Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 'Gospel of Jesus's Wife': Insane backstory

Copper Member
    Sep 2015
    Religion
    Arratu - based on Sumer 4500 to 1800BCE

Re: 'Gospel of Jesus's Wife': Insane backstory

Like others here and elsewhere, there is little importance in these questions unless one looks for reality in the beliefs of others. I can easily accept the deification of Jesus just like I can accept the deification of Marduk. In most pagan "faiths" there is either a savior or a man who becomes a god. In most cases the savior construct requires that he/she give up something as valuable as life in order to be victorious over the adversity. In the case of man turned god the man most often is loved by his people because of things accomplished in their favor. Whether it be laws that bring more equality to the masses or the prosperity of the land the person is "bigger than life" and becomes a deity because of his importance to his people.
    The mythos becomes the fact which becomes the truth within that religion. The truth no longer matters when faith takes over.

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Yes, well, all very fine & good, but the whole point of the post was the amusing story behind the origin of an apparently faked ancient document...
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Copper Member
    Sep 2015
    Religion

Since the research into its origins is ongoing, it is telling that you call it "apparently faked".
    I think I'll wait to see what happens when the studies are concluded.
    Last edited by DragonsFriend; 27 Jun 2016 at 09:33.

Feb 2007
    Religion
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsFriend View Post
    Since the research into its origins is ongoing, it is telling that you call it "apparently faked".
    Telling? In what way? Just what are you accusing me of, there, cowboy?

Most art forgeries are revealed by questions of provenance, not by analysis.
    Last edited by B. de Corbin; 27 Jun 2016 at 09:35.

May 2012
    Religion
    Optimistic Agnostic
    Phrase
    Suspend Judgement
    Have a read of the article! If for no other reason than to read a well written story. Essentially the author is bringing in to question its authenticity very .... (Snr moment...lost the word) convincingly(?). So it's appropriate for Corbin to call it "apparently faked" in this context. Again, have a read! Mostly because I was thoroughly entertained and want to share that with you. And yea, it will be interesting to see what the conclusion will be.

Quote Originally Posted by B. de Corbin View Post

Most art forgeries are revealed by questions of provenance, not by analysis.
    Had to look up provenance.. Lol this thread just keeps adding to my vocabulary. Love it. I still don't quite understand parsimony in this context though. Thalassa's or maybe Corbin if you get it can you clarify?
    Last edited by Azvanna; 27 Jun 2016 at 09:48.

Feb 2007
    Religion
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Quote Originally Posted by Azvanna View Post
    Had to look up provenance.. Lol this thread just keeps adding to my vocabulary. Love it. I still don't quite understand parsimony in this context though. Thalassa's or maybe Corbin if you get it can you clarify?
    LOL -parsimony, first definition (the way it is most commonly used) is something like "stingy."

In the second defintion, the one Thalassa was using, it means something like "applying Occam's razor, being stingy with theory, chosing the most likely explanation that fits the data rather than spinning convoluted theory to explain away discrepancies."

Assuming that the author was honest in his investagative journalism, there are too, too many red flags raised that it is a fake to give it credit for being authentic, unless some other info comes to light.

"Provenance" is of major importance in art and antique authentification because, truth is, they are easy to fake. A friend was just telling me about somebody who hand a pistol he claimed was owned by Jessi James. If the claim were true, the value of the gun would change from about $300 to (possibly) $10,000 or more.

But they guy doesn't have documantation to prove conclusively that it was owned by J. James, so - no provenace, no increase in value.
    Last edited by B. de Corbin; 27 Jun 2016 at 09:57.

May 2012
    Religion
    Optimistic Agnostic
    Phrase
    Suspend Judgement

In the second defintion, the one Thalassa was using, it means something like "applying Occam's razor, being stingy with theory, chosing the most likely explanation that fits the data rather than spinning convoluted theory to explain away discrepancies."
    Right, because when Thal said 'defies every inch of parsimony' I thought she meant it defied Occam's Razor essentially but now I think she means it's a really good example of parsimony applied to the extreme circumstances here.. Gosh I think I should just go to sleep! Lol.
    Assuming that the author was honest in his investagative journalism, there are too, too many red flags raised that it is a fake to give it credit for being authentic, unless some other info comes to light.

Copper Member
    Sep 2015
    Religion

I don't remember accusing anyone of anything. It is telling about YOUR decision making process that you would judge the work based on a story full of innuendos and hearsay with very little facts to base an opinion of the artifact on rather than to wait and see what the evidence tells.

The author of the story brings to question the moral character of one person in a nearly empty line of provenance. Nothing is said about the work itself. I put more faith in the science of the paper and ink, it's dating, and the objective evidence than I can in a news story. (sorry, I have an innate distrust of reporters because they tend to write for sensationalism or to fit their personal views rather than objective truth).
    For instance; it is always a racially motivated act when a white person offends or attacks a black person but it is never a racially motivated attack if a black man offends or attacks a white person.
    It is big news when a gun is used in a crime but there is no news when a gun is used in self defense (unless the above applies).
    It is never a radical (enter race, religion, or ethnicity here) who perpetrates a violent act unless the attacker is (white, upper middle class, male and Christian).
    It is never a "black", Muslim, or Mexican man who commits a crime, its just a man unless he is white - then they provide a description which includes color, race and religion.
    Why is it so hard to identify a criminal with his race or religion ALL the time?
    Last edited by DragonsFriend; 27 Jun 2016 at 10:08.

May 2012
    Religion
    Optimistic Agnostic
    Phrase
    Suspend Judgement

The author of the story brings to question the moral character of one person in a nearly empty line of provenance. Nothing is said about the work itself. I put more faith in the science of the paper and ink, it's dating, and the objective evidence than I can in a news story. objective truth).
    Can ink be dated other than testing it for ingredients used?

Copper Member
    Sep 2015
    Religion

If it has carbon or other organic compounds it can be destructively tested for date. You can also use UV technology as NASA has on the Mars rover.
    My answer is yes, they can date the ink.