Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The discussion now:Should animals be in zoos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The discussion now:Should animals be in zoos?

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
    I was looking to see if there was an article about the sea otter thing I posted about (there isn't), and found a story about a bear at a zoo that hurled a rock at the glass in its enclosure: http://edition.cnn.com/2015/07/07/us...mashes-window/

Bears also use rocks as tools.
    Octopus are way smarter and cooler than one could ever think. They hide I stuff and move from aquarium to aquarium. Some even escape. There is one in the previews for the new Dory movie, I am so excited. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/14/wo...rium.html?_r=0

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
      When I was little, my parents often took me to the Bronx Zoo. I used to cry about the big cats, a black panther in particular, because back then they were just in cages, and he paced nonstop and I could see and sense his fear, anger, and hopelessness. I can still see his eyes. The elephants made me sad too. I heard their rumblings and knew they weren't happy. Nowadays the habitats are 100% better. I went back there in the late 90's and it was a different world. For conservation purposes, I think it's fine, but we need to build stronger barriers to keep stupid humans out!
      I think the ones in North America are a lot better than the ones here, though. There's just more space there and that shows in the kind of enclosures they have. Here they're not terrible (they're definitely not in cages anymore), but for some animals they clearly need to be bigger. Some zoos over here are better than others, though. As I said before Barcelona was horrible. I think part of it was the tons of people constantly knocking on the glass of every animal, but they were also small spaces. All the animals looked a bit depressed (I'll also note that we were there in May and it wasn't really hot out by Spanish standards). The Berlin Zoo is kind of middle ground by European standards...most of it looks decent, but the larger animals need more space. Tierpark (also Berlin) is kind of better, but they have more space due to their weird history (West Berlin had the zoo, so East Berlin had to go and build their own zoo, and it was after the war so there was more empty space). None of them are as good as San Diego or Calgary, though (the two zoos I've been to in North America and therefore my frame of reference).

Comment

It depends entirely on the zoo/aquarium. And how they source their animals as well as how they house, treat and feed them. And it depends on the behind-the-scenes conservation and breeding programs. And the front-of-the-scenes education programs.

Without zoos, the Mongolian Wild Horse would be extinct, to name just one of the species that has benefited from responsible zoo practice. Some zoos are doing a good job. Some aren't. Personally I think there needs to be pressure put on those that aren't to up their game. We need better global standards for zoos, and people need to stop complaining about the entrance price for the high-standard zoos. Because that money is how those zoos pay for their high standards and their conservation efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
          We need better global standards for zoos, and people need to stop complaining about the entrance price for the high-standard zoos. Because that money is how those zoos pay for their high standards and their conservation efforts.
          Eh, partly. Ours also get money from the state. I think investing taxpayer dollars in zoos and the conservation/research/education work they do is a worthy cause, and many get far too little funding from that end.

I think zoos (like theatres and museums) should be there as much for locals as they are for tourists. And in Berlin, locals CANNOT afford to pay the existing entrance a lot of the time (wages in Berlin can be pitifully low), and we're one of the cheaper zoos in Europe. I think allocating more taxpayer money for that would be fair. After all, we pay those taxes.
          Last edited by DanieMarie; 10 Jun 2016, 02:51.

Comment

I liked SF,where there was a once a month free day for all locals for everything,zoo,museum ,aquarium,art museum, and many others.
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Our small town has a pretty good small zoo. They set up a wolf den 10 years ago. It was set down in a valley and had an in ground den. You could only see them from the above walk way. They kept human contact to a minimum and you were lucky to catch then out with the or without the cubs. The breeding program worked so well they moved them out to the wild and we now have the Africa Wild Dogs there. Even though you might never see the wolves/dogs they were/are really appreciated and the way the set up was done was tolerated because people in general want animals to do well, at least I think.

Comment

I saw this on Facebook and thought of this thread:

Some valuable insight into stalking behaviour lol. Also, tigers aren't all that aware of glass and what it does.

Comment

Yeah, good video. In my post about animals who suffer in zoos, I specifically did not mention the tiger at our local zoo. They have a remarkably good enclosure- steel netting, maybe. It looks about as natural as you can get with a tiger. Plus, he really had an aura of contentedness. He would walk along side people as if he were the host of the zoo. I think it was satisfaction at the constant parade of potential tiger happy meals. But, you know, he's cool if they just bring him food. No rush with the hunting.

They also have had a good wolf habitat even when the rest of the zoo was kind of dodgy. Wolves do not give out a welcoming vibe. Happier with their privacy, I think.

Comment

Working...
                  X