Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ant problems

Hi everyone,

So we're having ant problems in our kitchen and bathroom. I try to keep the kitchen cleaned (wash dishes, clean the counters, put up boxes of stuff, etc...) and we have been spraying the bathroom with both ant and roach spray and vinegar. However, the little buggers won't stay away. One of my organic cleaning books says that you can use peppermint, paprika, or red pepper around your doors to keep them out. However, I have dogs and I am worried about them. Is there a solution that you can recommend to me? We have a pantry and the buggers still get into it as well. Ugh! I appreciate any ideas. Thanks everyone.
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Re: Ant problems

If you can find the main "Nest" you can use detergent to wipe out the "Nest" I had a nest that was under the driveway at a house I was living at,and I pored detergent and used a hose to finish them. You can also use detergent and water spray to kill them without worrying about harsh chemicals as well. I used a biodegradable one .

- - - Updated - - -

Detergent makes water "Wetter" and it kills the ants and other insects. BTW farmers use detergent to allow water to penetrate their fields much better.

- - - Updated - - -

Read here about wetter water.

- - - Updated - - -

What I was talking about to kill ants.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I had a lot of ants coming from the patio glass door. I used my cleaning solution of vinegar/baking soda and then vacuumed the area. I then laid down ground cinnamon along the entire strip of wall and door. Little buggers haven't been back since.

In the pantry and kitchen it shouldn't be too hard to lay it down along the walls and in the back, etc. I just did a super quick check and cinnamon is okay for dogs. Sometimes just deterring their path for a few days is enough to make them change their food hunting habits, if I remember right.
      ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

Sprays don't work well for ants...you need a bait gel that they take back to their colony...once they've laid down a trail to your home, they know where the food is. This is the time of year where they are coming out of dormancy in full force and on the hunt for good food sources. Either that, or obsessive cleaning with things that will neutralize their pheromones--vinegar and baking soda are both good for this, as are citrus oil cleaners. You can also sprinkle cinnamon or chili powder where they are coming in, or along their scent trail. But really, they come where the food is. You have dogs, dogs have food that is generally very easy to get to. All dog food should be in a plastic container, for starters. If you leave food out for them, make sure you clean floor really well with something that will destroy the scent trail. And look for where they are coming in at--most of getting rid of bugs is about preventing them from getting in in the first place. Close up the easy access points and make them work for it. Also look into food grade diatomaceous earth (you can order it on amazon or pick it up at lowes--make sure it is food food grade and not the pool filter kind).
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Speaking of bugs,I woke up to see one of those "stink" bugs just staring at me from my bedside table. Those little things creep me out,because I have no idea how they get in.
          Once woke to find one sitting on my hand...

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Thank you everyone for the help. Definitely going to start putting the ideas into practice. I usually get the huge bags of dog food, but am going to get the smaller bags and put them in a plastic container. I am also going to start vacuuming and mopping the kitchen at least every other day. Thanks again.
            Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

At least you don't have those electronic eating ants like in Texas.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a video about the "Crazy ants"

I would go crazy if I had to deal with ants eating electrical stuff.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Last spring I had an infestation of ants in my mailbox. I tries cinnamon, etc. to no avail, and finally got some Terro brand gel, put some in there on the supplied little pieces of cardboard, left for a day, never saw another ant. As far as using it inside the house with dogs around, I have no idea. In the pantry, on a shelf where dogs aren't going, should be fine. If it was me, I'd keep the dogs confined elsewhere for a day and let it set out overnight where the ants have been, then take it up and clean the area.
                sigpic
                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Thanks for the advice Hawkfeathers. I'll look into the Terro brand and see if it is okay for pets. Can't confine my dogs unfortunately.
                  Anubisa

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                    Speaking of bugs,I woke up to see one of those "stink" bugs just staring at me from my bedside table. Those little things creep me out,because I have no idea how they get in.
                    Once woke to find one sitting on my hand...
                    Oh I hate those things. Seem's nothing will get ride of them and if they get excited or scared then they release their scent and hundreds of them then show up. Don't ever remember seeing them years ago but they sure are an issue now where I live. IN that regard almost as bad as the Lady Bugs who swarm and nest in the walls, attics or ground clutter near the houses. Have to use a shopvac or heavier to really suck them up and even that doesn't mean it will work.
                    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I read they came from south east Asia on a ship carrying food. Here in NJ,they are all over in the spring and summer..in Fall they go away I guess for the winter,but show up if the temp goes over like 45-50.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Terro is actually more of a liquid than a gel, but they also make bait traps. It's basically Borax mixed with some kind of sweet syrupy stuff. You could probably make it yourself but would have to research how much Borax to use. The mfr. claims it's not toxic to people or pets, but I'd check that a million different places and err on the side of caution!
                        sigpic
                        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I read they came from south east Asia on a ship carrying food. Here in NJ,they are all over in the spring and summer..in Fall they go away I guess for the winter,but show up if the temp goes over like 45-50.
                          I think ours go dormant during the winter but if we get a few days of warm later in winter they show up then vanish again. Yet by late Feb to mid March they start to show up in force and will be a pain all late Spring & Summer with a scattering presence into early Fall. Can't even say they are nocturnal only or daylight only as they seem to show up whenever. Can't just squash them though sometimes you can catch them to at least get them out of the house.

No natural enemies here that I am aware of as even the birds don't seem to eat them around here.

Comment

I am really surprised crows don't eat them,crows will eat ANYTHING!

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I am really surprised crows don't eat them,crows will eat ANYTHING!
                              Haven't seen them eat the stink bugs or those pesky Japanese Beetles. We have a number of fruit tree's in our yard and the beetles get those a lot even if we spray them. Still trying to figure out what might work on each of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X