Innovation vs infrastructure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Innovation vs infrastructure

When trying to be smart, it is important to remember to laugh.

While reading this article on the horrors of mindless inovation, I ran into a reference to this video on infrastruture:

Humor speaks louder than curses.
    Last edited by B. de Corbin; 07 Apr 2016, 03:36.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Innovation vs infrastructure

It is interesting that John Oliver is having a REAL effect of many things. He is quoted in the online news a LOT now. He goes after the stuff,most will not touch,and people are responding to him,and he is having an effect on the public you seldom see with a Comedian. Being on HBO he can say things like Bill Maher does.

I myself am a BIG fan of his stuff,as well as I am a big Fan of Larry Wilmore on comedy central's "The nightly show"
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
      He is quoted in the online news a LOT now.
      As someone who gets most of their news from twitter and 4chan, I've only really seen two quotes from him: "Come on, it's 2015!" and (my personal favorite) "Come on, it's 2016!"
      Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
        It is interesting that John Oliver is having a REAL effect of many things. He is quoted in the online news a LOT now. He goes after the stuff,most will not touch,and people are responding to him,and he is having an effect on the public you seldom see with a Comedian. Being on HBO he can say things like Bill Maher does.

I myself am a BIG fan of his stuff,as well as I am a big Fan of Larry Wilmore on comedy central's "The nightly show"
        Yes - comedy can say things that would normally be boring in a way that creates interest.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
        As someone who gets most of their news from twitter and 4chan, I've only really seen two quotes from him: "Come on, it's 2015!" and (my personal favorite) "Come on, it's 2016!"
        That explains a lot.
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

He is on Youtube a LOT,and people are sharing his videos a LOT

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
            That explains a lot.
            That I'm a millennial? I thought that was fairly obvious. Social media is where it's at among the kiddos, traditional media is going the way of the dodo.
            Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
              That I'm a millennial? I thought that was fairly obvious. Social media is where it's at among the kiddos, traditional media is going the way of the dodo.
              No. That you try so hard to be seen as a thinker, but lack any data to do so.

Might want to try reading a book...

Comment

The first conversation we had on this forum was about how I was reading about Jung and Alchemy.

Comment

Maybe it depends on what you follow. I also get 90% of my news from social media (an am a millennial) and I see his stuff all the time. All over Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, etc.

He's well loved in left-wing and European circles. So maybe that's part of why he comes up so much for me. Though, I subscribe to his show on YouTube, so I watch it first thing Monday morning before I've done a anything else.

Comment

No. That you try so hard to be seen as a thinker, but lack any data to do so.

Denarius is reasonably conversant with the idea of linking support for his statements. The reliability of that support may be open to debate (or not, don't know or currently care) but that problem isn't fixed simply by switching media to books. I can find some disturbing books.
                    Last edited by MaskedOne; 07 Apr 2016, 05:16.
                    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

The problem from getting news from social media is that social media is primarily clickbait. I get most of my daily news from NPR. I also like Al Jazeera and BBC as far as cable news. I do read some stuff I see on social media but I take so much on the internet with a grain of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
                        The problem from getting news from social media is that social media is primarily clickbait.
                        Clickbait is more of a new media thing, news sites and blogs. The real problem with getting news from social media specifically is what DanieMarie was bringing up. Cliques and echo chambers, the tendency we have to seek out content and people who reaffirm our ideas rather than challenge them.

I take so much on the internet with a grain of salt.
                        As you should with the stuff offline as well.

Comment

Thanks for the lesson, dude.

Comment

Having viewed(listened) news for a very long time,I have memory's of Walter Cronkite,and Walter Winchell on Radio and early TV. I do know a little of news style,and also because of the times back then,censorship about some topics. I think at times Millennial(not attacking you guys) want a kind of very easy and quick sound byte,or text byte because they are so busy being "Hip"(again not attacking)..it is a generational thing. In some ways we are shaped by our technology,and our media is not always doing it for the pure desire to inform,but to manipulate,and get the ratings.

Even I,with the experience of having seen and heard news in a different perspective,am I believe as effected as many of our younger forum members,by today's media blitz.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
                              The problem from getting news from social media is that social media is primarily clickbait. I get most of my daily news from NPR. I also like Al Jazeera and BBC as far as cable news. I do read some stuff I see on social media but I take so much on the internet with a grain of salt.

Comment

Working...
                              X