This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you had a dedicated ritual room...

So Torey and I have finally moved into our new house that we had built, and are in the process of unpacking the ritual room

We're lucky that we have a dedicated room for our ritual and working things.. at the old house it was a room that had an instant 'feel' about it when you went in there. It was calm, quiet and still, and had an instant subtle effect on your mood and state of consciousness. At the moment the new room is full of half unpacked boxes and empty altars, and I need to get the curtains hung still. It's going to take me a bit of work to get the new room to 'sacred space' status, but it'll get there.

So my question to folks is... if you had a dedicated ritual room (or if you already have one) what would you put in there? If I gave you a million dollars, what would you build? How would you decorate it? Who would it be dedicated to? What would it look like?

Or do you completely reject the idea of a dedicated ritual room? Why? What would you use instead?

I want creativity, peeps! I want the weird and wonderful. The fantastical. The crazy 'I'd line the floor with semi-precious stones' ideas. Serious, practical things are welcome too, but lets have fun with this.

Re: If you had a dedicated ritual room...

Oh wow! What a great idea! If I had a ritual room, it would be pentagon shaped and detached from the house. It would have wooden slightly cathedral style beams and window frames. One wall would be a window or door leading out to a zen garden that would have manicured hedges and white flowering plants. Surrounding the zen garden would be wilder landscape with tall trees and vines. In the middle of the garden would be an altar to Airmid covered with a white shroud. Inside my ritual room, the colours would be neutral. I would have a bolster and one large colourful cushion to sit on. It would be lit naturally by the sun. If I ever went there at night, I might see dim fairy lights strung in a random pattern from the high ceiling or scented tea candles on flat Perspex plates attached to the beams. The ceiling is pitched high and the wooden beams follow the lines to meet in the centre. To dress the windows I would use natural linen hanging to the floor. A lowest detached and ornate wooden shelf would store a few precious items including a reliable black pen, a polymere clay clad journal with paper I had made myself, my bible, my speaker for music, and oils. I would like to have something periwinkle of colour in there , too. Maybe the journal could be periwinkle blue with a white barn owl on the cover.

Although I LOVE the idea of a total room, I love the idea of being able to access the supernatural no mater where I am. Tomorrow, Rae'ya, I will recite for you an excerpt from the book 'the Passage' that totally inspired me. For now, my baby is asleep and so must I.
    Last edited by Azvanna; 19 Jun 2016, 02:21.

Comment

Mine would be a wooden structure with ivy, honeysuckle and climbing rose covered trellis for walls. The floor would be pathing slabs and at one end only there would be roof over the altar so I could work in the rain without the candles and so on getting wet. I'd have herbs in hanging baskets and possibly a water feature with statues of magpies. There would be two padlocked sheds that I'd keep ritual supplies and books in. I'd also possibly hang a large ornamental mirror inside the covered section and smaller mirrors on the outdoor trellis. I'd have a few stone chimineas dotted about for warmth in the winter. There will also be a place to sit and wind chimes hung here and there to catch the breeze. I can't think of anything else I'd need in my space than that.
      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

It would be an Atrium style room with plenty of natural light year round. I would orient the room with the seasonal wheel, and in the center would be a large table, both for ritual and celebration.

Comment

I'd have a room with a "typical" alter, a work area for my essential oil and herb work, with an attached area for soap making. I'd have another workspace for my more arts and craftsy activities like making ceramic rune sets and masks.

I'd also have an outdoor ritual space made from something like one of those playground spider web things only bigger, with plants growing up most of the way and a fire pit in the middle.
          We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
          It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
          Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
          -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I had one before I moved, and called in my Work Room. My big altar had the wall under the windows. All of the entities I work with had their own shrines, save for a shared one for the angels. I also had my bookshelves in there, and my desk, because art and knowledge are sacred. Besides doing my prayer and spell work and such, I also did writing in there.
            Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Right now I have to keep things locked up and I have no working witch altar. I use the kitchen table. So an altar, elemental altars, have my stuff out where I can see it. It gets cold here so I want it in doors. I can work outside in the woods when I need to.

Comment

Awesome ideas!

I like an indoor space and I like my ritual room as a room near the middle of the house (kind of like the 'heart' of the house). I like natural light, but also a block out curtain to make it really dark if I want to do something with candles during the day time. I really like the fairy lights idea that Az had... especially for an outdoor space. I would have vertical 'altars' hung on the walls for the elements and their associated entities (not the elements AS entities)... with artwork, maybe a little shelf or system of narrow shelves, lots of colour, trinkets and things hanging off them. My working altar and then my altar to Skuld would have to be there. And a wall of bookcases for my books and things. The floor would be rustic floorboards with my hides on them. Oh and a display case for my stones.

