Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Should Men be able to hit Women?

Originally posted by SeanRave View Post
    Since dawn of time men have faced injustices as much as women. It's not about the patriarchy. People with lots of power are genderless, and they treat their "subjects" as shit no matter their gender. We get different issues because of gender, but we men get as much social issues as women.
    Yes you do. Yours just seems to be more important than our at times. I mean you can get birth control with no problems. No one is patrolling your testicles. Unlike the govt pretty much setting up senate offices in my uterus and breasts. I'm not disagreeing with you. People with lots of power are genderless suuuure. But it's not a kowinkidink most of those are of the male gender. I love men. I'm not a man hater. I know men get it bad. But I'm not completely clueless as how the real world works outside of those things we have to pretend aren't the way they are.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
      Yes you do. Yours just seems to be more important than our at times. I mean you can get birth control with no problems. No one is patrolling your testicles. Unlike the govt pretty much setting up senate offices in my uterus and breasts. I'm not disagreeing with you. People with lots of power are genderless suuuure. But it's not a kowinkidink most of those are of the male gender. I love men. I'm not a man hater. I know men get it bad. But I'm not completely clueless as how the real world works outside of those things we have to pretend aren't the way they are.
      I can agree that both our problem's come from a largely male interpretation of BOTH male and female rights, but it is not the male gender to blame. If women were at power, it would be exactly the same, women would still have as much problems than men. What I'm trying to say is that the gender of the persons of power is only relevant to the nature of the injustices, but not relevant to their existence.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Let's put this another way for all you men out there. If a man hits your mother, is that okay? Or how about your daughter's boyfriend hitting her?

Being a woman is not easy. Not even nowadays. The old 'Well, what about a woman hitting a man,' scenario conveniently ignores that most violence against women is committed by men. Not by all men, of course. Just men they trusted.

And when woman are abused, there is the question of blame. In my part of the world a woman and her two children were murdered by her husband, and the police described it as a domestic incident. No, it wasn't. It was a triple murder. Rape victims are routinely blamed for their clothes, for being drunk, for 'leading a man on.'

It is time that some men took a long hard look at themselves. Because violence doesn't usually 'just happen..'' There is a long build up of controlling behaviour. That's where the trouble starts.
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
          most violence against women is committed by men. Not by all men, of course. Just men they trusted.
          Well, in my part of the world: Women are just as physically abusive as men.
          They are just as likely to be the initiators of violence.
          Their motivations for violence are the same as men.
          Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

I can agree with that. Pacific northwest gals are like beefy chics with plaid flannel shirts, right?
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
              Pacific northwest gals are like beefy chics with plaid flannel shirts, right?
              In the country sure, in the cities they're waifish twenty-somethings with facial piercings and outlandish hair colors.
              Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Haven't read through all of the answers so I might be repeating someone. No, men shouldn't be allowed to hit women legally - if we want to level out the playing field, the consequenses of women hitting men should be harder. It's not actually legal to hit anyone, let's keep it that way...

That whole 'if you can give, you can take' mentality is screwed up. It's easily abused too. I have been with someone who felt that way, but didn't really differentiate between agression and poking or accidentally walking in to him... but I somehow always 'asked for it'. So no. Too easily abused by people who want to. It should never be ok.
                You remind me of the babe
                What babe?
                The babe with the power
                What power?
                The Power of voodoo
                Who do?
                You do!
                Do what?
                Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Originally posted by iris View Post
                  Haven't read through all of the answers so I might be repeating someone. No, men shouldn't be allowed to hit women legally - if we want to level out the playing field, the consequenses of women hitting men should be harder. It's not actually legal to hit anyone, let's keep it that way...

That whole 'if you can give, you can take' mentality is screwed up. It's easily abused too. I have been with someone who felt that way, but didn't really differentiate between agression and poking or accidentally walking in to him... but I somehow always 'asked for it'. So no. Too easily abused by people who want to. It should never be ok.
                  Okay, so if a woman hits a man it's not okay for him to pop her back? Not beat the hell out of her, but hit her back.
                  "Turn, and look in the mirror. What do you see?" Her own brown eyes stared back at her until she was nothing but a blur.

"I see you. Red lipstick spread perfectly over your lush mouth, brown eyes that hold centuries upon centuries of secrets. A face made to entice even the most celibate of men and women alike. A red dress that sways and moves with your body, making you a temptation like no other."

Comment

I can't be arsed to read the whole thread so I'm just going to respond to the OP.

