Hi Heels at work...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hi Heels at work...

Fake pockets do my head in. I need pockets. Preferably large ones. For my inhaler, tissues, painkillers.... and stuff. Like books.

I was way ahead of my time in wanting to wear trousers and it caused no end of problems with my mother when I was young. I still live in trousers, and when I wear skirts they have to be full length. And I wear them with socks. (Stockings and suspenders may once have been thought sexy but honestly they are uncomfortable). and men's shoes.

Because men have the right idea on footwear. Flat wide and comfy. A bit like me, really... )
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

If men had to wear them, this would never be a thing.

Also, if PwC is Price Waterhouse Coopers (my uncle works for them in the US and I know they are global), they don't he the requirement in his office. Workplace safety standards being what they are, I'm not sure that is strictly legal...but I'm not sure--after all, I work somewhere where steel toes and hardhats are all the rage...
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

I'm not a fan of fake pockets, but I kind of understand their purpose. Like a few people have said, pockets can be bulky, and a lot of the items that have fake pockets fit very close to the body. If you put change or a set of keys in there, you are going to see it. On the other hand, the pockets can help some pieces be more flattering. I know that personally, when I wear pants without pockets at all, there's a certain lump at the sides of my hips that you can really clearly see. Pockets seem to draw attention away from that.

Sometimes, fake pockets are just about being cheap. Adding real pockets takes more fabric and requires more detailed sewing. Cheap clothing companies don't want to bother putting in that kind of resources and effort. Since the women's market for fast fashion is way bigger than the men's, you can maybe understand why this is a thing.

Also, sometimes people *think* that certain clothing items have fake pockets, but they are actually real pockets sewn shut. When manufacturers ship clothing, they usually sew the pockets shut to help the pieces hold their shape better when they're jam-packed into those boxes (and possibly to prevent in-store theft of smaller items). You're *supposed* to take a stitch ripper or small pair of scissors to those when you take the piece home, but a lot of people don't realize that you can. The reason this doesn't happen as often with men's clothing is that the style of pockets are often different (ie not the narrow slit pockets we usually get in women's clothing).

That all being said, nothing is more annoying than finding a ton of clothing with fake pockets when you want real pockets. All of my clothing has real pockets, but I don't actually use them. Ever. I even had one pair of pants where I sewed the real pockets back shut, because they always seemed to gape when I wore them. Like a lot of women, I carry a handbag everywhere (no amount of pockets is going to fit a water bottle and my epi-pen), so I don't really need them. They usually just get filled with tissues, receipts, and public transit tickets.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
        If men had to wear them, this would never be a thing.

Also, if PwC is Price Waterhouse Coopers (my uncle works for them in the US and I know they are global), they don't he the requirement in his office. Workplace safety standards being what they are, I'm not sure that is strictly legal...but I'm not sure--after all, I work somewhere where steel toes and hardhats are all the rage...
        It was the staffing firm that outsourced her to PwC that had this policy. My friend who used to work at that very same PwC office confirmed that.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
          It was the staffing firm that outsourced her to PwC that had this policy. My friend who used to work at that very same PwC office confirmed that.
          I got that--I'm just saying that other contractors that handle the reception stuff at other offices of theirs may not have that same policy.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

I love heels, though I do have a limit on the the height of the heels. After 4 inches I can't promise I can walk in them. I'd also like to see service with a whole bunch of female line cooks wearing heels, that would be hilarious!!! However I don't believe women should have to wear heels if they don't want to.

side note: I have seen some men who can rock a pair of heels like no ones business
            "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post

The staffing firm still would have had to find out about it from someone at PwC making a complaint though, right? Unless she had to appear in person to the staffing firm before starting her day at PwC?

Comment

Working...
              X