Innovation vs infrastructure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Innovation vs infrastructure

And of course,click bait do that because they make money for every click. The internet is not always such a safe place..lots of hustlers and con artists roam the Interweb..
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
      Having viewed(listened) news for a very long time,I have memory's of Walter Cronkite,and Walter Winchell on Radio and early TV. I do know a little of news style,and also because of the times back then,censorship about some topics. I think at times Millennial(not attacking you guys) want a kind of very easy and quick sound byte,or text byte because they are so busy being "Hip"(again not attacking)..it is a generational thing. In some ways we are shaped by our technology,and our media is not always doing it for the pure desire to inform,but to manipulate,and get the ratings.
      Hmmmm not really. It has nothing to do with being hip or cool. I think it has more to do with all of the stuff that is constantly vying for our attention. I'm still old enough to remember the days before the Internet, and I do remember what it was like before. I have so much more trouble paying attention to things now. Between the Internet, traditional media, and even just going out on the street, there is so much out there competing for our attention. Personally, my response is often to either totally tune out or to go for whatever offers me the easiest access. I think most people in my generation go for the latter.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
      Clickbait is more of a new media thing, news sites and blogs. The real problem with getting news from social media specifically is what DanieMarie was bringing up. Cliques and echo chambers, the tendency we have to seek out content and people who reaffirm our ideas rather than challenge them.
      I don't think confirmation bias is specific to social media and digital media, though. Before the Internet, most readers had a preferred paper, and most viewers had a preferred news network, and so on.

Comment

There is the blinders thing when confronted with to much input(watched "the brain" on National Geographic channel) very interesting stuff about the brain,and why we act the way we do..also some on youtube on the brain to watch.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting youtube stuff on the brain(Crash course series)

Interesting watch...
        One video here.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
          Denarius is reasonably conversant with the idea of linking support for his statements. The reliability of that support may be open to debate (or not, don't know or currently care) but that problem isn't fixed simply by switching media to books. I can find some disturbing books.
          I regret being nasty, and apologize to you, Denarius.

My problem - I have a big problem with anti-intellectualism, and that is what your statement looked like to me.

Again, my fault, and I am sorry.

Let's get back to comedy...
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

John Oliver has a really good way of making me interested in issues that I'm not really otherwise interested in. Technically, it doesn't really matter to me that infrastructure is crumbling in the US. But it was still interesting to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
              John Oliver has a really good way of making me interested in issues that I'm not really otherwise interested in. Technically, it doesn't really matter to me that infrastructure is crumbling in the US. But it was still interesting to watch.
              LOL - yeah. How's the infrastructure in Germany?
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

He does bring things into focus..

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

What I dislike most about news formats today is having to waste time separating the completely false from the semblance of truth. I prefer a clear, point-by-point summary of the events of the day, a la old school newspapers/tv news.
                  sigpic
                  Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                    LOL - yeah. How's the infrastructure in Germany?
                    Haha that's probably the thing, though. Maybe this particular video wasn't a great example, because Germany is going through a lot of the same problems. Where I live, it's GREAT, because the government pumped a lot of money into updating the infrastructure in the former East (I live in former East Berlin). We have awesome highways, bridges and train tracks, and in central East Berlin, we have far better bike infrastructure than in the central parts of the former West. BUT, they haven't made similar investments in the former West. The highways are older, the bridges are in trouble, the trains are a NIGHTMARE (especially in North Rhine Westfalia...worst state for train travel ever), and the roads and bike lanes are in worse shape in central West Berlin.

I guess I should have picked a better example of something that totally doesn't affect me, but John Oliver still got me watching. Maybe the one he did on sex ed (though I can honestly say I have NO idea how sex ed looks in Germany. In Canada, where I grew up, it's reasonable). But this was the video at hand, so...

Comment

I was actually expecting Germany to be better.

I guess it's just not sexy anywhere. Here in Michigan we have a lot of freeze/thaw cycles each year. When the ice goes, there's more pothole than road. And we are having one hell of a time paying for road repair.

I'm also at the point where I'm afraid to use one of Michigan's technological wonders - the Mackinac Bridge.

image.jpg

(Although I think upkeep on the bridge is actually pretty good. The bridge brings in a lot of money, both through useage fees and tourism)

P.S. The sex ed video was, regretably, dead on for the US.

Comment

Like many other countries, Germany is big on the bottom line. Although I think it still has a more long-term approach and although the social infrastructure is definitely strong here, physical infrastructure is failing because the government has trouble seeing the cost vs. value in these transactions. Luckily, it IS a big point of conversation here at the moment, although no one can seem to agree on how to fix it.

Comment

The Crash course guys also cover many other subjects as well.
                          Their home with links to all their video courses.

I find them very interesting as a learning tool and also entertaining.

They be here.

- - - Updated - - -

All free BTW,and a donate thing if you feel like that.

- - - Updated - - -

They do politics as well,explaining how our Government works.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Working...
                          X