Howdy from Metro-NYC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howdy from Metro-NYC

Hi! I'm Brian. I live right outside of NYC. My spiritual beliefs come closest to that of a Unitarian-Universalist Pagan (w/ strong Celtic-Druid leanings). That said, I'm stlll involved somewhat with a United Church of Christ congregation because of its strong social-justice activities with LGBT people, the poor, and people of color. I'm also a follower of Jesus, the man... who others understood later as being God (and not just pointing towards God). Politically, I'm a polytheist. Personally, I'm still working out how I understand the Divine Mystery working in the world. I'm also a Gay Male Widower, for 15 years, still single and still looking! I'm an avid reader: Anything that isn't 'fluffy-bunny'! But mainly ancient world religions: Celtic/Druid, Norse/Heathen, Greek/Roman, and to a degree still, 'Christian'. My hobbies are: Collecting anything vintage 1940s, 1950s, 1960s that's Christmas-related (at the right - cheap - price, that is!). Papercrafting. 1930s and 1940s B/W movies (comedy, drama, mystery, musical). All kinds of music (except for Opera and Rap). My black short-hair cat. Geology and earth-science. Baking and cooking 'comfort food'. Web-surfing. The list goes on...

I've been an on-again, off-again member of another pagan chat site (which is being overhauled this week, so it's down :=(, so I thought I'd take this opportunity to check out this forum and its members. Looking forward to getting to know y'all, as well!
    peace,
    Brian (njsquarebear)

Re: Howdy from Metro-NYC

Welcome to PF!

I'm a huge fan of the UCC--born, baptized, and confirmed in the church, believe it or not. When we go home to visit the family, we still go to services--its the only Christian church I'd ever consider going to for anything other than educational purposes, support/respect for friends/family, or a special event. I only left because of the Jesus factor--socially, they are great. There are a number of us here that are either UUs or attend UU services, etc too.

I hope you enjoy it around here!
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Hello and welcome, Brian. I hope you enjoy it here.
      Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy it here!
        Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Thanks everyone! After I posted this message, I realized that I really am not 'new' to this board but had actually posted about 30 messages or so back in 2013 when I joined (oy veh, my memory is going! LOL). One thing, I have to say right off the bat (no pun intended!) it so much easier and less tiring on these 59 year old eyes reading off a black background than white one. So special thanks for the person who came up with the color scheme which is great!
          peace,
          Brian (njsquarebear)

Comment

Double-plus cool to meet you!

You sound like an interesting fellow - I look forward to your conversation.
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by njsquarebear View Post
              Thanks everyone! After I posted this message, I realized that I really am not 'new' to this board but had actually posted about 30 messages or so back in 2013 when I joined (oy veh, my memory is going! LOL).
              I thought you looked a little familiar! Welcome back. Tell me a little of your study in Druidism?

Comment

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
                I thought you looked a little familiar! Welcome back. Tell me a little of your study in Druidism?
                My Druidism reading has been limited to the forums (past and present, found here and on the Cauldron) as well The Druids and The Druidry Handbook. I've been reading many of the books on the ADF "Dedicant" Reading List (General, Celtic, Heathen, Greek) in the hopes that a particular pantheon would fully grab my attention. I've been at this for about 2-1/2 years but I've yet to get a clear sign. I'm not sure why, but possibly it might be because of (not so) subliminal psychological/religious ties (still) to very liberal/very progressive Christianity. I'm also wondering that perhaps ADF's hard polytheistic stance may not be for me, and I might be better being part of OBOD which is more philosophical-spiritual. (Certainly, politically I am a hard polytheist, but personally, religiously, I am unsure still how I see the Divine Mystery.) That said, ADF has more of a local presence for me - a grove - if I get well enough to attend an upcoming ritual.
                peace,
                Brian (njsquarebear)

Comment

My Druidism reading has been limited to the forums (past and present, found here and on the Cauldron) as well The Druids and The Druidry Handbook. I've been reading many of the books on the ADF "Dedicant" Reading List (General, Celtic, Heathen, Greek) in the hopes that a particular pantheon would fully grab my attention. I've been at this for about 2-1/2 years but I've yet to get a clear sign. I'm not sure why, but possibly it might be because of (not so) subliminal psychological/religious ties (still) to very liberal/very progressive Christianity. I'm also wondering that perhaps ADF's hard polytheistic stance may not be for me, and I might be better being part of OBOD which is more philosophical-spiritual. (Certainly, politically I am a hard polytheist, but personally, religiously, I am unsure still how I see the Divine Mystery.) That said, ADF has more of a local presence for me - a grove - if I get well enough to attend an upcoming ritual.
                  I wish you wellness! ADF seems to have a strong presence in the US, more so than OBOD.