I'm in the boat of "no one should be hitting anyone, " and I find women hitting men just as repulsive and demeaning as men hitting women. The only exception I can accept is if one is defending his or her life from the other. Men deserve just as much protection from abuse as women do. It's not "equal rights" if it's not actually equal.
                    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                    Sneak Attack
                    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by EndlessCravings View Post
                      Okay, so if a woman hits a man it's not okay for him to pop her back? Not beat the hell out of her, but hit her back.
                      I'm all for self defence. But if you read what I wrote, no,noone should legally be allowed to hit anyone. I don't actually care about the gender. It's just as legal for a man to defend himself as it is for a woman (here anyway. I'm not american), and I'll just repeat what I said earlier, we shouldn't legalize violence from ANY part to even it out, rather make sure women are punished same as men for it.
                      You remind me of the babe
                      What babe?
                      The babe with the power
                      What power?
                      The Power of voodoo
                      Who do?
                      You do!
                      Do what?
                      Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Originally posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
                        I think people, in general, shouldn't hit each other.

There are valid men's issues like underreported abuse, legal issues vs. women, and your regular general stereotypes. While these are all valid and deserve their fair coverage I feel like the issues are tainted by MRA's and bros who use them to try to invalidate important women's issues. Also, when I hear men talking about how they should be able to hit a woman when if he hits him it always comes off to me as a dude just looking for an excuse to hit a woman.

On the issue of defense, I mean, yeah if it comes down to it defend yourself. But, if a woman hits you it doesn't give you the right to beat the shit out of a woman which is what sounds like what a lot of men who debate for their right to hit women back want to do.
                        This. Couldn't have said it better.

Comment

Agree PM,and it should be noted that it does happen where Men are abused..Most men would not admit it,spousal abuse can happen to men as well.
                          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by iris View Post
                            I'm all for self defence. But if you read what I wrote, no,noone should legally be allowed to hit anyone. I don't actually care about the gender. It's just as legal for a man to defend himself as it is for a woman (here anyway. I'm not american), and I'll just repeat what I said earlier, we shouldn't legalize violence from ANY part to even it out, rather make sure women are punished same as men for it.
                            I read it just only responded to a part of it, it seems.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                            Agree PM,and it should be noted that it does happen where Men are abused..Most men would not admit it,spousal abuse can happen to men as well.
                            You're right. But men are shamed for it and it isn't taken seriously enough.
                            "Turn, and look in the mirror. What do you see?" Her own brown eyes stared back at her until she was nothing but a blur.

"I see you. Red lipstick spread perfectly over your lush mouth, brown eyes that hold centuries upon centuries of secrets. A face made to entice even the most celibate of men and women alike. A red dress that sways and moves with your body, making you a temptation like no other."

Comment

If you, a man, are stronger or as strong as the woman, why would you hit? This isn't a boxing match, nor a movie. Just restrain them.

If you're weaker than the woman, well, if you're weaker than a man, would you pick a fight with them? If they initiated it, then you have two options: get out or hit back. Let's face it, get out is the sensible or wise choice. But how many actually would do that? Whilst hitting back isn't the better choice, I wouldn't judge.

Personally, I can't imagine doing anything other than restraining. I actually had an abusive ex, who either hit me or threw stuff at me. I held her back every time, I never hit her. One day, however, I got sick of it all and raised my hand to her. That wasn't me and I knew it was time to get out.

Hitting back is really a last resort. Somehow recommending hitting just seems very... bestial and vengeful. Don't get me wrong, I like seeing people get their comeuppance, but if your loved one is hitting you (women don't have a tendency of getting drunk in bars and starting fights, that's more of a guy thing) one has to think why. Either you wronged them, or they're being unreasonable, or they don't know how to control their anger. If you spend a moment to think about the ethics of "hitting back", you've already reasoned. If you can reason, you should know that they're probably going to regret it later. It's not about being better than them, it's about not punishing someone for their mistake or, in the case of people who have been abused, for someone else's wrongdoing.

Unless you have no other option (which still, obviously, isn't a good thing) don't hit, restrain or get away. You don't improve a situation by lowering yourself into it.
                              I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
                              Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
                              But that day you know I left my money
                              And I thought of you only
                              All that copper glowing fine

Comment

So again I will be agreeing with PM on this one. He said it perfectly. I would also agree again with I'm not really for the violence act but I have 5 brothers, all 5 of them are excellent men. I can also say that if they were hit by a women in violence they wouldn't have to hit her back because I would do it! All of my brothers are over 6 feet tall and are solid muscles. They work in concert, plumbing, pipe lines and 1 is a police officer, so they are all solid muscle. They couldn't hit a women without causing serious pain, not that they would try to. And because of this they wouldn't hit her back. This is where I'm the big sister comes in play.

The idea that if you're big enough to step up to someone and hit them then you're big enough to be hit back doesn't work for me. Again 5 brothers over 6 feet and I'm 5'3. I have been plenty angry to hit them when we were younger and I did and never once did they hit me back no matter how mad they were at me because they're fist/hand packs way way more power than mine ever did. Most men are stronger the women, let's be honest here, and can restrain a woman instead of hitting her.
                                Last edited by kalynraye; 28 Mar 2016, 11:47.
                                "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Working...
                                X