Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Death Penalty: Support It Or Against It

Originally posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
    It seems to me that people who are advocating express use of the death penalty fail to address the obvious issue of innocent people getting executed which means that you are either so naive that you believe the justice system gets it right 100% of the time or that you just don't care that innocent people will get executed.

So, which is it?
    I'm up for killing guilty people.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

We,meaning the US is one of fewer countries that still have a death penalty(China is in the group).

THIS speaks volumes

70% of people in local jails are NOT convicted of ANY crime(from the site)
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
        I'm up for killing guilty people.
        And that's fine. If the system worked.

Comment

Well usually when you are in a local jail, you did something illegal or thought to be illegal. At that point you are technically innocent until you get in front of the judge etc.

Comment

And this about our prisons.

From Site:
            The United States has less than 5 percent of the world's population. But it has almost a quarter of the world's prisoners.

- - - Updated - - -

Also here.

We are among a small group of countries that have the Death Penalty.

Countries include:China,Iran,North Korea,Yemen,USA,Saudi Arabia,Libya,Syria, and others.
            Not a good group to be included in.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

And you know, in countries without the death penalty, we're not exactly swimming in murder, which leads me to believe it can't be all that effective as a deterrent.

Comment

Well usually when you are in a local jail, you did something illegal or thought to be illegal. At that point you are technically innocent until you get in front of the judge etc.
                I'm not quite sure what your point is. Are you implying everyone who is in prison is guilty?

Comment

It seems to me that people who are advocating express use of the death penalty fail to address the obvious issue of innocent people getting executed which means that you are either so naive that you believe the justice system gets it right 100% of the time or that you just don't care that innocent people will get executed.

So, which is it?

Comment

So, you don't think that their innocence matters? Just their conviction? That the collateral damage is ultimately worth it?

Comment

I'm not quite sure what your point is. Are you implying everyone who is in prison is guilty?
                      There is more of a chance that they are guilty than that they are not. Yes some people end up in the wrong place at the wrong time and get scooped up but that it is not the vast majority of people.

- - - Updated - - -

So, you don't think that their innocence matters? Just their conviction? That the collateral damage is ultimately worth it?
                      How about justice for the victims of a crime and their families. Don't you think that is important?

Comment

No. I'm replying to this:
                        70% of people in local jails are NOT convicted of ANY crime(from the site)
                        Prisons and local jails are different. When you go to prison you are convicted of a crime. Local jails (like LA county, have criminals serving under one year OR have people waiting to go to court to get their case tried to see if they are in fact a criminal)

I mean look at my local jail. It's a sheriff's station. Most people in there are just waiting to get bused to county to await a trial to then maybe go to prison.

I wasn't actually implying anything. I was just clearing up what was quoted. I'm not going to actually argue this topic. Because eventually someone is going to get their panties in a twist and say something so snarky they will get this thread closed per the usual.

And I'm guessing that just might be you if you keep up with your huffytown ways mi amigo.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                          And you know, in countries without the death penalty, we're not exactly swimming in murder, which leads me to believe it can't be all that effective as a deterrent.
                          We find that no amount of laws is a deterrent for crime. So then it comes down to punishment and if possible rehabilitation. Like I posted earlier though, sociopaths and psychopaths are rarely able to be rehabilitated.

Comment

Prisons and local jails are different. When you go to prison you are convicted of a crime. Local jails (like LA county, have criminals serving under one year OR have people waiting to go to court to get their case tried to see if they are in fact a criminal)

I mean look at my local jail. It's a sheriff's station. Most people in there are just waiting to get bused to county to await a trial to then maybe go to prison.

I wasn't actually implying anything. I was just clearing up what was quoted. I'm not going to actually argue this topic. Because eventually someone is going to get their panties in a twist and say something so snarky they will get this thread closed per the usual.

And I'm guessing that just might be you if you keep up with your huffytown ways mi amigo.

Well, I was mistaken in what you were replying to.

But, if debating this point get's thread locked so be it, I guess.

Comment

I am not sure where the 70% of people in local jails are not convicted of any crime came from. I guess that could be while they are awaiting their trial date. There is a time limit to charge someone upon their arrest or they must be released. If you are charged and unable to bond out then yes it could be some time before a trial and conviction or acquittal. But the statement that 70% of people doing time have not been convicted may be a bit misleading. Perhaps an oversight on the part of the poster?

Comment

Point is,people end up being locked up waiting,even though we have a system of Bail..and for minor crimes there is OT(Own recognizance) as in we trust you will show for court.
                                Innocent until proven guilty...

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Working...
                                X