Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Should Men be able to hit Women?

Originally posted by iris View Post
    Again, I think this whole equal return thing is off. If you are the stronger part, male or female, you often have the option of retaining them. If you're the weaker part, equal return doesn't seem very possible, getting away seems like the best option. defence doesn't HAVE to involve hitting, in fact I was always taught that the best defence was to get away. Of course that's not always possible. But if it is, and you still choose the equal return it's not really self defence anymore, it's revenge.
    The consequenses should be of a legal sort.
    Your stuck on making the idea of an equal return about physical strength when it's not. An equal return is the knowledge that legally, morally, ethically, etc they will face the same repercussions a man would face. It might come down to physical and they should be prepared for that but it doesn't mean that is the only venue. Like the comparison to auto insurance and the immediate presumption cost will be lower because women are not as aggressive or wild as drivers as men of the same age, especially when younger. Yet society in general still has the attitude that you have to go easier on women which by default means a lessor return.

Look at nearly any altercation a cop might respond to on domestic violence and see who is forced to vacate the residence. Reality wise it's almost always the man and the presumption is the man is the aggressive one. Why? Mostly due to the cultural and social notion of women being the weaker sex and an idea of protecting them I think. I think that attitude is the reason why any discussion about physical violence and action / reaction between a male and female always takes the perspective of the abused woman and argues from that point.

Defense wise I know my sisters and such were always taught the best defense is a good offense and awareness. Though psychology wise I admit it also falls into the idea that once you start running you'll never stop. Which is one of the justifications I suppose for why bullies pick on certain people and follow them, the idea they can run away from things and escape them vice standing their ground. The bully knows there is no fight just run or stand and cower which simply motivates them more to abuse their target. Doesn't matter if the bully is the school yard bully or the partner in a relationship, much of their power and presence comes from knowing the other will cower or attempt to flee.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Let me throw in some help with the idea of equal. We here believe everyone is equal no matter male or female. Cool.

Some chic in a wheelchair is totally equal in worth to some football player dude. Should the dude hit her?

Does a young woman of 25 hit an elderly man of 86? They are equal. Why not?
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

My answer to the OP is simply "No", with very rare and unusual exceptions.
        sigpic
        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
          My answer to the OP is simply "No", with very rare and unusual exceptions.
          As a female, I sorta wannna punch a few of you.

Just saying.
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I do think age is an influence here. It's like growing up in the late 50's early to mid 60's we where constantly told you do not hit girls / women. Not only not to hit them but more than likely could count on your arse being handed to you by other guys who saw you do it. Yet there was also the disclaimer there as well. If she acted like a lady then you treated her like a lady until she showed or indicated otherwise. Yet if she acted like a lumberjack and came at you swinging then you treated her like a lumberjack and chopped away. Sort of the if she wants to play like a boy then treat her like a boy. Though in truth I can't rule out regionalism as well as I descend from a southern mountain lineage and wrong talk about a girl / woman could also get you shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
              As a female, I sorta wannna punch a few of you.

Just saying.
              Don't bother with the hitting. Just let me invite a few to dinner...
              www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by EndlessCravings View Post
                I raised to hit back either way.
                I wasn't raised in any particular way regarding violence. Like, they didn't say anything to me about it. I got into fights in school out of self defence, but my parents knew I never started fights. I came from a mildly conservative middle class Christian family. Fighting was more about talk and wit, really.

Gender doesn't matter or whatever you chose to identify didn't matter when it came to my Kin.
                Gender doesn't matter to me either. I used to be quite willing to hit a guy. I wouldn't now, I avoid violence at all costs. I would avoid hitting a woman as much as a man out of principle of non-violence.

Then again my family is pretty violent as it is. It was usually "If someone hits you and you don't hit them back I'm beating your ass" or "I'm whooping you" I first heard it the time my six year old cousin threw a high heeled shoe at me and it hit me in my face right above my eye.
                Well, violence breeds violence, simply.

edit:what does strength have to do with it? I don't understand why you dish something out if you can't take it back. I'm not saying the guy has to hit her full force and knock her out, but still.
                Because people don't always think through their actions. I see absolutely no benefit in degenerating a situation by taking their actions at face value. It is far more beneficial for me to be a drop of sobriety in such a situation. Beneficial in the eyes of the law and avoiding the hospital.
                I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
                Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
                But that day you know I left my money
                And I thought of you only
                All that copper glowing fine

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                  Bolded mine. That's that cultural and social conditioning kicking in. In many ways it's suggestive, well to me anyway, of it's condoned for the woman to do it as she is not expected to suffer the returns of her actions. Figure for most males is conditioned in us that if we project outward then we can expect a return force against us. Yet the idea that woman should be allowed to do so without an equal return is in part based on that they are petite and almost childish in their actions so there for not specifically responsible nor suffer the same returns.
                  If we take the cultural gender norm/bias/expectations that are placed on the sexes such as a woman should act like a lady then a woman who hits a man is stepping out of their so called gender roles making them unlady like and placing her in the gender role of a man. With that said, it then places her on equal footing with the man therefore it would seem that it is right to hit her back. Just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by Taulmaril View Post
                    If we take the cultural gender norm/bias/expectations that are placed on the sexes such as a woman should act like a lady then a woman who hits a man is stepping out of their so called gender roles making them unlady like and placing her in the gender role of a man. With that said, it then places her on equal footing with the man therefore it would seem that it is right to hit her back. Just saying.
                    Well, if we are using that thought process, it would actually depend actually on why the woman felt compelled to hit the man.

If it was because he was attempting to take liberties with her person or character, she'd be expected to defend her virtue.
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                      Well, if we are using that thought process, it would actually depend actually on why the woman felt compelled to hit the man.

If it was because he was attempting to take liberties with her person or character, she'd be expected to defend her virtue.
                      Sad part though is I think that is already a big assumption, especially when it comes to rape. If they didn't fight then they didn't try to stop their attacker. The fact that for some fighting might cause them even more harm or more violence doesn't seem to matter.

Comment

Strangely,from reading about weird fetishes,there are Men that would actually like to be beaten on. In fact some of them would pay you to do said beating...weird world,something for everyone I guess..
                        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                          Strangely,from reading about weird fetishes,there are Men that would actually like to be beaten on. In fact some of them would pay you to do said beating...weird world,something for everyone I guess..
                          Yep. I've heard of that. Probably because they're just masochists and it's easier to pay someone and have them shut up about it than to go to an Open Club or post on a fetush site.
                          "Turn, and look in the mirror. What do you see?" Her own brown eyes stared back at her until she was nothing but a blur.

"I see you. Red lipstick spread perfectly over your lush mouth, brown eyes that hold centuries upon centuries of secrets. A face made to entice even the most celibate of men and women alike. A red dress that sways and moves with your body, making you a temptation like no other."

Comment

Here,only if not at work

List of different fetishes(Man who know about some of these)
                            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                              Here,only if not at work

List of different fetishes(Man who know about some of these)
                              I only know of 17 out of that list. Pretty interesting.
                              "Turn, and look in the mirror. What do you see?" Her own brown eyes stared back at her until she was nothing but a blur.

"I see you. Red lipstick spread perfectly over your lush mouth, brown eyes that hold centuries upon centuries of secrets. A face made to entice even the most celibate of men and women alike. A red dress that sways and moves with your body, making you a temptation like no other."

Comment

Stygiophilia
                                Arousal to the thought of hellfire and damnation
                                Thought that was called Baptist.

Comment

Working...
                                X