Addiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Addiction

I can think of a situation where people are addicted to working out and it might be perceived of as being positive. it's of benefit to their health and mental well being and their schedule is the addiction in having to do it. But I think that would be the exception more than the norm to describing something as an addiction.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
      I can think of a situation where people are addicted to working out and it might be perceived of as being positive. it's of benefit to their health and mental well being and their schedule is the addiction in having to do it. But I think that would be the exception more than the norm to describing something as an addiction.
      I've had a friend who was addicted to working out. Nothing positive about that, she couldn't stop even when she got injured.
      The article I posted before made the point that positive addiction is an oxymoron... it makes no real sense to attach the word addiction - a word that is inherently negative - to a behaviour that is supposedly purely positive.
      You remind me of the babe
      What babe?
      The babe with the power
      What power?
      The Power of voodoo
      Who do?
      You do!
      Do what?
      Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Let's go to the experts on addiction and ask them:
        Philip Seymour Hoffman
        Cory Monteith
        Whitney Houston
        Amy Winehouse
        Michael Jackson
        Billy Mays
        Heath Ledger
        Anna Nicole Smith
        Ike Turner

Go on Bart. Ask them.
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

enny meany,chili beany...the spirits are about to speak......
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Like I said before Addiction isn't all that negative.

Comment

Yes... that is exactly what addiction is. Negative.
              You remind me of the babe
              What babe?
              The babe with the power
              What power?
              The Power of voodoo
              Who do?
              You do!
              Do what?
              Remind me of the babe!

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
                Did you even google the people on my list? Let me help you. THEY ARE ALL DEAD DUE TO THEIR ADDICTION. Get a clue.
                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

That's my proof of positive addiction.
                  That's not proof. It's a single possible concept, with a single-line definition.

This is supposed to be a discussion. You have provided a single link with a definition that has no citations as your proof. Follow forum rules and prove what you say is fact with actual research. It's extremely frustrating that you continue to do this: you post something and say you think this. When asked for any sort of proof, you keep repeating yourself for pages, and then either link to something that doesn't actually support your claim, or has no real research behind it. That is not how logic works.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by iris View Post
                    I've had a friend who was addicted to working out. Nothing positive about that, she couldn't stop even when she got injured.
                    The article I posted before made the point that positive addiction is an oxymoron... it makes no real sense to attach the word addiction - a word that is inherently negative - to a behaviour that is supposedly purely positive.
                    That's why I said it might be perceived of as a positive addiction. I know more than a few who work out and the schedule and working out is an addiction to them in that it also motivates them. Yet at times it's also the addiction is adhering to the schedule even though the physical fitness aspect is not really the addicted aspect.
                    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I think I better research a bit more on addiction. I thought at first that addiction was a positive thing.

Comment

I think I better research a bit more on addiction. I thought at first that addiction was a positive thing.
                        You've been told for several days now that it's not, with research and definitions that it's not. What made you just now change your mind?

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Ok now I get the idea what addiction really is: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/info/addiction/ Sorry for the faulty logic and argument for beliving addictions is a good thing everybody.

- - - Updated - - -

Really? It's been that long? I was being young and small-minded about it.

Comment

Well, that Glasser actually wrote about "positive addiction" puts you in good company. Glasser is a huge name in education, and he caused a sea-change in the way educators (ideally) relate to students.

But I agree more with the critique of the term that Iris posted. Positive addiction looks like a misuse of the term "addiction," to me.
                            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                            X