Women only train carriages (cars)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Women only train carriages (cars)

TBH, the idea that women need a women-only train car isn't based on the idea that women need protection or that women are more frequently victimized by men. It's based on the idea that men can't control themselves around a woman. Honestly, I would think men would be insulted. As a woman, I am certainly insulted--both for myself and for my husband and son. This very idea is the same reason that women usually get the kids in a custody case, the same reason why women get alimony more often than men, the same reason that women are more often SAHMs, etc.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

I'm all for it.

There.
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

And if you choose it,then its all good..
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Choosing it for myself - fine.
          Having someone else say 'You're a woman, go and sit in that carriage' not so fine.

Trains don't even need to be crowded for some people to sexually harrass others. If you get a seat and discover someone sitting nearby, staring, and with his hand in his trousers... yes, it does happen.
          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

As much as I hate the idea, it has become necessary in some places. In India, where this whole thing started, gang rapes are unfortunately common on public transportation. In the UK, where they're considering it (and probably other places, too), women still get harassed and groped on a regular basis.

This isn't about segregating women or forcing them to sit elsewhere. Women are free to sit in any other carriage. It was women who called for this. It's about offering a safe place to women in a public area where they often do *not* feel safe. If so many men weren't still groping women on the train, this wouldn't be happening. It's not up to me to say what other women feel threatened by. I've been groped and harassed on the train, but still feel safe in general. Some women do not, especially if they have had worse experiences.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
              In India, where this whole thing started
              Actually, it started in Japan and over a hundred years ago at that.

This isn't about segregating women or forcing them to sit elsewhere.
              Yeah, it's about segregating everybody and forcing men to sit elsewhere.
              Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Solution...Just give all of us our own personal Limo..no crowding...just cruising along in our luxury auto mobile..Its a convoy!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

YEH,a CONVOY!!!!
                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Healthy dose of reality - In places where women are not safe in the company of men they need a place where there are not men.

Theoretically, Is it better to expect men to behave as if they were decent human beings? Sure. That's a good long term goal. But in the short term, does it help anybody? Nope.

Reality beats out theory, every time - IMHO.
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                    In places where women are not safe in the company of men they need a place where there are not men.
                    Exactly, we just need to look at the statistics and respect people's feelings. No one should be forced to associate with people they can't feel safe around.
                    Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

How about a greater police presence? Lock up the harassers. Better yet, throw them off the train when it's moving at high speed.
                      sigpic
                      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                        How about a greater police presence? Lock up the harassers...
                        That would work as well, I imagine, should people be willing to pay for it.

In some places, in the old days, there was self-policing. People discouraged public rudeness - but these days discouraging public rudeness seems to be the rudest thing one can do, unless it happens to be the current PC fashionable thing to hate.
                        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

It does work when and where resources are available. My friend and I were harassed on a train once by a bunch of drunk bachelor party guys from the sticks who were coming into the city (not touched or anything, they just wouldn't leave us alone). We asked the attendant to help us and she asked them to leave. When they said they had a right to sit there, she told them they were drunk and she'd call the police if they didn't choose one of the many free seats on the mostly empty train.

That being said, not everywhere has extra police resources available, and not all train or public transport networks have the personnel available. And some places are dealing with police brutality issues, which doesn't exactly make people trust them.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                            In some places, in the old days, there was self-policing. People discouraged public rudeness - but these days discouraging public rudeness seems to be the rudest thing one can do, unless it happens to be the current PC fashionable thing to hate.
                            I don't know that I agree with this. I've read enough period letters and news articles to know that rude and lewd, even harassing behavior has historically been fairly standard--as has the failure of the public to step in and help those being harassed.

Psychology doesn't change that much.
                            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                              I don't know that I agree with this. I've read enough period letters and news articles to know that rude and lewd, even harassing behavior has historically been fairly standard--as has the failure of the public to step in and help those being harassed.

Psychology doesn't change that much.
                              Yeah - that's why I inserted that qualifier (in some places)...

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post

Crowding is a problem, groping is a problem. I don't see this is a viable solution to the second problem, and it may actually be detrimental to the first. It also does nothing to stop women being groped in mixed cars, and again may actually be making the problem worse.
                                This could be a real issue for ladies who choose to ride with the men. Some men may see it as an indication the woman wants to be groped. I liked what someone said earlier about making a non-gender specific safe zone instead of a ladies only carriage. That way, it becomes a human problem instead of a woman's problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X