Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zika:Just shows how the Zombie thing could catch us off guard.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zika:Just shows how the Zombie thing could catch us off guard.

Story here.

It seems we take so LONG to deal with an emergency,how the Zombie thing could get us so much.

But the new finding should help officials make a more convincing case to the public for taking precautions. Some officials hope the Zika report will change public thinking about Zika the way the 1964 surgeon general's report convinced many Americans that smoking causes lung cancer.

Everyone panic,but do not rush out screaming "The Zombies are coming!!"
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Re: Zika:Just shows how the Zombie thing could catch us off guard.

I doubt the CDC has tested the babies of every pregnant woman who was exposed to the virus.
    "Smoking causes cancer" is a BS line that has been proven false. If smoking causes cancer then why do people who have never been exposed to smoking get cancer? Why do people who smoke for their entire life not get cancer, or emphysema or other problems the "smoking causes"?
    Politics and medicine do not mix well.
    The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
    I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
      I doubt the CDC has tested the babies of every pregnant woman who was exposed to the virus.
      "Smoking causes cancer" is a BS line that has been proven false. If smoking causes cancer then why do people who have never been exposed to smoking get cancer? Why do people who smoke for their entire life not get cancer, or emphysema or other problems the "smoking causes"?

Comment

Ok,get ready if you live in certain parts of the east coast..the Cicadas are coming..yup those noisy 17 year critters are due to emerge once again.

Story here from Huffington post.

Pic of one of those little buggers.(actually a video and their "Sound")

If you have ever heard them,you never forget that sound.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
          "Smoking causes cancer" is a BS line that has been proven false. Why do people who smoke for their entire life not get cancer, or emphysema or other problems the "smoking causes"?
          First.
          If smoking causes cancer then why do people who have never been exposed to smoking get cancer?
          I'm going to explain something to you. I'm going to explain it in easy speak because...well we all know why I'm going to explain it in easy speak. Falling from a ladder cause can you to break a leg. But yet people who have never gone on a ladder have indeed broken a leg. See how that works?

I've never been around a long time smoker who was healthy or didn't sound like they swallowed a frog or didn't hack up half a lung while dragging a cig. I'm sure there is some super healthy person sucking down cigs like tic tacs that doesn't sound like a dying ertha kitt.
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I smoked a LONG time,and even though I am not yet dead,there are consequences from long term smoking..Circulation issues,some breathing issues,and other issues.

Glad I finally quit,it is a real pain to quit,hard as hell..still get the urge from time to time BTW after a year and a half.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Wasn't DF just mocking the way the media and joe-public don't differentiate between A causing B, and A significantly increasing the risk of B. Smoking doesn't cause cancer. Certainly not all cancers, by any stretch. But it DOES cause mutations in the cells, and it is those mutations that can develop into cancer. Other things can increase your risk too of course.

I thought this was the point he was making rather than 'there is no link between smoking and cancer'. Because THAT would be like me saying 'I've bought hundreds of lottery tickets but never won, so there's no connection between having a ticket and winning the lottery. Smoking is just like buying thousands of tickets every day instead of the hundreds of tickets our lifestyles naturally provide us with. Each ticket still has the same chance of winning however many you have.

It's not the nicest lottery, but we're all in it whether we like it or not. Avoiding having too many tickets is the best hope we have of avoiding cancer, but no one is free of risk however healthy they try to be.

But weren't we talking about zombies? ^^
              夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                Wasn't DF just mocking the way the media and joe-public don't differentiate between A causing B, and A significantly increasing the risk of B. Smoking doesn't cause cancer. Certainly not all cancers, by any stretch. But it DOES cause mutations in the cells, and it is those mutations that can develop into cancer. Other things can increase your risk too of course.

I thought this was the point he was making rather than 'there is no link between smoking and cancer'. Because THAT would be like me saying 'I've bought hundreds of lottery tickets but never won, so there's no connection between having a ticket and winning the lottery. Smoking is just like buying thousands of tickets every day instead of the hundreds of tickets our lifestyles naturally provide us with. Each ticket still has the same chance of winning however many you have.

It's not the nicest lottery, but we're all in it whether we like it or not. Avoiding having too many tickets is the best hope we have of avoiding cancer, but no one is free of risk however healthy they try to be.

But weren't we talking about zombies? ^^
                We can hope. But chances are he meant it. I got odds going on the side if you wanna lay some money down?
                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                  We can hope. But chances are he meant it. I got odds going on the side if you wanna lay some money down?
                  I'll do more than bet. If he did mean that there is no difference in risk between smokers and non-smokers, I'm gonna start posting as though MY make-believe reality is real too!
                  夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Some people don't understand how causation actually works. Some people that don't understand how causation actually works also don't understand how causation is established over correlation. But that's okay. It's why I don't get my medical or scientific information from them.
                    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
                    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
                    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

I'm smoking a ciggy and feeling depressed all of a sudden, for some reason...
                      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

OK, let me say this in small words and I'll even type it slowly for those who don't read fast:

There are a lot of things that increase the odds of getting cancer. the biggest of these risks is called genetics (the way your body is formed in mommy's tummy)
                        Smoke contains some things (called chemicals) that can increase the odds of you getting sick (like with cancer). Every time you go outside your body is hit with gamma rays (it's space radiation) and gamma rays tear your DNA apart. That can give you cancer - and it does! The thing is, our bodies can repair that stuff and it does daily. You don't get sick with cancer until your body can't repair that damage any more. Then you end up diagnosed (the doctor tells you) with cancer. It doesn't matter how you got it, but now you have to either help your body fix the bad cells or you will die.

If you live long enough that your body can't fix itself you are very likely to get cancer. Your odds increase if you spend a lot of time in the sunshine without those SPF thingies. Your odds increase if you have close relatives who have had cancer because it shows that your immune system is not programmed to fix those broken cells. If you spend time at campfires, walking close to high traffic areas, burn candles or incense in your home a lot, or if you smoke these things can add to your chance of getting cancer. If your immune system is in good shape and you are not genetically inclined to get cancer the likelihood is that you will not live long enough to get it.

I know I used some big words but they were necessary. If you don't understand them there are dictionaries on line that can help.
                        Ladders don't cause broken legs - the fall can - but if you know how to land or have strong and flexible bones the fall is likely to be ok.
                        Baseball bats don't cause home runs. Marriage does not cause divorce.
                        The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.

Comment

Only one question here DF,do you,or have you ever smoked?
                          A question of importance from a LONG time smoker that quit...I smoked 56 years...and quit..But answer the question please.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                            Only one question here DF,do you,or have you ever smoked?
                            A question of importance from a LONG time smoker that quit...I smoked 56 years...and quit..But answer the question please.
                            I don't know what importance it has to the conversation about cause and effect but the answer is yes, I have smoked and yes I have quit. I am 65+ years old. I have known people who have died of cancer between the ages of 7 and 66. Some were smokers but some were never exposed to cigarette smoke in their lives. One, died of a "non-specific" cancer but was a smoker. The cancer he had was not related to sun exposure or to cigarette smoking. It was likely caused by gamma radiation exposure.

Now, tell me why my smoking history is important to the conversation. Please answer the question.

Comment

It is always good to have personal experience about a subject you are going to lecture others on is all. and I am closing in on 70,and smoked 3 packs a day for several years...
                              also came very close to being dead several times because I was a little bit of a jump in feet first kind of person.. Actually surprised I got to this ripe old age..

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Working...
                              X