Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shooting at U.S. Capitol Complex in D.C.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shooting at U.S. Capitol Complex in D.C.

Do wolves food cache?

I know a number of carnivores do...

Killer whales kill for "fun". So do cats.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
      Do wolves food cache?

I know a number of carnivores do...

Killer whales kill for "fun". So do cats.
      So do dolphins. Male lions will kill their own cubs if they feel like a female isn't paying enough attention to them or if they want sex and the cubs are in the way.
      Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
        I wish we could somehow move past violence. I don't know how, either, though.
        I'm going to take a moment to proselytize. I know that, strictly speaking "proselytizing" is against forum rules, but sometimes rules need to be broken...

The only answer is what I call "the Buddhist solution."

First, recognize that it is possible to change the self, then act and think in a way that will do that, while simultaneously recognizing the reality that you can not force change on others - attempts to do so generally create increased conflict, exaserbating the problem.

Understanding, as you do this, that, becoming a model yourself, you actually become a pretty impressive teacher, producing results that are hard to argue against, because they are so very concrete.

What we need is a revolution in conciousness, but what people tend to produce are physical revolutions. Force creates it's own oposition leading to a continous cycle of violence intended to end the very violence it is complicit in creating.
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
          I'm going to take a moment to proselytize. I know that, strictly speaking "proselytizing" is against forum rules, but sometimes rules need to be broken...

First, recognize that it is possible to change the self, then act and think in a way that will do that, while simultaneously recognizing the reality that you can not force change on others - attempts to do so generally create increased conflict, exaserbating the problem.

Understanding, as you do this, that, becoming a model yourself, you actually become a pretty impressive teacher, producing results that are hard to argue against, because they are so very concrete.

What we need is a revolution in conciousness, but what people tend to produce are physical revolutions. Force creates it's own oposition leading to a continous cycle of violence intended to end the very violence it is complicit in creating.
          How are you going to explain this to people who think you are different because of your skin, religion, sexual, political and gender? How do you explain this consciousness to plain ol bigoted dumb ass people?
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
            How are you going to explain this to people who think you are different because of your skin, religion, sexual, political and gender? How do you explain this consciousness to plain ol bigoted dumb ass people?
            You can't, which is why I don't have "real" solution, just a personal solution.

But, to change a society one way or another, you don't have to change everybody, or even a majority. If I remember correctly, a sea change occures when about 10% of a population changes (see: http://news.rpi.edu/luwakkey/2902).

To get equal marriage rights for gay folks, for example, not everybody had to agree. Just enough people had to agree to get to a tipping point, and it "suddenly" became a majority opinion.
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

You can't, which is why I don't have "real" solution, just a personal solution.

But, to change a society one way or another, you don't have to change everybody, or even a majority. If I remember correctly, a sea change occures when about 10% of a population changes (see: http://news.rpi.edu/luwakkey/2902).

To get equal marriage rights for gay folks, for example, not everybody had to agree. Just enough people had to agree to get to a tipping point, and it "suddenly" became a majority opinion.
              That's true. But pessimistic me sees that going bad. Yeah well that Jew is to blame for the lack of bread. Oh ok. Let's do this.

Something like that. Sorry I'm raining on your peace parade.

Comment

That's true. But pessimistic me sees that going bad. Yeah well that Jew is to blame for the lack of bread. Oh ok. Let's do this.

Something like that. Sorry I'm raining on your peace parade.
                'S OK. If you really want to rain on my peace parade, try this: in the meantime, people are being tortured and murdered. When I think about, say, ISIL, I can agree with Tylluan Penry, that any military action will result in further trouble down the road. But I still keep thinking that those guys oughtta be cut to pieces.

Honestly, I gotses no real answer, just the one I'm trying. If nothing else, it seems to be working for me.

Comment

I think I'm secretly a Buddhist inside. I like to be calm like an ocean wave way out in the deep off the radar. I'm happy and content. I let others be. But if you eff my happy place I turn into a cranky she beast!

Comment

I live in 'murika with the 'murikkkans...so, I'm gonna go with ideas never die. These nut jobs are still fighting the Civil War in their fantasies, and I'm not talking the mythical "states rights" Civil War.

I can't even type that with a straight face...states right to call people property is the only "right" they cared about, if you bother to read the primary documents for the era.
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

But... We no longer have slavery, do we?

And... It's highly unlikely that we will again in the near future.

Yup - ideas never go away, but they sink out of the majority opinion into the minority opinion with regularity.

Comment

I agree. BUT.....the Klingons take a very long time to join the Federation, and they wreak lots of havoc in the interim. In our present-day, real world, that can be the ISIL people, or any who don't want peace, but rather to conquer.

We have an amazing amount of war related things in our cultural psyche. In sales they tell you "take no prisoners". Race horses are called "warriors" if they do well. People value toughness, ferocity, etc. And the peacemakers have gotten crucified, literally or figuratively, throughout history. Sure, we hold them up as ideals, like Jesus or MLK, after they're dead, and we tell children not to be bullies, but secretly at home, the dads are saying "atta boy" and the moms are "bless-your-heart"-ing all over the place.
                        sigpic
                        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                          I agree. BUT.....the Klingons take a very long time to join the Federation, and they wreak lots of havoc in the interim. In our present-day, real world, that can be the ISIL people, or any who don't want peace, but rather to conquer.
                          Too true. Which is why I pointed it out earlier:

'S OK. If you really want to rain on my peace parade, try this: in the meantime, people are being tortured and murdered. When I think about, say, ISIL, I can agree with Tylluan Penry, that any military action will result in further trouble down the road. But I still keep thinking that those guys oughtta be cut to pieces.

Honestly, I gotses no real answer, just the one I'm trying. If nothing else, it seems to be working for me.
                          If you have a better answer, please tell me. I'm not even a singer in a rock-n-roll band.

Comment

Kill all the people that don't agree with you?

Comment

Nope.

Not enough room to hide all the bodies...
                              I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
                              Tribe of my Tribe
                              Clan of my Clan
                              Kin of my Kin
                              Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                              And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

I tried that. It wasn't working. As Rick said, too many bodies, and, on top of that, too much work. I was going at it day and night, but my list just kept getting longer and longer...

Comment

Working...
                                X