Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fruit juice isn't much better for you than soda.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fruit juice isn't much better for you than soda.

You had to know this was coming...
    Story.

One of the biggest public health wins of recent decades has been America's slow shift away from soda.

With more awareness about the very strong correlation between guzzling fizzy drinks and obesity and tooth decay, sales of beverages like Coca-Cola and Pepsi have slumped.

But there's pretty good evidence that Americans are still getting hoodwinked by juices and other sugary beverages.

My Fanta Orange for the win...I still like V-fusion though.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Re: Fruit juice isn't much better for you than soda.

The problem with fruit juice is that it is often sweetened, has way too much of a fruit-to-water ratio, and let's be real, when you lose the fruit part (the pulp) you lose the fiber.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

You,I trust on the matter Thal..cause I know you know stuff,that and you would never sugar coat(pun) anything..

- - - Updated - - -

Also,you read way more than any chatty Cathy I have ever known...Damn spring is here,along with those darn stink bugs,If the temp goes past a certain point,bam,there they are...

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I get this at work. Why don't drink this juice. It's better for you! And I'm like what don't you under....stand? Sugar, even natural is bad for Diabetics.

That's why we are allowed to drink all the coffee and no sweetened iced tea. I have juice just as an emergency. Not even that half the sugar stuff. It's still just full of sugar. I'd rather just eat the piece of fruit with the sugar than drink it I guess.
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Health claims aside, I've just never seen the point of juice. Shop bought is just flavour without any of the appetite suppression of eating the whole fruit that at least spends a little longer in my stomach. As for blending my own fruit drinks... I have a bullet that can juice but it's way too much effort for way too little reward. I'd much rather just eat the fruit and let my stomach do the hard part.

Also... who's adding sugar to fruit juice? I was curious so checked the fruit juices in the fridge here at work (all tesco, from concentrate and with details on the side about how only water is added, and nothing removed). Is this a US thing?

I'm sure I've said this before when juicing has come up, but if my drink is high in calories and sugar, it had better have alcohol in it! I'm not kidding. I usually only drink water, tea or coffee.
          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Sometimes I don't want to drink water. I slice up the fruit and do an infused water instead.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
              Also... who's adding sugar to fruit juice? I was curious so checked the fruit juices in the fridge here at work (all tesco, from concentrate and with details on the side about how only water is added, and nothing removed). Is this a US thing?
              It's also an Australian thing. LOTS of juice companies add sugar, though there is a growing number of brands that don't add sweeteners of any sort. We also have a number of brands who do cold pressed, 'five organic oranges and six blueberries went into this juice' blah blah type juice, but it's expensive. Most juices that you can buy in big family bottles are from concentrate with suger and numbers added in.

Comment

In the USA it has to be called a "drink" rather than juice if it has added sugar and other ingredients. Our juice is all juice but it might have a mixture of different juices in it. Peach juice often has pear juice in it so it isn't as thick as peach nectar. Fruit from concentrate has few vitamins or nutrients of any kind because of the heat they use to remove the water. Juice from fruit has most of the nutrients in it though some is lost in the pasteurization process. Pasteurization is quickly raising the temperature to some degree, holding it there long enough to kill the harmful bacteria and then rapidly cooling it. This process can remove between 50 and 80% of the vitamins as well as killing helpful bacteria and rendering some enzymes useless. Fresh squeezed juices are healthier but also carry dangers of contamination with E. Coli, and other harmful bacteria unless the fruit is washed and rinsed well before juicing. Even pasteurized juice is better than soda or other drinks.
                The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Soda water is better than fresh juice. Fresh juice contain harmful things than nutrients. It contain more sugar and other hidden ingredients than nutrients. Soda water is better than fresh juice. It has the hydrating property like mineral water.

Comment

Not sure what you mean by "Soda water"...sparkling water?

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post

In North America (and Australia, apparently), things are generally sweeter. I never noticed it when I was growing up, but after I moved to Germany and went back to visit, it was glaringly obvious. Stuff like flavoured yogurt, juice, and even stuff that's supposed to be really sweet like cake has WAY more sugar in it than stuff on this side of the world. British and continental European people have a different understanding of "sweet," and fruit on its own is usually enough. In North America, they're so used to syrupy sweet flavours that they add sugar to a lot of things that we don't.

I'm a label reader because of my allergies, and there is sugar in a shocking amount of stuff in Canada and the US.

Comment

Interesting thing,My GM(The French Canadian one) Used to eat grapefruit with sugar on it,also same with cottage cheese. I prefer both of them with no sugar.

Also as a kid I was used to cereal with sugar,but these days I like it without.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

The only juice I use is for my smoothies and is Unsweetened Cranberry Juice. I regularly drink water. Fruit juices, I agree, typically are sweetened in the U.S. for some reason. They shouldn't be, the fruit is sweet and good enough in my opinion. If it is, it should be with natural sweeteners, not these aspartame or things like that.
                          Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

I'm a black coffee, tea, and a water drinker. Once in a blue moon a low-sodium V-8, and a diet soda about twice a year. The only time sugar really gets used here is when making the hummingbird feeder mix.
                            sigpic
                            Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I only use sugar in my coffee along with half and half..Only reason I even have it in the place.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Working...
                              X