Natural Born

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Natural Born

I keep stumbling across the phrase "natural born witch" or "natural born pagan". Now, I've been called a "fence jumper" because I started off life as a Christian, but I've never had someone claim to my face that they're naturally born into anything. What's the implication, that they were a witch since being pushed out of the womb, but other people had to work at it? Does this make any sense?
    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Re: Natural Born

No sense really, not at all. I think it's just a way of trying to install a hierarchy where the isn't one. We may be born into a family where there are witches (I was), but that doesn't make me an hereditary witch, just an hereditary human being.

Everyone must do some work on a spiritual path, no matter what it happens to be. Some just like to pretend otherwise.
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

natural born agnostic seems a more accurate term for people.
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

If we were all stuck being what we were born being, it would certainly explain much of the stupidity that takes place in the world, since we are all born ignorant.
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

The implication is that these people are full of crap...

There is no such thing as a "natural born witch" or "natural born pagan"--these are things you learn. Sure, some people might better at them than others, some of them might have picked it up more organically than others, but at the end of the day, these things are a PRACTICE. Like playing the piano or doing gymnastics.

The only things babies practice are eating, pooping, and sleeping. Being a practicing Pagan and/or witch is a conscious choice, something most individuals are incapable of doing until they reach an age of reasoning.

Calling oneself a "natural born" anything or someone else a "fence jumper" for being raised as a different religion is just Special Snowflake Syndrome at its most pathetic. My kids are being raised as Pagans, that doesn't mean they were "born that way"--the only way they were born were as nekkit, mewling, puking, pooping, drinking machines. Cute nekkit mewling pukers to be sure, but certainly not some mystical magical indigo faerie farts or anything. It means they are learning stuff that they will make a conscious decision to use or not.

All that rainbow crystal indigo children crap, along with calling non-Pagans "muggles", "cowans", whatever, its just attention-seeking from people with an inferiority complex that want to feel special.
          Last edited by thalassa; 27 Mar 2016, 09:35.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

I think I was natural born,though I still have visions of alien ships with birth tanks...Mommy,is that you?
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Anyone who calls you a name because you weren't raised with a certain belief system is a jackass and a bigot, regardless of the belief system.

Yeah, the only thing we're born as is atheist. We're not even agnostic, which by definition suggests we have thought about it and concluded we cannot know any god personally, if they even exist at all. We're all born atheists and we either find our own way, eventually, or spend our lives resting on the assumptions of others. To suggest that becoming pagan after being something else makes you less of a pagan is ridiculous, and if anyone called me a "muggle" for having converted from Christianity I would laugh in their fat stupid face, because clearly they treat their belief system like a work of fantasy.
              I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
              Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
              But that day you know I left my money
              And I thought of you only
              All that copper glowing fine

Comment

I really don't understand this topic at all. If you're saying that we born by a select religion or non-religion, it doesn't really make any sense. Can you explain this topic a bit more habballah so I can understand better?

Comment

No, I'm saying there are people who claim to be "naturally born" a pagan or a witch, which makes no sense to me. No person is born with any spirituality; our brains cannot fathom such a complex idea until we're older, especially if one means fully understand. I wanted to make sure I wasn't alone in it sounding absurd.
                  Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Oh ok. Well like I said before no one is born in a religious and non-religious group.

Comment

It is possible that one is born with an "old" spirit and that the spirit draws them to the spirituality with some strength and perhaps even comfortable knowledge, but there are usually other factors that help form our spirituality. I agree that we are born with a vacant memory and we learn everything but I also know that our spirit can guide us in choices and the path we eventually follow.
                      So, in a way, one could be born with a draw to learn a spiritual path although they cannot be born a magical person. We aren't born knowing even the etiquette or morals of Pagan practices.
                      The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                      I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

At the more benign end of the spectrum, the phrase implies that the person claiming to be a "natural born witch/pagan/magician" was simply born into a family that has a tradition of practising those things. Some of the people involved in the Witchcraft revival religions of the early 20th century claimed to be "hereditary witches"--simply meaning that they were folk-magic practitioners whose family had a tradition of folk magic, who took up the new label of "witch" for one reason or another.

But, as most people in the thread are pointing out, the concept isn't always benign. It's sometimes (if not often) used to justify a superiority complex, or as a means to deflect criticism, or sometimes just to generate publicity.

Comment

Maybe those people are just confused.

(I usually hate that phrase but it seems to fit for those who are on a superiority trip.)
                          baah.

Comment

Working...
                          X