Memorial Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memorial Day

It's 20 minutes early but may everyone's Memorial Day go smoothly.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Re: Memorial Day

I'll second that! There are some wild weather situations in some areas, and always those extra police checking traffic, etc., so be careful out there.
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
      It's 20 minutes early but may everyone's Memorial Day go smoothly.
      Would be nice if while everyone is celebrating they take a moment and reflect upon the fact the holiday is about honoring and remembering those who made the ultimate sacrifice while serving their country. That seems to be the forgotten reason as all the grills and sales go off this weekend, but especially Monday. You'd be surprised how many veterans will get told thank you for their service this weekend.
      I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Happy Memorial Day everyone! Thanks to all our vets!
        Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
          Would be nice if while everyone is celebrating they take a moment and reflect upon the fact the holiday is about honoring and remembering those who made the ultimate sacrifice while serving their country. That seems to be the forgotten reason as all the grills and sales go off this weekend, but especially Monday. You'd be surprised how many veterans will get told thank you for their service this weekend.
          I would love to say something optimistic about the ability of the population at large to think beyond "Shinies are on SALE!!!! GIVE ME MOAR!!!!!!!!!!!"

Unfortunately, I work retail. The reflective side of mortals isn't often on display in retail. In specific, I worked retail today and will again tomorrow (well yesterday and today now). It's best that I not comment further on mortals till Wednesday.
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
            I would love to say something optimistic about the ability of the population at large to think beyond "Shinies are on SALE!!!! GIVE ME MOAR!!!!!!!!!!!"

Unfortunately, I work retail. The reflective side of mortals isn't often on display in retail. In specific, I worked retail today and will again tomorrow (well yesterday and today now). It's best that I not comment further on mortals till Wednesday.
            While I never worked in retail sure seen it a lot from the other side. Pushing, shoving, tearing sale items out of the hands of others, even children and all the other wonderful hallmarks of the human cattle drive people call retail sales. I try to stay away from stores as much as possible on the "Holidays" as it's bad enough to me on regular days. Facing a threat of combat on the ship was not as scary to me as being in Walmart on black friday or some other retail store on a holiday.

Comment

Stop shopping, stop listening to politcal bs, and look at pictures - just for a minute:

These Emotional Photos Show The Real Reason For Memorial Day

Whatever your personal beliefs, people have PAID for this.
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

While I never worked in retail sure seen it a lot from the other side. Pushing, shoving, tearing sale items out of the hands of others, even children and all the other wonderful hallmarks of the human cattle drive people call retail sales. I try to stay away from stores as much as possible on the "Holidays" as it's bad enough to me on regular days. Facing a threat of combat on the ship was not as scary to me as being in Walmart on black friday or some other retail store on a holiday.
                Staying away from stores is the bright move. Most sales seen on Holidays show up at other times of the year if you pay attention or they start a few days ahead. If you aren't being paid to put up with the holiday insanity in stores, DON'T. You'll be happier for avoiding the comedy of cluster-****s. The stores will be happier at having one less person to deal with. Everyone who matters wins. Corporate execs and bean counters might not but much as I love the exhaustive and pointed list of policies that my company enforces for my benefit...

In this matter, I will care about the opinion of any company officer who spends their holidays in a store putting up with the endless idiocy they ask of sales reps. See the long line of officers getting ready to meet my challenge....

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                  Stop shopping, stop listening to politcal bs, and look at pictures - just for a minute:

These Emotional Photos Show The Real Reason For Memorial Day

Whatever your personal beliefs, people have PAID for this.
                  I agree in general but there is also another side that is being ignored here. That is the many MIA's, those missing in action who are known to be dead but no bodies or believed to be dead but are never officially declared dead. Families that go on and on hoping and praying for closure but only seldom getting it. Many times dying before some evidence is found that allows their loved one to finally be identified and laid to rest. Memorial day is to honor them as well.

Which is especially sad if you consider they not only died probably for their country but are not even recognized as dead in most instance by the country they died for.

Comment

All I know is that there is a lot of people at barbeques posting self righteously on Facebook about how this weekend is not about barbeques.
                    Last edited by ThePaganMafia; 29 May 2016, 21:47.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
                      All I know is that there is a lot of people at barbeques posting self righteously on Facebook about how this weekend is not about barbeques.
                      Well if it's directed at me try and find me at a BBQ won't happen. Closest we had was Saturday when we celebrated my granddaughter's birthday the rest of the weekend I spend time reflecting upon things. Those I served with who died on active duty, those I served with who have since passed and maybe even raising a beer or drink to those who've gone over in remembrance of the time we spent together.

Though I also have to agree there are more than a few who practice the "Do as I say not as I do" method of things.

Comment

To Monsno and all my other brothers alive and dead...This drinks for you guys...Remember all those who died to keep you free,and remember all those from WW2 who are old and a dieing breed.
                        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

We have a dumb supper on Memorial Day.

And we don't shop or BBQ.
                          Last edited by thalassa; 30 May 2016, 03:18.
                          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                          sigpic

Comment

Our Aldi's grocery store is closed today. I like that idea. Way back when, more places were closed on holidays, and even on Sundays.

waranimals.jpg
                            sigpic
                            Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Well if it's directed at me try and find me at a BBQ won't happen. Closest we had was Saturday when we celebrated my granddaughter's birthday the rest of the weekend I spend time reflecting upon things. Those I served with who died on active duty, those I served with who have since passed and maybe even raising a beer or drink to those who've gone over in remembrance of the time we spent together.

Though I also have to agree there are more than a few who practice the "Do as I say not as I do" method of things.
                              That was directed at everyone who has flooded my Facebook news feed this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                              X