Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Criminals Working At A Job

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
    Also when they are desperate. And when they don't know any better.

On one hand, yes...but on the other hand, at least in the US, the "justice" system is highly biased against minorities, particularly African Americans. Convicts here are mostly people that were too poor to get a decent lawyer or people of color, or both.
    Let's not forget that some places in the US are basically returning to debtor's prison and putting people in jail for unpaid parking fines and other misdemeanours, which build up over time thanks to privatized collections.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
      Let's not forget that some places in the US are basically returning to debtor's prison and putting people in jail for unpaid parking fines and other misdemeanours, which build up over time thanks to privatized collections.
      Could you provide evidence to back this up?
      The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
      I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
        ...and conficating cash & goods from people who have not even been accused of comitting a crime, other than "carrying cash while black."

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
        Could you provide evidence to back this up?
        Feds discouraging states from jailing criminal defendants who fail to pay fines or fees

Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Lawsuits filed in Ferguson and Jennings, Mo., seek justice for impoverished people who are jailed, sometimes for weeks, for not being able to pay what they owe the cities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UjpmT5noto (Last Week Tonight does a surprising amount of research for its segments).
          Etc, etc

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
          ...and conficating cash & goods from people who have not even been accused of comitting a crime, other than "carrying cash while black."
          There's that too. Sometimes it seems like taxes aren't really low in the US; they're just shifted to the poor in other ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
            I remain neutral on this topic. There some criminals who can work on a job and there are some criminals who can't work because of their serious crimes that they committed.
            What crimes make a person unable to work?
            I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
            Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
            But that day you know I left my money
            And I thought of you only
            All that copper glowing fine

Comment

Just me being my normal self and coming from left field but the idea of criminals working at a job here seems to be entirely focused upon a released criminal. Yet what about those still in jail / prison? There used to be quite a few prison / jail systems that employed work programs both within the prison itself or within certain parts of the civilian community. Even things such as chain gangs that while not what we'd think of as a job today did under some conditions pay the criminal a minimum or lessor wage but made them worked while in jail.

It seems today the jail systems serve but one purpose, to separate them from society and in many ways leave them unemployed. Religion, education, set meals, etc doesn't really seem like punishment or rehabilitation to many. Even less who see it as any form of gainful payment towards their expenses to house, feed, cloth, etc the prisoners.
              I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

One of the problems with inmates working while in prison is that it can easily become a form of de facto slavery - that's what was going on with the chain gangs.

Such programs can be good, especially when they teach usable job skills, but they require more over site than is commonly given. This becomes an uber problem when prisons are privatized.

IMHO - there are some things that should NOT be privatized, especially: prisons, police, the military, and schools. Unfortunately, all of these things are being privatized.
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                  One of the problems with inmates working while in prison is that it can easily become a form of de facto slavery - that's what was going on with the chain gangs.

Prisons are still wildly guilty of this...maybe not the chain gang part, but the in-all-but-name slave labor, yes. And considering the way our system is racially biased and skewed against the poor, we should just call it what it is.
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

A lot of you must not have criminals the way LA has criminals. I think some of you need some qualifiers for me to believe what you are saying.

Just saying.
                    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                      A lot of you must not have criminals the way LA has criminals. I think some of you need some qualifiers for me to believe what you are saying.

Just saying.
                      Specificly, which parts?

Comment

Maybe street hustlers,con artists,three card Monty dudes....pick pockets..Hard gang types..Thug life types,hustlers,pimps,car thieves,B&E types,on and on in the city..."hot down,summer in the city,back of my neck getting dirt and gritty."

MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Whether or not the UK has criminals like LA has criminals, I don't know (The Yorkshire Ripper; Ian Brady; Rosemary West, Charles Bronson, The Suffolk Strangler, Robert Maudsley), but just because one individual place has "a bit of a record" for its criminals doesn't mean the majority of criminals elsewhere in other countries can't be helped.
                          I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
                          Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
                          But that day you know I left my money
                          And I thought of you only
                          All that copper glowing fine

Comment

Originally posted by Briton View Post
                            Whether or not the UK has criminals like LA has criminals, I don't know (The Yorkshire Ripper; Ian Brady; Rosemary West, Charles Bronson, The Suffolk Strangler, Robert Maudsley), but just because one individual place has "a bit of a record" for its criminals doesn't mean the majority of criminals elsewhere in other countries can't be helped.
                            Also, just because somewhere has lower street crime doesn't mean it doesn't have a lot of other crime. For example, white collar crime is quite rampant in some parts of the developed world.

Honestly, I think white collar criminals are more likely to be beyond help than street criminals, simply because most of them do it out of a sense of entitlement or because they have corrupt morals. But that still doesn't mean they shouldn't be given the chance at all.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                              Prisons are still wildly guilty of this...maybe not the chain gang part, but the in-all-but-name slave labor, yes. And considering the way our system is racially biased and skewed against the poor, we should just call it what it is.
                              Our systems aren't racially biased. Our society is. Has been since Reconstruction. Obviously before too but that was when slavery was OK and Jesus hated the blacks.

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrir View Post
                                Our systems aren't racially biased. Our society is.
                                Considering that the latter feeds the former and that the former reinforces the latter, its all one and the same.
                                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X