No announcement yet.

Something that makes you feel stupid...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Something that makes you feel stupid...

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
    Sometimes some of the posts Thal makes when she's all sciencee and stuff. I'm like hold up, wait a minute, let me get my dictionary in it.

I am with Duce on this..Thal is a science talker,and I am a half-asking science sorta know it almost.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

In psychology, when someone doesn't show emotion, they are said to have a "flat affect", and is pronounced with emphasis on the first syllable (AFF-ect").
      In a sentence: I'm affected by the effect a plain plane has on people, but it doesn't show in my affect.
      sigpic
      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
        In psychology, when someone doesn't show emotion, they are said to have a "flat affect", and is pronounced with emphasis on the first syllable (AFF-ect").
        In a sentence: I'm affected by the effect a plain plane has on people, but it doesn't show in my affect.
        Aaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!

Hawkfeathers, you trying to drive us nuts or what?
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
          Aaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!

Hawkfeathers, you trying to drive us nuts or what?
          Finally, a use for my English & Psych. degrees!!!
          sigpic
          Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Right on Hawk...dazzle them with horse hocky

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
              I was aware of this exception but, as I don't understand it, I couldn't justify using it lol
              I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
              Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
              But that day you know I left my money
              And I thought of you only
              All that copper glowing fine

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post

I don't even spend time on affect/effect in high school. I'm still trying to get them to start sentences with a capital letter, and to end words with "s" or "'s" as necessary.

THAT is stupid.
                So...what you are telling me is that I shouldn't sweat the fact that my 1st grader is still working on this? But maybe in the next few years I should be concerned?

(in reality, for him, just getting him to write halfway legibly is a challenge)
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                  So...what you are telling me is that I shouldn't sweat the fact that my 1st grader is still working on this? But maybe in the next few years I should be concerned?

(in reality, for him, just getting him to write halfway legibly is a challenge)
                  No... maybe what I'm saying (I don't even know) is: Go ahead and sweat it. He will be so much better off than, say, 80% of his contemporaries if he knows that this kind of stuff actually matters. As far s handwriting goes, concentrate on teaching him typing skills. Writing is a dead art. By the time he gets to high school, everything will be done in Google (or some other such Googley thingy).
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

English language in general makes me feel stupid. (I have sort of a love-hate relationship to it.)
                    Especially whenever I try to contract "who are" as "who're". Is that even okay?
                    I also can't conjugate Finnish words when I write. Which does make me feel stupid because I do it almost exclusively in such situations where it can't even be considered a typo.

...I won't even get started with the list of all the things that make me feel stupid. They are plenty.
                    baah.

Comment

Grammar, and spelling. Two things I have always been horrible at and it pisses me off and makes it worse when people correct me. Most of the time I realize when I have made the mistake I just don't always know how to fix it.

Also mistakes in general make me feel stupid. I don't like doing things I have never done or starting new jobs because they are unfamiliar to me because I don't want to make a mistake or look foolish.
                      "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Polyglots make me feel stupid. They're my kryptonite.
                        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                          Polyglots make me feel stupid. They're my kryptonite.
                          I fully agree.
                          baah.

Comment

Having an inferiority complex, I feel stupid often. However, I've learned to combat it healthfully with positive self-talk and the realization that other people are often just as awkward as I am, and nobody really cares.

Math makes me feel like an idiot when I have trouble grasping it. I'm only in pre-algebra and have had trouble with quite a few sections and spend a lot of time in my professor's office being tutored. Right now I'm having a time grasping interpolation and extrapolation.

Sometimes I slur my speech or say awkward things. For instance, someone says "Good luck" to me in regards to something they themselves aren't participating in, but I'll say, "You too." Crap like that makes me feel awkward for a good couple of hours.
                            Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                            -Erik Erikson

Comment

Clive,my brother from another mother...good to see you typing.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Working...
                              X