Ties from Christianity was why I could never really move away from it. In the end, I considered what other people were saying about their own faith (how it felt like a home-coming etc) and my experience in Christianity. For me, I just ended up resigning myself to being totally claimed by Christ. Not that I resent it - Christianity is the best platform for me to explore many varieties of spirituality because I truly believe in absolute freedom and following the divine wherever I find it. I had far less time to do as much study as I'd have liked into Druidism as I began study a little before the arrival of my firstborn and just never got back into it. I love the idea of the physical world being a manifestation of the divine and its personality being displayed throughout. OBOD drew me a little for the same reason it draws you - it's more about spirituality and philosophy but I also found it lacking in definition.

Currently, I'm exploring the idea of Shekinah being the manifest presence of God which is probably a little more relevant to my framework.

Hope you still find your way back here every now and then with an update or two in Celtic traditions.

Comment

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
                    ...Ties from Christianity was why I could never really move away from it. In the end, I considered what other people were saying about their own faith (how it felt like a home-coming etc) and my experience in Christianity. For me, I just ended up resigning myself to being totally claimed by Christ. Not that I resent it - Christianity is the best platform for me to explore many varieties of spirituality because I truly believe in absolute freedom and following the divine wherever I find it...

Hope you still find your way back here every now and then with an update or two in Celtic traditions.
                    This is my own personal opinion, of course, but I feel that unless you've personally had a very bad or traumatic experience with Christianity as a child, youth or adult, it's difficult to move away from this spiritual tradition if you're a liberal, progressive, social-justice-oriented person as some like me are. You don't have to see Jesus as a God, to see him a pretty good role model (not the only one, obviously!) singling out "the least of these" (sick, abused, prisoners, widows, etc) for care, just as some of the Old Testament prophets do. Fundamentalist, conservative, and sometimes evangelical Christianity is a whole other story... I can def. understand why my older brother's husband became an atheist as an adult having been raised in a small Bible-belt town in central Texas and dealing with abusive parents and townsfolk.

That said, Paganism for the most part is a very solitary practice. And while some Pagans, as individuals, can be found in social-justice organizations... I don't find many... or perhaps they choose to remain 'closeted'. So in Metro-NYC most Pagans are about their own particular career, or job(s), and their solitary practice, and solitary educational endeavors (Pagan / non-Pagan). On the other hand, Christianity encourages group involvement on a weekly basis (worship, socialization afterwards, and in my congregation a wide variety of ways to do good deeds). Frankly, Paganism sometimes seems to me to be very conservative culturally, with a lot of individuals supposed to 'pull themselves up by their own bootstraps' to make a way in the world (like many of the Pagan gods did in the myths?). I see this especially in Heathenry (yes, there are things I like about Heathenry, like its strong sense of community - once you're accepted into a community by proving yourself over time, though!) But just in general I don't see Pagans who care all that much about other Pagans, but maybe I just don't know all that much about my local Pagan community, or we don't have very good ways to talk about what groups or covens or kindreds are doing for others?
                    peace,
                    Brian (njsquarebear)

Comment

well welcome to the forum
                      Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Good With Kethup.

Comment

That said, Paganism for the most part is a very solitary practice.
                        Agreed!

...So in Metro-NYC most Pagans are about their own particular career, or job(s), and their solitary practice, and solitary educational endeavors (Pagan / non-Pagan).
                        While this is true, on this forum at least we have a handful of people who are very open with their hard-earned knowledge. I have seen other attitudes whereby people with wisdom will only pass it on to a 'worthy' student, but I don't see it too much here. I have a feeling it would happen a lot more IRL.
                        Frankly, Paganism sometimes seems to me to be very conservative culturally,
                        Can you please expand on what you mean by this? Do you mean the culture is conservative morally or do you mean slightly-almost-secretive about their ways? [/quote]
                        ...or we don't have very good ways to talk about what groups or covens or kindreds are doing for others?
                        This is probably true, but also I think the whole point of the religion differs. FYI I'm setting aside my own personal beliefs for a little bit and talking in general terms about mainstream Christianity. So in mainstream Christianity, the point is for humankind to 'be saved' and live God's way. So the spiritual well-being of other humans is a high priority. With paganism, there's no real push for the development of others because nobody has a need to 'be saved' from anything or to live with prescribed principles. What is left to do is to simply develop the self in whatever fashion one wishes. Bottom line: Christians are involved in social justice issues because we believe in the innate worth of every human and because we are commanded to do so by God. Pagans have no such commandments (that I know of) and may not even live with the conviction of the innate worth of a person, let alone have that worth outrank another living creature or landscape.

There was a topic about the role of paganism in modern society and what unique, positive contributions it could bring on the boards.... I'll see if I can find it. I vaguely remember though most people seeing paganism's solitary and un-organised structure as a positive and very much preferred that style of living their faith.

As for me, the sole reason I still attend church is because I'm not willing to give up the benefits of community. Before I had my son, I had no idea about the value of community and family. My family enjoy a large and diverse social network which in my opinion is a source of all forms of wealth. My children have the opportunity to inherit the community ties I choose to develop now. In the working world where people follow the money, community ties can be fairly flimsy. Church ties tend to last longer - for better or worse!

Of course the flip-side to a strong, healthy church community is the backlash when someone wants to leave!

I'll see if I can find that old thread now.

Comment

Working...
                        X