Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: neuroscience vs torture

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
    But then wouldn't there be counter training to combat that?
    Like look, they are going to try to be your bestie, it's a trap! Don't fall for it.
    Anyone know what other countries do that don't torture though?
    Yeah, but over enough time, I don't think it would matter.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

After a while the fear of death goes away(resigned) and even pain is muted(system response)..
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

But then wouldn't there be counter training to combat that?
        Like look, they are going to try to be your bestie, it's a trap! Don't fall for it.
        Anyone know what other countries do that don't torture though?
        Most tricks can be trained against but thorough training takes time and resources. Not everyone will have it. Even after that, not all people have equal motivation. Rapport building may not work on everyone (I'm not sure any single tactic works on everyone) but it works a lot. I'll have to re-locate the article I saw but building rapport seems to be the commonly preferred answer in most western countries. I haven't come across tactics elsewhere yet.
        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

One path would be over riding brain function(It is electrical in nature) control the speech and memory,and no real way to fight that. Alter input and thought.
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I could totally understand that.
            So...what DO you do when you want to extract info from a non-cooperative person?
            Just keep asking?
            Give them some tea and sweets?

I'm actually not being snarky. What's the alternative?
            Blackmail?
            www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

The best way to get information is not torture. It would be easy enough to put people together with similar backgrounds and record their conversations. They are more likely to talk among themselves than to anyone else. Torture is totally unreliable. If someone doesn't know any information they will say anything to stop the torture. If they do know something they will take the torture as long as they can and then give you misinformation. (that is part of training)
              With religious fanatics torture and death just brings them more rewards in the afterlife so they will endure it. You can't win by injuring or killing them because it just makes others follow their example. The only way to win against terrorists is to be worse than they are but to do it humanely. (without pain)
              The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
              I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

I could totally understand that.
                So...what DO you do when you want to extract info from a non-cooperative person?
                Just keep asking?
                Give them some tea and sweets?

I'm actually not being snarky. What's the alternative?
                The most effective interrogator during WW2 was kind to prisoners, gave them treats and even took them to the zoo. I'll have to look up his name later, but he's a dude that existed.
                Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                  One path would be over riding brain function(It is electrical in nature) control the speech and memory,and no real way to fight that. Alter input and thought.
                  "These are not the droids you're looking for"?

--

As the article points out torture, be it ethical or not, generates incorrect dialogue & confession. From an efficiency standpoint, it's ineffective, expensive, takes time and gives us the wrong information anyway?

Peeps really think 16thC accused witches would confess to flying around at night eating babies and murdering their neighbours with spells if they were given tea and cakes with a nice chat?
                  Work hard Play hard.
                  What is history?

Comment

Working...
                  X