Thread: Photo sessions for everything....ugh

Sealed
    Aug 2015
    Religion
    Sumerian pagan
    Phrase
    Constants and variables

Re: Photo sessions for everything....ugh

I agree with marking special occasions with photos but not necessarily a professional for every little event. I admit I take a lot of selfies (not like every single day like some people but idk a few a month) mainly because I'm half the country away at school and my family wants to see how my life is.

lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

Quote Originally Posted by faye_cat View Post
    tl;dr: I agree that the abundance of sharing the pictures can be annoying and a reflection of a narcissistic tendency, but I think the photography itself is a good thing.
    I think that might be the root of what annoys me about this. I probably wouldn't care much if people did photo sessions for everything and framed them on their walls, put them in albums, or stored them in digital photo frames, but every time I go online, it looks like everyone is trying to be in a magazine. Likewise, it wouldn't bother me if people had candids of that stuff online. It just feels a little show-offy.

Plus, maybe separate from the photo thing but related is the celebrations for every little thing.

Edit: Like Thal and a few others here, I'm also not a selfie hater by default. It does bother me when people post them constantly, but they don't bug me overall. I used to travel alone and still know a lot of people who do, so I understand the practicality of it in a lot of cases (not -just- travelling).

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

I do post a lot of pictures...but part of that is because I use some social media like a journal/photo album, and the other is because I live halfway across the country from most of my family and friends...and especially when it come to grandparents, that matters.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

Indeed it does Thal..as I am one of those said Grand Parents as is my Ex...Our grand puppies are growing so fast!!!!
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

May 2005
    Religion
    LaVeyan Satanist
    Phrase
    A Clockwork orange

Quote Originally Posted by thalassa View Post
    I do post a lot of pictures...but part of that is because I use some social media like a journal/photo album, and the other is because I live halfway across the country from most of my family and friends...and especially when it come to grandparents, that matters.
    Yeah but your pics of your kids are pretty cool.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Lol! It helps that they are hams...
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Aug 2015
    Religion
    Ecletic pagan.
    Phrase
    This too shall pass.

Also, as a photographer, mother, aunt, etc....I do not understand overly dramatic gender reveals. They bug me. So much. And when I see professional photography for that, along with like 70 images (at most I could understand 3-7 depending on the method), it drives me crazy.
    “I am Cat and I walk alone and all ways are the same to me.” ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Copper Member
    Apr 2014
    Religion
    That one where I can play with live snakes and speak gibberish.

I do like to post pictures of the kid when I have him.

I also like to post pictures when I travel. I dont like to take a lot of pictures of myself though. I wish I had some more pictures. I have almost no good pictures of myself in the military. I just want one good pic of myself in uniform so I can have more ammo in my vain attempt to impress the lasies of the world.

lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

Quote Originally Posted by thalassa View Post
    I have nothing against that. It's a good way to stay in touch! I actually really enjoy seeing pictures of friends' kids, gardens, homemade meals, projects, and other stuff, and don't even mind if they post daily. It's the people who constantly stage everything like their facebook page is a magazine that bug me. Like, one person in my network got two separate sets of engagement photos done — one when she was first engaged a year ago, and another now. It's like, why? We already got your "Save the Date" card with your first set of professional pics in the mail. Why are you doing it *again*?