Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amazon Dash Button--AMAZING?!?!? or WTF?!?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazon Dash Button--AMAZING?!?!? or WTF?!?!?

So, Amazon has this new thing called a "dash button"...its a little gizmo that you stick to your wall or the drawer/cupboard where you store something, and when it looks like you are low and running out, you hit the button, and voila! 2 days later, its at your doorstep. (In reality it sends a message via wifi to your amazon app and amazon orders it for you, charges you, and delivers it)

What do you think?

I'm not sure if I think its cool or if I think its rampant consumerism gone mad. I can see people and situations where it would be helpful--someone that is housebound, for example. But, for most people, I feel like its kind of lazy over-convenience (any you are talking to a full supporter of online grocery shopping with drive-by pick-up) and (worse, for me) not really all that effective.

What we REALLY need is a home inventory system--where I can scan in my shopping list (groceries, household items, etc) and then scan them "out" when they are used/emptied, that then generates me a shopping list and wirelessly connects with the website of the store I frequent where I can then go in and add extras, etc. That would be sweet. Especially if it also indexed recipes that I could make with what it knew I had, and give me the nutritional information for the whole meal. If you are going to go for lazy over-convenience, do it right!
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Amazon Dash Button--AMAZING?!?!? or WTF?!?!?

Hm, what happens when you have false orders I wonder? Not sure I would want one myself but it probably is the future in some capacity.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I'd prolly try to keep it in a pocket and end up butt ordering all the time.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I've thought about getting one, but I'm not sure yet. Still thinking about it.
        Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

I have seen something about this. For older types like myself,it could be very useful. Various things like personal hygiene items,though in some cases if they are prescribed by a doctor,they can be delivered on a schedule. My friend that died had such a thing. He had medicade,so it did not cost him out of pocket.(He was VERY low income)

For myself it would be convenient,and I can order food and stuff to be delivered here. As it is my Daughter and my ex,shop for me.(I do not get out) As long as your kids do not get the button and do the pressing game,should be cool. Thing is if it is only one item per button,that is a little to specialized. I could see a hand held unit that would have a list to pick from. Maybe that Amazon talking thing...that would listen as you told it what to get.
          Future,a house robot that keeps track of things for you. I think they have a refrigerator that keeps track of when you need things. The internet of things I think they call it.
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Oh god no.

Bloody terrifying.
            www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Hello,my name is ..................HAL!!!!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Hard as it may seem,you KNOW this stuff is coming...a Robot may not be in your future right now,BUT in Japan they take care of the elderly.

Story here.

And you thought I just made that up,didn't you...
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                Hm, what happens when you have false orders I wonder? Not sure I would want one myself but it probably is the future in some capacity.
                Cancel them. It e-mails you when an order is made. Amazon doesn't box and ship instantly, just log into your amazon account and cancel the order. Also, it won't allow duplicates. Once the thing is pressed, it won't work again till the order is delivered/cancelled. Least that's the claim. I haven't used the technology and don't really intend to so I can't give a first hand account.
                life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I'm not playing. First of all, Amazon doesn't have the best prices on household goods in Germany. Second of all, it's just one step further away from local shopping, and I like to support my community. It already bothers me that most smaller local shops don't stock that kind of thing, but at least I can buy that stuff from stores that employ local people and pay their tax in this country (which Amazon avoids).

Comment

Working...
                  X