something cleared up, let me know. OK?
        [4:82]

Comment

BJ,I drank like a fish for years in my younger years,and I know where you are at right now...yeh you can stop,I did...did not do 12 step,I just stopped.
          You may need a system,if that is where you are at.
          First be easy on yourself,its just a habit it is not really you.
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
            I just realized that I am an alcoholic.*

I'm ruining my life. I blackout often and then say and do horrible things that I don't mean and would never do otherwise. Poor Patrick, I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves me because I'm not at all myself.*

I think I've been an alcoholic for years. I think I've been using it as a way to avoid every problem I've ever had. My psyche is unraveling.*

I'm getting the number of a sponsor but I feel like I need more help. I can't afford rehab and I am a militant atheist so AA isn't my thing but I am crying out for help.*

Help me. Please.
            You can do AA without having to have the 'higher power' be god. YOU are technically your higher power (as a LaVeyan that is).
            Start with a sponsor. Then you can figure out what to do. Get your ass into some meetings. Just go. A lot of people there are just going to take that first step. Don't use your atheism as an excuse when it's really fear you are using as an excuse. YOU are strong. YOU can do this. I'm being tough because well, you know that's my love language. Everything isn't going to come at once. Just start the step.
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Thank you to everyone. I knew I came to the right place with this, and I have Patrick's support too.

I actually found an agnostic AA group that meets at a local church (irony) every Tuesday and Friday, so I'm going to start there.

Comment

Thank you to everyone. I knew I came to the right place with this, and I have Patrick's support too.

I actually found an agnostic AA group that meets at a local church (irony) every Tuesday and Friday, so I'm going to start there.
                I'm really proud of you. Remember we are here for you
                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

You're so brave for even being able to admit this to other people. Please keep us updated and remember that we care about you, and we're here for you.
                  Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

*hugs*

I think everyone else got the where to go covered...so just *hugs*.

Its a cliche, but its true--knowing there is a problem is the first step.
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

I've been put in touch with 2 different women in my area who all are connected with AA. I'm meeting one of them today for tea (TEA, WHAT THE FUCK IS TEA? LOL) and then I'm going to attend a meeting that she recommended to me today.

So far, not only have I been sober for the past 2 days, but I have been sober with alcohol in the house and with my boyfriend drinking it in front of me. I'm not mad at him at ALL, temptation is going to be everywhere so I might as well learn how to say no in the most basic of settings: home. Since I do not have a physical dependence on alcohol (no shakes, no tremors, no noticeable physical changes aside from mood) I know that right now it's just a mental game. My goal for the time being is to make it 1 week without a single drop of alcohol. After that, 2 weeks, etc.

I know deep down that I've been running from trauma in my past and have been for 10 years now. I'm not afraid of the alcohol, it was just a symptom of a much more deeply rooted problem, I'm afraid of all the emotional turmoil that has been drowning in hooch and drugs for the past decade.

I need a friggin therapist.

Comment

Booze is a funny thing..I drank because I liked being drunk...and then one day I found I did not like being drunk anymore. No addiction,no DT's or shakes or stuff. And now I find I dislike the taste..and the buzz. Never did meetings or AA...just one day stopped it,and not ever tempted to go back.(I was very lucky I think)

Started drinking at 13 when I also started smoking.
                        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Good for you, Bjorn.

I hope you also find support for your trauma. Are there any support groups or free counsellors/therapists in your area?

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                            Good for you, Bjorn.

I hope you also find support for your trauma. Are there any support groups or free counsellors/therapists in your area?
                            I'm trying to look into that, they're supposed to get back to me on Monday but there's always a fee and I don't have insurance so I think AA will have to suffice for now. That's OK, though. It might be too much at once and there's gotta be some books I can get from the library.

Comment

I've been put in touch with 2 different women in my area who all are connected with AA. I'm meeting one of them today for tea (TEA, WHAT THE FUCK IS TEA? LOL) and then I'm going to attend a meeting that she recommended to me today.

So far, not only have I been sober for the past 2 days, but I have been sober with alcohol in the house and with my boyfriend drinking it in front of me. I'm not mad at him at ALL, temptation is going to be everywhere so I might as well learn how to say no in the most basic of settings: home. Since I do not have a physical dependence on alcohol (no shakes, no tremors, no noticeable physical changes aside from mood) I know that right now it's just a mental game. My goal for the time being is to make it 1 week without a single drop of alcohol. After that, 2 weeks, etc.

I know deep down that I've been running from trauma in my past and have been for 10 years now. I'm not afraid of the alcohol, it was just a symptom of a much more deeply rooted problem, I'm afraid of all the emotional turmoil that has been drowning in hooch and drugs for the past decade.

I need a friggin therapist.
                              Do you smoke at all?
                              "Turn, and look in the mirror. What do you see?" Her own brown eyes stared back at her until she was nothing but a blur.

"I see you. Red lipstick spread perfectly over your lush mouth, brown eyes that hold centuries upon centuries of secrets. A face made to entice even the most celibate of men and women alike. A red dress that sways and moves with your body, making you a temptation like no other."

Comment

Working...
                              X