Save the frog!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Save the frog!

OK - I don't quite know what to say about this...

Read the article:

From the article:

A couple of mitigating factors - it was an endangered species, but it was also already ill from parasites...
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Save the frog!

A few nights ago I tried to rescue a tiny moth from the bathroom sink. JP leaves the tap running while he brushes his teeth (I wish he wouldn't but I'm sick of reminding him). We were at the sink together and the moth landed at the side of the sink very close to the water. I scooped it up to stop it falling in, but then it flew from my hand straight into the plug. I just stood frozen as I watched it wash away.

I felt a terrible guilt. I'd only meant to save it but my actions made it panic and it died as a result. In those moments, I'd have pulled the sink from the wall if I'd thought I could get it out (you wouldn't believe the amount of flies and spiders I've nursed back to health on bits of toilet paper after fishing them out of the bath or toilet bowl!).

It's impossible to know for sure without being in that situation, but I think I'd probably feel the same as this woman and do whatever I could to fix it if I'd injured an animal like that. I wouldn't have that kind of cash of course, but I'd at least ring around and do what I could.

- - - Updated - - -

Also... just so no one thinks I'm going for the 'isn't she saintly vote' it wasn't a clothes moth. I let Dolly eat clothes moths and don't feel a bit of guilt! Sick if finding their darned larvae.
    Last edited by Jembru; 10 Jun 2016, 08:02.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I'm a softy, myself. I don't know if I'd have sent the frog to a frog surgeon, but I would have felt pretty bad (I really like frogs ). One of the few critters that I run into that I actively enjoy killing is ticks. I rejoice in flushing them down the toilet.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I tried to rescue a bee that was being wrapped in silk by a large spider just inside our back door a few years ago. I used a broom stick(no, come on, stop sniggering at the back there) to free it, and carefully carried it outside to some flower pots in the hope it would wriggled free of the last threads of spider silk.

When I turned to go back indoors, a very aggrieved spider (false widow, gives the UK papers something to panic about - we have a lot of them in our house) was waiting on the back door.

I went in but one leg decided not to follow (one of the hazards of my central nervous system being so comprehensivelly bollixed).

Instead of entering through the back door, I fell, hitting my cheekbone on the large iron door knob - the one with a tudor rose embossed on it. (I know cos the pattern was clearly there amidst the bloody bruises for the following fortnight. )

I have no idea what happened to the spider. Probably squashed the poor little bugger...
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

no good deed goes unpunished...

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
            no good deed goes unpunished...
            And that's exactly how it felt.

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
              And that's exactly how it felt.

Or maybe you incured bad karma by depriving the spider of its dinner?

Ethics is a difficult subject...

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                Or maybe you incured bad karma by depriving the spider of its dinner?

Ethics is a difficult subject...
                Yes, I thought of that one too... I wouldn't have bothered saving a fly. But bees are under threat already so I thought I was doing a good turn.

Still have problems with that side of my face though...

Comment

Spiders only wrap their food after they bite it. The bee was being digested from the inside out. You didn't save the bee - you just made it's death meaningless...

It is usually best to let nature take its course as long as the processes are "normal".
                  The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                  I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

You know, there's been a bee in a web right next to our front door for weeks. I hate seeing it gradually decay every time I pass. I think it's just the bits the spider doesn't need and the spider itself is long gone, so moving it wouldn't be inconveniencing anyone, but I really hate touching anything dead. It freaks me out.
                    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
                      Spiders only wrap their food after they bite it. The bee was being digested from the inside out. You didn't save the bee - you just made it's death meaningless...

It is usually best to let nature take its course as long as the processes are "normal".
                      Well maybe I did. But it FELT right at the time.

Comment

It just makes me think of the National Lampoon kinda logo.

Its all about the frog legs.
                        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
                        X