Everybody is boycotting North Carolina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everybody is boycotting North Carolina

So if you've been living under a rock, or maybe just not an American and living under a rock (because we love to air our dirty bigot laundry all over the globe) here is the lowdown. North Carolina passed a very cruel and probably unconstitutional law pretty much let's be real anti queer law. Most of the states are pretty appalled by the whole thing. And many businesses in all fields have pretty much banned spending money in North Caroline via business transactions/contracts and tourism.

Pretty much if you are a biological man who is trans gendered and living life as a woman..and you gotta pee...you gotta go to the little boy's room.

Because that will end well.

Everyone has a bathroom at home. Both genders have peed and poopied in there. You all lived.

What's your take on this?
    Satan is my spirit animal

Re: Everybody is boycotting North Carolina

I'm totally against the law and think it's unfair to trans people, but I'm not sure boycotting is the way to go. Removing economic opportunities is punishing regular people, not the government. And although the people technically elect the government, I think that's kind of a grey area in the modern state of democracy in the US.

Boycotting a region isn't like boycotting a product or brand. On top of that, when governments make these kinds of decisions, they don't do it out of economic interest. They're doing it out of pure religious conservatism. In other places, sanctions and boycotts haven't tended to work so well when beliefs were involved. Maybe North Carolina could be the exception, but I still think there could be a far better way to protest this law that wouldn't hurt the residents of the state.

Comment

I agree with you DanieMarie. I think it's unfair to transgender people because they were born one way but programmed another. They can't help that they are the way they are. This is not like we are letting rapists in the bathroom with our children. These are people who have rights like we all do to use the damned bathroom without judgment.
      Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Strange law. If one looks like a woman and enters a woman's bathroom, will that person be frisked to check gender?

It's not enforcible. The only time it would come into actual use is if some problem arose, like an obvious man going into the lady's room.
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
          Strange law. If one looks like a woman and enters a woman's bathroom, will that person be frisked to check gender?

It's not enforcible. The only time it would come into actual use is if some problem arose, like an obvious man going into the lady's room.

The law is more about the state imposing its will over municipalities.

The same bill prevents the same town (that passed the trans protection ordinances), along with any other that wanted to do so, from enacting their local minimum wage law.

Irony, considering that its coming from so-called "conservatives".
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Remember that the "Machine" politics still are strong in some small town places,when in Albany,NY, Local people mentioned the "Machine" that still runs things..Albany's mayor was in office for well over 30 years,and just died while I was living there.

- - - Updated - - -

This guy was mayor for 40 years.

Here he is(Wiki)

- - - Updated - - -

Erastus Corning 2nd (October 7, 1909 – May 28, 1983) was an American politician. He was Mayor of Albany, New York for more than 40 years, from 1942 to 1983, when Albany County was controlled by one of the last two classic urban political machines in the United States. Albany's longest-serving mayor, the Democrat died in office in 1983. His great-grandfather, Erastus Corning, was an industrialist who founded the New York Central Railroad and served as Albany's mayor from 1834 to 1837. His father, Edwin Corning, was Lieutenant Governor of New York from 1927 to 1928.
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

My views is the law is totally unfair also it's nobody business what you do in bathroom. Why can the governament just butt out from people privacy?

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post

The same bill prevents the same town (that passed the trans protection ordinances), along with any other that wanted to do so, from enacting their local minimum wage law.

Yeah - I saw the second section when I looked at the bill (South Carolina HB2, http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2015E2...e/PDF/H2v4.pdf), but didn't read it since nobody was talking about anything but the potty issue.
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

It's pretty much keeping their municipalities from making non discrimination laws. This state's representatives that passed this bill need to be hit in the pocket book. That way their people who voted for them etc will get pissed and ixnay the next stupid idea.
                  Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I live in North Carolina and this stupid law has turned the whole state up on it's head

Originally posted by thalassa View Post

Pretty much this. The bathroom stuff is just a distraction. Even if the bathroom thing gets repealed, the rest of the law will remain intact. Party of "small government", amirite?

And as much as I hate to say it, this is probably going to get Governor McCrory re-elected. Because of all this backlash he is now playing the "Woe is me I'm being oppressed by the big gay liberal agenda" card which is going to win over conservative voters
                    "Well I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer,
                    The future's uncertain and the end is always near"

Comment

This is why the whole world is so retarded these days. Like I said before it's nobody d*** business what they do in the bathroom and the state doesn't have no right to make these retarded laws so they could pay the d*** taxpayers money.

Comment

I've seen transgendered (or at least very good cross dressers) in the ladies room before. Sometimes it seemed a little obvious because of their height/big feet/just a feeling.....I remember one such person in particular at Studio 54 in the very early 80's. We struck up a conversation and s/he was hilarious and sweet. So I really don't give a rat's butt what's under the dress, just go in the stall and do your business and get back out on the dance floor!
                        sigpic
                        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I am trying to imagine you as a Disco Babe Hawk...groovy...

MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

LMFAO! I actually did have shoes almost exactly like that. I was always more of a rocker than a disco-er but all that Saturday Night Fever stuff happened in the middle of my college years, so we kinda had it all.
                            AND - we all used to sometimes go in the men's rooms at the clubs because the ladies line was too long. Nobody cared.
                            sigpic
                            Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                              LMFAO! I actually did have shoes almost exactly like that. I was always more of a rocker than a disco-er but all that Saturday Night Fever stuff happened in the middle of my college years, so we kinda had it all.
                              AND - we all used to sometimes go in the men's rooms at the clubs because the ladies line was too long. Nobody cared.
                              I'd dare to say you were all adults in those clubs and such. Most of the disgruntlement I hear about this law is because of the children and young adults that might be in those bathrooms. That, to me anyway, is the part that keeps being omitted here, it's not adults in a bathroom / lavatory setting it's mostly the presumption of children / young adults being in them. Though have to admit there are some that are simply hollering because of it being male's dressing as females in a females bathroom / locker room / etc.
                              I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Working...
                              X