Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Photo sessions for everything....ugh

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan/Stregheria

Re: Photo sessions for everything....ugh

I wonder if they have photographers document their dress shopping experience! LOL

Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Shamanist Witch with heady Celtic notes and a faint wiccan bouquet

I personally hate the whole selfie thing too. I guess I'm biased though because I'm so hideous in photos. The thought that some people are proud of how they look enough to want to show off pictures of themselves pouting at their phones is an alien concept to me. Whenever I go anywhere nice I'd like to share with fb friends or whatever, I look so bad in every single photo that I just don't bother posting at all. My fb page is like a ghost town*. Little besides the occasional cat image someone decided to tag me in or post to my wall.. which is even worse when I think of it. People see cats and the first thing that pops into their head is me.

Omgs, I've become THAT woman.

*Not including the photos JP recently uploaded of the alcoholic storm trooper that moved in with us and does all our housework in exchange for beer..
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Jul 2014
    Religion
    Celtic Pagan, Kitchen Witch

You are not horrible in photos. Don't be so hard on yourself, aren't we working on positive body image?? Well that goes over to photos to my lovely lady! And I can say lovely lady cause I have seen photos of you that you have posted. I probably take way to many pictures of food. I don't post them all but I love food, oh and my dogs.
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Shamanist Witch with heady Celtic notes and a faint wiccan bouquet

^^
    Yeah but it's not quite as straightforward as suddenly thinking I'm picture perfect! I've been debating blogging about my journey so far actually..

In short though, the reason the positive body image thing is finally working is because I discovered there's a difference between accepting yourself as you are, and being able to see yourself as more attractive than you are. I used to think that unless I could look in the mirror and see someone with a pretty face and normal figure looking back at me, then I've failed. But I don't have a 'normal' figure, and I have unfortunate bone structure and skin. I can't change that, so instead I've learnt that it's okay to be the shape I am. Most importantly is that I've learnt that it's also okay for people to be thinner or prettier than I am, and that their existance doesn't affect me in any way.

Sadly my face really does look bad in photos. I have dark circles under my eyes that are genetic rather than something I can fix with plenty sleep. They're very ageing and make me look kinda sickly. Now and then I get a lucky shot where the light was just right, but usually I look worse in photos than I do in real life (I don't mind moving videos of myself for example).

It's okay. I'm honestly okay with being a bit hard on the eyes, and ive gained half a stone and I'm not freaking out about it, or planning my next crash diet. That said, I'm not so okay with it that I want to post dozens of pouting pics of my imperfect face and body to fb, so my friends can gasp and say 'hasn't she let herself go' and feel better about themselves for at least not looking as bad as I do.. you know?

Sorry for the slight derail here. Although it's kinda tied in with the subject of general contempt for the current obsession with photos! I just couldn't imagine how it would feel to WANT to show off my latest selfie.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Professional photo sessions for being knocked up weird me out, but I love selfies.

Not gratuitous selfies, but the occasional photobombing my own pic.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

May 2005
    Religion
    LaVeyan Satanist
    Phrase
    A Clockwork orange

What about professional photo sessions for the parents with miscarriages? I know I'm bringing up sad things. But I've seen them.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Oct 2005
    Religion
    Phrase

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    What about professional photo sessions for the parents with miscarriages? I know I'm bringing up sad things. But I've seen them.
    That's weird too.

Then again, death portraits were a huge thing in the Victorian era.

It's not like this is new.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

The death photo thing came up at My exe's side when one of the relatives did a picture of the dead in the coffin. You must understand her side of the family was OLD school German mainly in Lodi California. We are talking German spoken at home and with family. So old customs still happen.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

Aug 2015
    Religion
    Ecletic pagan.
    Phrase
    This too shall pass.

Professional photographer, so I have to weigh in on this.

Yes, I don't understand promposals and other "gimmicky" things, but hey more money for me, right? =P (I kid...kinda).

The parents with miscarriages...the biggest group of that is Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep, and it's goal is to give parents a tangible gift of knowing they had a baby, however short lived it was. And not just blurry snapshots, but a true piece of art that will stay with them and help keep the memory alive, both for grieving and healing. I know plenty of people who have had miscarriages or short lived babies who can't remember them, because they were exhausted/emotional during that period of time.

Anyways, for me personally, I think that a part of people wanting "all the pics!" is a reflection of the fact that their parents didn't have any pictures of the every day stuff. I know my mom talks about how she doesn't even have one snapshot of herself pregnant, not even on halloween, because no one ever took them, and it makes her so sad. And people don't have many from birthday parties because they are running around being hosts, so they don't have time to take them (Especially nowadays with the bratty kids not giving them a minute to relax).

I think it's also the fact that technology now has gotten to the point where it *is* accessible. People can usually afford at least one camera, and a good memory card, and storage for the digital files. I mean, people used to stand for hours over a few days to get their portrait made, is 10 selfies a day as silly? =P (Yes, when all ten are posted on facebook at the same time lol).

As Jembru mentioned, self positivity is a huge part of it to. Lifestyle photography, as it's known as, really does help someone feel good. It can really show what you actually look like, and make you feel great.

Urgh, I am not articulate at all...

tl;dr: I agree that the abundance of sharing the pictures can be annoying and a reflection of a narcissistic tendency, but I think the photography itself is a good thing.
    “I am Cat and I walk alone and all ways are the same to me.” ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Oct 2005
    Religion
    Phrase

Quote Originally Posted by faye_cat View Post
    The parents with miscarriages...the biggest group of that is Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep, and it's goal is to give parents a tangible gift of knowing they had a baby, however short lived it was. And not just blurry snapshots, but a true piece of art that will stay with them and help keep the memory alive, both for grieving and healing. I know plenty of people who have had miscarriages or short lived babies who can't remember them, because they were exhausted/emotional during that period of time.

I had a stillbirth at 26 weeks. While I can intellectually understand this....personally, I don't want or need that memory. I don't want to think of my Aurora as what she looked like when she was born. But different people grieve differently. To me its wierd.

~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee