• Time
  • Show
Clear All

DEBATE! Dumpster Diving

Anyone here wich is dumpster diving?

Re: Dumpster Diving

Depends...

For food? Ew, no.

For perfectly decent, good working order furniture "dumped" next to the curb or dumpster for trash pick up by people moving, etc? Heck yeah, if its something I need.

I don't go out of my way to look for stuff or do it as a hobby or anything though; I'm more of serendipity shopper--if its there when I pass by, sure.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Wondering if you are refering to Freeganism

Here is a wiki

I have read about it,but did DD when I was much younger(Hippy scavenging)

- - - Updated - - -

The younger years was mainly furniture(wire spool tables,hatch cover tables.etc.) also mainly in SF street furniture left by people moving.

- - - Updated - - -

There is a trend these days of food sellers donating food they would have discarded(there were laws against that before) some were about lawsuits if someone got sick from older food. Mainly donated to food banks and food kitchens.

- - - Updated - - -

Some of the Freeganism brings up old images of the Diggers.
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

When I was homeless in NYC I would check out some of the dumpsters around restaurants. Some times you could find some really good food. Generally it wasn't a huge issue. I had money to eat-just not enough money to pay $1500 a month for a shoebox studio. I got a lot of clothes out of dumpsters too.

Comment

Thinking you would have loved the Diggers in SF back in the day...free wheeling and of course love joints...
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Think I've picked up a piece of furniture or such a few times but that's been it for me regarding dumpster diving. I know I used to work in a university / college town and heard stories of dumpster diving at the end of the school year. Everything from brand new laptop computers still in the box and never opened to expensive clothes and jewelry was found. So during that time period there were a lot of dumpster diver's it seemed.

It's what we used to call Curb Side Shopping for the Curb Side Shopper. Have seen a few times where certain religious groups would put out tables or crates of excess fruits and such and mark it free. Not to often lately for certain but still find them once in a while. Still find a lot of the on your honor tables where you leave a "Donation" for the food items you take which could fall into the curb side shopping.
            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

When younger and poorer, yup - I got food where I could.

Still get furniture and other usables where I can...
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I dumpster dive for whatever I find Also food. I am not a freeganist (interesting concept though) but here in Norway were I live they throw away to much perfectly fine stuff. I do not like the mentality of our stores in my country were they easy throw away stuff even when it is not expired. When I find food I share with neigbhoors and friends wich needs stuff

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah we do have freeganism here also, but for the most hardcore freeganisms here they do try and not buy anything. I am not there, however I love a good deql and I love reusing stuff as it amazing all the cool stuff that can be made.

Comment

The apartment unit I just left was right next to the dumpster. All sorts of awesome furniture ended up near it. If I couldn't use it, I'd send my friend a "dumpster alert" and she would check it out. That's about the extent of my experiences.

There's a guy in this town who drives a truck and goes through the dumpsters all over town and grabs stuff and sells it. I'm not sure how profitable he is, but apparently it's worthwhile enough for him to put in that energy.
                  ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

I'm also not really one for going through a dumpster but I have no problem checking the stuff out thats beside it. In my early 20's that's where most of my furniture came from.
                    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

I love the idea of it, but I don't think I could handle it myself. I'm picky about my food under average circumstances and have some obsessive-compulsive issues, so this is beyond my personal comfort level, but I totally support people who do it - why not, after all, when it would just be wasted?!

Comment

When you are really hungry you may find that your "comfort level" expands quite a bit.
                        I have gotten food, clothing and even stuff that could be re-purposed for a need I had at the time from dumpsters.
                        The store managers were pretty good about it back in the 70s. They would put out some veggies and fruit that were arguably sales worthy for me. Yes I asked if it was ok before diving in. They were concerned about the liability issues so they didn't tell me they allowed it, just that they wouldn't prosecute for it.
                        The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                        I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

How is Dumpster Diving counts as a hobby anyway?

Comment

For food, yes, but only at certain times of year. Its a bit gross mid summer, and midwinter most things are spoiled (frozen).

Mostly art.

Comment

I don't do it anymore, but I have, mainly for bagels or Trader Joe's, but they started padlocking the dumpster. Because, you know, homeless and hungry people shouldn't eat out of dumpsters where they aren't bothering anybody nor causing any harm, they should just starve or be treated like garbage for asking for money that hardly gives them enough to feed themselves

I'm okay with it, but only if I need it. A lot of my friends still dive, but they also travel a lot. Besides for food, who doesn't love free stuff!

Comment

Working...
                              X