Death Penalty: Support It Or Against It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Death Penalty: Support It Or Against It

I support the death penalty because criminals deserve the ultimate punishment for their serious crimes. I believe that the death penalty should be legal in all fifty states in the US. What's your opinion on the death penalty?

Re: Death Penalty: Support It Or Against It

I know it's not something people usually have a neutral stance on, but that's where I've found myself in the past. I've only very recently started finding myself slightly opposing it, but I'm still a long way off from deciding one way or the other. So I'm eager to see where this thread goes!

Comment

I'm sure some people have had the death penalty when falsely accused. The death penalty is too easy, anyway. If they did something they should suffer the time for it.
      "Turn, and look in the mirror. What do you see?" Her own brown eyes stared back at her until she was nothing but a blur.

"I see you. Red lipstick spread perfectly over your lush mouth, brown eyes that hold centuries upon centuries of secrets. A face made to entice even the most celibate of men and women alike. A red dress that sways and moves with your body, making you a temptation like no other."

Comment

Here is my problem with the death penalty and why I feel it is indefensible. And my objection has nothing to do with the killing of people who have done horrible things. I have a hard time sympathizing. However, it would seem to me that the death penalty would only be fair, and not morally wrong, in a perfect justice system. But, we have a far from a perfect justice system.

1 in 25 Death Row prisoners are innocent according to studies: http://www.newsweek.com/one-25-execu...-claims-248889

The Death Penalty, like the Drug War, and our entire Justice System itself disproportionately affects minorities: https://www.aclu.org/race-and-death-penalty

The taxpayer cost of the Death Penalty is incredible, costing far, far more than life imprisonment: http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty

The death penalty is not an actual deterrent to crime: http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/stud...tive-deterrent

Just given the fact that you know innocent people will die, I wonder how can anyone morally justify the death penalty in our current system. The death penalty only works in a perfect system, where everyone is guilty and the punishment is provided fairly. That is not the case and never will be. It is indefensible and it boggles my mind, that given the numbers, people defend and advocate it's use.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
          1 in 25 Death Row prisoners are innocent according to studies: http://www.newsweek.com/one-25-execu...-claims-248889
          This tends to be my largest issue with it. There are any number of people on the planet that I won't shed a tear over the death (even in some cases, the horrific death) of. Unfortunately for my vengeful streak, our system demonstrably gets it wrong from time to time and its really difficult to make amends with the innocent who has just been executed.
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I'm for it. Especially for things like perpetual right/left blinker. Popping gum loudly. And walking too slow in front of me.
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Against. We don't have it in either of my countries and haven't for a long time. I'm against reinstating it.

The murder rate isn't higher in places that don't have it, so it can't be a great deterrent. As ThePaganMafia mentioned, the justice system is far from perfect, so innocent people end up on death row. And even if it were perfect, I don't think "eye-for-eye" justice is appropriate in most cases. Barring extreme cases, I don't believe that most people are beyond redemption.

Comment

The points against the death penalty have all already been made.

My only concern is in those vast minority of cases of sane but entirely malicious individuals who have no regret over what they do, there is no doubt they did it, and they are just a drain on tax payer money whilst being a threat if they don't serve a life imprisonment.

Prison should be a place where dangerous people are kept until they can be rehabilitated. If they can't be rehabilitated, what's the point of storing them? And if they don't care that they are in prison, then that's not a punishment. Drowning rats can be a fitting response, sometimes.
                I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
                Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
                But that day you know I left my money
                And I thought of you only
                All that copper glowing fine

Comment

Originally posted by Briton View Post
                  The points against the death penalty have all already been made.

My only concern is in those vast minority of cases of sane but entirely malicious individuals who have no regret over what they do, there is no doubt they did it, and they are just a drain on tax payer money whilst being a threat if they don't serve a life imprisonment.

Prison should be a place where dangerous people are kept until they can be rehabilitated. If they can't be rehabilitated, what's the point of storing them? And if they don't care that they are in prison, then that's not a punishment. Drowning rats can be a fitting response, sometimes.
                  It costs far more to execute than to house for life so it would seem execution is a larger drain on the taxpayer dollar.

Comment

It costs far more to execute than to house for life so it would seem execution is a larger drain on the taxpayer dollar.
                    Well gang members seem to know how to execute on the cheap. Maybe we should 'rehabilitate them' and give them a job executing death row inmates. I mean it's a win win.
                    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Only because that's how the law is set up.
                      I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
                      Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
                      But that day you know I left my money
                      And I thought of you only
                      All that copper glowing fine

Comment

Here is my problem with the death penalty and why I feel it is indefensible. And my objection has nothing to do with the killing of people who have done horrible things. I have a hard time sympathizing. However, it would seem to me that the death penalty would only be fair, and not morally wrong, in a perfect justice system. But, we have a far from a perfect justice system.

The Death Penalty, like the Drug War, and our entire Justice System itself disproportionately affects minorities: https://www.aclu.org/race-and-death-penalty

The taxpayer cost of the Death Penalty is incredible, costing far, far more than life imprisonment: http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty

The death penalty is not an actual deterrent to crime: http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/stud...tive-deterrent

Just given the fact that you know innocent people will die, I wonder how can anyone morally justify the death penalty in our current system. The death penalty only works in a perfect system, where everyone is guilty and the punishment is provided fairly. That is not the case and never will be. It is indefensible and it boggles my mind, that given the numbers, people defend and advocate it's use.
                        Pretty much this, almost verbatim.
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

There are people who deserve execution.

I don't wanna be the one to pull the switch. I don't wanna ask someone else to do it for me, either.

(The likely response - "I will." My response - "Good for you." Saving time here...)
                          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

To be honest, for those who are really awful and beyond rehabilitation, I still think death isn't a fitting punishment. It's an easy out. Even in a fairly just prison system, jail is a tedious dull place, and if you're there forever, your life is clearly going nowhere. I'd rather have awful people spend a lifetime locked away waiting for it to be over than give them quick out.

Comment

Have to admit I am split on this question.

On one hand if we have a rabid dog or one that attacks a person then we put them down, period. Yet a human who does the same we allow to linger in the system, or worse claim to be rehabilitated and release them. Yet the last rehabilitation results I saw indicated hard core child molesters and abusers don't have a great rehabilitation rate. Serial type murder's frequently slip through the system before finally being caught, many times on some minor offense that had nothing to do with the actual murders.

Yet the other side is the fact we can't say positively that every person who is charged and given the death sentence actually is guilty. Even if guilty circumstances may differ so greatly that death for one seems over kill while for another seems almost anticlimatic compared to their charges. So does the woman who kills an abusive spouse get the same treatment as say a Ted Bundy? Some would say murder is murder regardless of the reason why one committed the murder. Yet is it really? Consider the child killers such as Mary Bell. She was rehabilitated and now lives under a new name I understand. Yet is she less guilty for her murders than the adult who does the same? Given what she did it was as hard and unforgiving as any adult's actions.

Of course there is the automatic appeal then for the death sentence and who knows how many counter appeals that can be generated. All tying into the added costs of housing said prisoners.

So at this point in time i'd have to say it is a case by case situation.
                              I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Working...
                              X