Mine would be a strange combination of styles... I like rough wood, natural textiles, candlelight, the golden evening light, furs, hides, feathers, skulls. I'm less into greenery than I am natural materials and trinkets from nature. I really love those hand-made wooden structures with the curved vaulted ceilings made of roughly hewn beams.

Keep 'em coming.

Comment

I would have a spiral staircase going into an uppermost level room with a window seat, an old fashioned walk-in fireplace, and a widows walk. Ceiling to floor tapestry style curtains over the windows, built in bookshelves around the windowsill, and a giant library card catalog for gemstones and herbs and things. Somewhere would have a candle-mantle (a shelf full of candles that are allows to melt and drop off). On a wall without windows, is where I'd have the altar, with several shelves and nooks...driftwood, with some carving and wood burning knot work type of design. The floor would be a sort of mixed media mosaic with shells and tumbled stone (along the edges) and hardwood floors otherwise, in a labyrinth desigh, for walking. For practicalitys sake, some storage...waist height cabinets for storing stuff not in use. And a bench with cushion and some floor cushions.
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

I would have a room that was in the middle of the woods, a "shack" if you will. Aside from large open window doors into the woods at one end, one side would be half book-case from top to bottom, consisting of tomes of prehistoric archaeology, grimoires and my handwritten manuscripts of British mythological texts reproduced in their original language (I'm learning Old English, and Welsh and then Irish, with a view of the latter two of learning the "Old" forms of each in time), the other half would be a cabinet, holding all the tools, incenses and ingredients I would build up over time. On the other side would be a wood burning stove for heating during the winter, with a chair facing it for reading. At the end opposite the doors would be a shrine space for kneeling and meditating at. The whole shack would be constructed out of wood and the walls on the outside would be filled with opportunities for animals to take shelter, such as hedgehog hideaways and insect/creepy crawly tubes, and bird boxes.
                    I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
                    Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
                    But that day you know I left my money
                    And I thought of you only
                    All that copper glowing fine

Comment

Originally posted by Briton View Post
                      The whole shack would be constructed out of wood and the walls on the outside would be filled with opportunities for animals to take shelter, such as hedgehog hideaways and insect/creepy crawly tubes, and bird boxes.
                      Ooh I like this idea! Though in Australia that's like an open invitation for deadly snakes and spiders to come on into the house. But I REALLY like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                        Ooh I like this idea! Though in Australia that's like an open invitation for deadly snakes and spiders to come on into the house. But I REALLY like this.
                        Same here, add gators, feral pigs. If you are too far out, you can also add bears and mountain lions to that.
                        Last edited by thalassa; 24 Jun 2016, 01:35.
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                          Same here, add gators, feral pigs. If you are too far out, you can also add bears and mountain lions to that.
                          Maybe we could have a subtle predator-proof fence a distance out from the cabin? *tries to be optimistic*

Comment

Maybe we could have a subtle predator-proof fence a distance out from the cabin? *tries to be optimistic*
                            If I figure it out once we have a yard and chickens I'll let you know! Of course, we plan to live in town, so there's the subtle discouragement of people....but with the many waterways anD oodles of greenspace, it's fairly often they manage to overcome that!
                            sigpic

Comment

So my question to folks is... if you had a dedicated ritual room (or if you already have one) what would you put in there? If I gave you a million dollars, what would you build? How would you decorate it? Who would it be dedicated to? What would it look like?
                              I hope it's okay that I bumped this; I just really liked the question and wanted to answer as well

A round domed room with stained glass windows and art nouvea type decor. The domed ceiling done in stained glass with a celestial theme of moon, sun and stars. Four round windows with dipictions of the four elements and the beings associated with them in stained glass. Elegant carved wooden doors with Athena on one side and Hermes on the other in stained glass as well. The double doors open out onto a private beach. The floor a mosaic of marble tiles with a pentacle done in gold. the walls are lined in curved book cases filled with books and gemstones and other witchy supplies. A fainting couch (hate the name, but love the way they look) of aquamarine velvet sits in an alcove along the opposite wall from the doors so that if the doors are open, you can gaze out at the beach. Matching aquamairne velvet curtains adorn the windows. smaller round windows of regular glass house small plants of various types. A matching dog bed sits on the floor next to the couch. A low to the ground working altar carved in wood stained a dark cherry is at the head of the pentacle with a gold cushion in front of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X