Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm offended, you're offended, we're offended.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm offended, you're offended, we're offended.

The world is always offended. I was just reading a post on the makeup discussion forum I frequent. It's a place we all snark on the ideas of make up. And once every few weeks a post on 'appropriation' of makeup comes up. This time East Asian chic is offended some white chic wore Bindi jewelry. She pretty much said since her mother was ridiculed for wearing it, she is offended when she sees white chic wear it and not get harassed as her mother did. In essence her past with this jewelry is clouded with a sensitive history.

Sister, that's not my history. You can be offended. But that word is not a stop word. The history you have is not my history. I can understand people being offended over things. Because each of us has our own emotional back story. But just because you got raped by a guy in a diet dr pepper costume doesn't mean I have to give up my drink.

I'm being snarky. Because I'm so fed up with people being offended. Go on. Be offended. Who the eff cares?

This isn't about appropriation. It's about the idea of being offended. And when that meant action had to be done by people who are complete and utter strangers. I mean I'm offended by dumb people. But there they are. Everywhere. What's a gal to do.

Have you ever used that phrase 'I'm offended' and wanted someone to change something because of how you felt? Or is there a place for when being offended means everyone around you has to change? Gimme your views!
    Satan is my spirit animal

Re: I'm offended, you're offended, we're offended.

It might be that an older person gets offended when a younger person offers help..it is stupid because we at times really could use the help..but for that offer,it implies we are "OLD" a nasty and degrading term(yes that is satire) I am offended you are a young and healthy person,and I am VERY Jelly..cause I am not..
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I kind of hate the whole "offended" police that permeate culture these days. I'm all for being more sensitive to marginalized groups, but at the end of the day, people have a right to be offensive. That doesn't mean we can't say anything about it, but there's so much "you CAN'T say that" or "Shut this down" or worse, "This person should be FIRED" going around. People shouldn't lose their jobs for making an insensitive remark. And while I think that forum moderators and comment section moderators should block openly racist comments or obvious trolling, displaying some ignorance or insensitivity shouldn't warrant an immediate blocking.

The Internet is a big place full of all types of people. Different people get offended by different things, so almost anything is bound to offend someone. Me, I get offended by comments that European gun control isn't good for Europe or that our health care systems mean we're not free. But obviously, that's not going to offend everyone, so I don't expect comments like that to be wiped off the face of the Net.

Comment

Freedom of expression means the freedom to offend and to be offended.

But here's the thing--freedom to be offended doesn't mean freedom from repercussions. The person(s) that are offended have the freedom to express themselves too.

And, freedom of expression only means that the GOVERNMENT can't censor expression, it doesn't mean that private entities can't determine what they will or will not host, publish, run, etc. They don't have to allow someone else's offenses represent them and become their offenses (specially in those places with their right to fire for whatever tickles my fancy legislation).
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

There is honest offense, and there is dishonest offence.

I have to be careful in the classroom because I can, inadvertently, cause honest offense - for example, if I jokingly say to a class "Have a good weekend. Try not to get arrested," I may have a student who is currently in trouble with the law, or who's parent was just sent to prison. People offended in this way rarely speak out, but they still feel hurt.

Then there is dishonest offense. This is the kind of thing Nietzsche described in Beyond Good and Evil (The Evolution of Morals), where somebody uses manufactured BS moral superiority in order to exert power over someone else - this would apply to the make-up and jewelry issue you described, Medusa.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
          And, freedom of expression only means that the GOVERNMENT can't censor expression, it doesn't mean that private entities can't determine what they will or will not host, publish, run, etc. ...
          You forgot "or sue for slander/libel in civil court."

(Currently explaining this in journalism class )
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
            Freedom of expression means the freedom to offend and to be offended.

But here's the thing--freedom to be offended doesn't mean freedom from repercussions. The person(s) that are offended have the freedom to express themselves too.

And, freedom of expression only means that the GOVERNMENT can't censor expression, it doesn't mean that private entities can't determine what they will or will not host, publish, run, etc. They don't have to allow someone else's offenses represent them and become their offenses (specially in those places with their right to fire for whatever tickles my fancy legislation).
            That's true, and I'm not arguing with that. I don't think people should be able to say whatever they want without consequences. But that being said, I think the Internet goes overboard. Let the punishment fit the crime. Often, the punishment does NOT fit the crime. If someone says something stupid or insensitive, it doesn't necessarily warrant them losing their jobs, or having hundreds of people troll them and hound them all over the Internet (or have it spread into their offline lives). Peoples lives have been literally ruined by making stupid comments. I don't think that's an appropriate response to something like a guy making a joke about his "dongle" or a girl posting a fake screaming photo in front of a war memorial.

Comment

I always wonder if the people who go on hashtag jihad against people who have let something "offensive slip" or have committed some slight have themselves been perfect. If I was surrounded by cameras all the time I'm sure it wouldn't take long to get me boycotted.

It seems to be easier to be offended than it is to talk about real issues.

Comment

I'm offended by this thread.
                Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

But of course you are,humans have so much to be offended by...I myself am offended when I hear the "Intelligent design" argument. Just from living in this body of flesh,if the design was intelligent,then I would have a self repairing system more efficient than this one I am in . Perhaps a much more efferent power source,maybe a direct absorption of power from the sun light. A much better manual of use to ponder over.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I get a little offended IRL when someone who's known me a while says my name wrong, and laughs at me for correcting them. It's one of those deals like Anna vs. Ann. Close but no cigar. And I have an Irish friend who constantly refers to my nationality as EYE-talian. So I call him EAR-ish, and say between us we have 2 senses. He says it less & less all the time. Sometimes you just have to bite back and use humor.

As for strangers, I'll tell them where to go & what to do when they get there. I did my time in customer-focused work and now revenge is mine.
                    sigpic
                    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I just consider myself a Frog-wop-limie-What ever Irish is called-also some dutch in there(and as my dad said Kanuck(sp)) cause French Canada..Although the kanuck is appropriated from Canadian Indians I think.
                      Any way,I do not get offended when addressed that way,cause I am an International MUTT!!

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Sorry, but the term "mutt" is offensive. We prefer the term "breed-challenged".

Check your privilege. Thanks.

Comment

I will bite you in your politically correct butt...Except I might catch something...have a great day...

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Something that irritates me is when X announces that they are offended and Y (usually a "celebrity" or a politician) goes into groveling-apology mode. I long to hear some-one say "Oh get over yourself!"

Comment

Being a Satanist, I have to admit that the Bible was right. The meek (the frail, easily offended, trigger warning defenders) will inherit the earth.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Working...
                              X