Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tarot Reading Issues for Self

Jan 2015
    Religion
    Solitary Eclectic Pagan

Unhappy Tarot Reading Issues for Self

I have never been able to do readings well for myself without them being a meaningless jumbled mess. I cannot even do readings others have requested if I'm in them. A friend of mine ( non-pagan ) says that I'm blocked ( she did a reading ). It didn't explain why or how how. Just that I was blocked. How can I even be blocked?

When I read for others, without me in them, the readings come out just fine, I really don't understand. If anyone has any answers that could help, it would be much appreciated. :/

Oct 2015
    Religion
    Experience and Insight

Re: Tarot Reading Issues for Self

I interpret 'being blocked' simply as not being able to interpret the symbols and intuitions of the cards. I was lucky enough to pick up the Tarot fairly easy my first few times, but that is not because I am a psychic or more intuitive than others but because I enjoy the study of symbols, colors, animals, and occult correspondence, which naturally comes out during readings.

Some may think it is too intellectual, and it really is tedious and very hard to stick through it, is the study of Qabalistic symbolism of the Tarot, such as the astrological associations, the 22 paths, the metaphors behind the elements (Minor Arcana).

Every little thing helps. It takes study and trust in what you are receiving from the cards.

A good way to get in touch with your own intuition and learning how the cards read or lead the day is picking one card a day first thing. Take notes on the first impressions that come to you. Live your day, and at the end before you go to sleep, read the interpretation from the decks booklet of your Day Card and see if your day was anything like the description and your first journal. This will help you read the cards through your own understanding and through the authors understanding.

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

If your referring to the reversal cards I think I'll get a better understanding of what you mean of being blocked. Some people don't use reversal because they don't want a negative reading. I use reversal for two reasons: 1. It my preferences to use reversal. 2. I want an honest reading. I hope this answer your question about your tarot issues.

Aug 2015
    Religion
    Ecletic pagan.
    Phrase
    This too shall pass.

It's always easier looking from outside the problem. It could be you are "blocked" because you are too close to the situation you are reading for. Maybe try imagining yourself sitting across the table, and clear your mind and read for yourself as though you are reading to another person? How are they jumbled? Could it be your mind looking for the most possible answers instead of the "clearest" (most significant?) answer from each card? Could it be you see the card and not only interpret it but unconsciously start thinking of ways to fix it while you are doing the reading, which changes how it applies perhaps?
    “I am Cat and I walk alone and all ways are the same to me.” ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Jan 2015
    Religion
    Solitary Eclectic Pagan

I want to thank everyone for their replies, it means a lot to me. When I mean blocked, I mean literally, like somethings keeping me from reading for myself.

I don't do reversals. Mostly because I'm OCDish and it bothers me.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Shamanist Witch with heady Celtic notes and a faint wiccan bouquet

Have you ever, maybe when you were first starting out, tried to read for yourself but didn't like the cards you drew so put them back in the deck and drew a different set? I don't think the cards (or whatever it is that makes them work), take kindly to that.

I think I've told this story here before in the past, but I did that before moving to Germany. The cards told me it would end in disaster. So I ignored that and tried again. I drew very similar cards with the same message. So I asked a third time and it said 'everything will turn out perfectly'. It was like the cards gave up because I clearly didn't want to hear the truth. I haven't been able to read the cards since. It's sad too. At one point I had a few paying clients who had me over to their home every 6 months to do readings for them and friends. One lady actually fell out with me for refusing to read for her, not understanding that I didn't trust the cards anymore.

I actually suspect that the cards would still work if I read for others, but I'm too scared to put myself through the humiliation of getting everything wrong so I'm not willing to try.

Incidentally, Germany was a massive fail. I couldn't find enough work to support myself, so I blew what little savings I'd accumulated over the years. I was too shy to push myself to use what I knew of the language and the man I'd moved there to be with not only dumped me before the move, but also spoke to me like I was scum whenever we met up and stopped speaking to me altogether when I moved back home, telling a mutual friend that he hated me. Not my finest life experience.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Apr 2012
    Religion
    eclectic Heathen
    Phrase
    Its not about finding the "right path" but more so finding the path that's right for you

One big thing I've said over and over again with Tarot and reading for yourself is be very, VERY wary of doing future readings because you'll get sucked into self fulfilling prophesy stuff and as Jembru mentioned, not always wanting to believe anything the cards may say if its not going the way you want to. Had a friend who did this with his love life over and over getting cards that said that if he didn't change his outlook he'd be alone forever basically.....and in not doing anything different, or changing how he goes about dating, and especially communicating with said dates, it's been one failure after another and he constantly falls back on the "well the cards were right and nothing can change it" bs. I tend to lean towards suggesting reading for advice on whatever situation and being open to the possibility that you may or may not like what they have to say (especially if you're reading with a faerie deck....cheeky snots)
    Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
    Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

I read for myself all the time.

But.

I don't believe the purpose is to tell you an immutable future.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

May 2012
    Religion
    Panentheistic Progressive Christian
    Phrase
    No limits

Quote Originally Posted by pengivenink View Post
    When I mean blocked, I mean literally, like somethings keeping me from reading for myself.
    At what point do you get blocked?

So you ask your question, Lay out your spread and then what? Do you forget what the cards mean or something?

Oct 2015
    Religion
    Experience and Insight

Maybe spend time in meditation and out in nature. You might find another way that opens your perceptions to the cards. Maybe you are just not ready for the Tarot for whatever reason and another form of Oracle may speak through and to you.