natural pain relief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

natural pain relief

i need to see if i can find some natural pain relief for my friend... she got bit by a spider and is in alot of pain... tylenol 3 doesnt do squat
    "Close your eyes, take 20 paces farther than you thought nessesary and just when you think you've lost your way completely.. you'll be there. open your eyes" Alice Hoffman

Re: natural pain relief

Spidar bite? First see if its dangerous(duh) I always just ice spidar bites till they go numb, but I do that for alot of stuff.
    Circe

Comment

she's got meds (antibitics) but the pain pills perscribed arent helping.
      "Close your eyes, take 20 paces farther than you thought nessesary and just when you think you've lost your way completely.. you'll be there. open your eyes" Alice Hoffman

Comment

It really depends on what kind of spider bit her - different spiders have different venoms with different effects. Some are neurotoxins, meaning that her nerves are going to be over-firing, sending crazy signals to her spine & brain. Some venoms have more effects on the muscles - things like spasms, cramps, numbness, tenderness or aches. If it was something like a recluse, with venom that causes direct tissue damage, that will probably benefit the most from an OTC like Tylenol or ibuprofen.

Ibuprofen is the best for all-around inflammation. Hydrocodones (Vicodin, Loritab) & codeine work best if administered before pain sets in, like while you're still numb from dental work or immediately after a broken bone or sprain. If she was in pain prior to taking the meds, they aren't going to be that helpful. A muscle relaxant like Soma would work best for a muscle toxin, and something for shingles, neuralgia or along that line would be best for a neurotoxin. Without knowing exactly what type of spider bit her, it's harder to make recommendations.
        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

In addition to what Perze said, pain management is about staying on top of the pain. If she had a point where the pain was manageable, and let taking more meds go too long, then she's behind the power curve. Getting the pain back under control is usually about taking more meds--and when those meds are narcotics, its usually not a good idea to do so on your own. TBH, there really isn't any natural pain relief (outside of naturally having a good pain tolerance or already having skills at coping with pain) that is going to beat conventional medications. And, from my own experience with pain meds (both taking and giving them)--for some people, they just don't work...you either have to suck it up, or hope to hell to find something to dull the pain enough to fall asleep til it feels better. If she is really in that much pain, that she can't handle it with what she's been given, she needs to go to the ER, or contact her doctor. There isn't anything she can take OTC, or herbally, etc that is really going to help for this sort of thing.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X