Thread: Astral hygeine and shields

May 2012
    Religion
    Panentheistic Progressive Christian
    Phrase
    No limits

Re: Astral hygeine and shields

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsFriend View Post
    I have found that, for me at least, it is best to let another's anger flow around me like water on a duck's back. You can be aware without "owning" it. It doesn't penetrate so there is no reason to "react" which gives you a way to respond, trying to correct the situation instead of amplifying it. What another person feels about me has no effect on how I feel about myself so it has no bearing on how I feel about them. Practice assertion instead of aggression.
    Can you unpack this further? Because I'm very good at doing what you've suggested most of the time. However, there are times when I can be curious about another person's emotion and not take it on, but it's as though the curiousity itself becomes a sticking point. So I'm not responding out of anger towards them, I'm trying to find an appropriate internal response long after the fincident has happened. Is a simple incident of road rage the kind of thing that can damage a shield in the first place?

Also Monsno I like your analogy about the windscreen very much.

How do you clean a shield? Jembru says she envisions a violet flame. What else is there and do you have to be aware of what you're burning?

One of the meditations I've learned in yoga has been to do an energy scan. So, to sit in stillness and imagine white energy circulating in a loop through my body scanning it. When I find a place where the energy is hard to push through or sluggish, I keep scanning that area until I can circulate through it easily or until I run out of time. Does this sound like a shield repair?

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Northern Tradition Shaminist Demonolator. Or something along those lines...

Quote Originally Posted by Azvanna View Post
    Can you unpack this further? Because I'm very good at doing what you've suggested most of the time. However, there are times when I can be curious about another person's emotion and not take it on, but it's as though the curiousity itself becomes a sticking point. So I'm not responding out of anger towards them, I'm trying to find an appropriate internal response long after the fincident has happened. Is a simple incident of road rage the kind of thing that can damage a shield in the first place?
    Shields are about keeping the muck off you, like a road rage incident. They shouldn't be used as an alternative to learning how to deal with the people around you, though. You can't just throw up a shield and hope that you will never feel another person's anger toward you... that's not really how they work. They work in conjunction with all the inner explorations about working through your own responses etc. You do the intensive inner work, and the shields keep you from picking up the daily muck around you.

Also Monsno I like your analogy about the windscreen very much.
    Monsno's car analogy is one of the best explanations of shielding I've ever heard! Though I will add that it is possible (with advanced practice) to construct shields that will protect against active attack... but they are difficult to maintain in the long term and are better constructed in the short term while you are having specific problems with a person.

I also like this analogy because it makes it very clear about keeping the daily muck off vs keeping directed attacks or chronic abuse off you. It's very difficult to maintain shields against chronic abuse/negativity/difficult situations, and a better plan of action is actually to look at whether you can change the situation or the way you process the situation. Your car can only take so much, and if you're always driving it through harsh conditions, it wont get you to where you're going.

How do you clean a shield? Jembru says she envisions a violet flame. What else is there and do you have to be aware of what you're burning?

One of the meditations I've learned in yoga has been to do an energy scan. So, to sit in stillness and imagine white energy circulating in a loop through my body scanning it. When I find a place where the energy is hard to push through or sluggish, I keep scanning that area until I can circulate through it easily or until I run out of time. Does this sound like a shield repair?
    Your yoga meditation is a body scan, but you could adapt it to a shield. In a lot of ways, maintaining the shield is easier than clearing out body energy, because it really does just need an etheric equivalent of a wipe down, maybe a scrub of stubborn areas and a few patch ups. I literally spin out energy 'thread' and stitch up the holes in mine, sometimes constructing more 'fabric' from my hands to use as a patch. I also have a waterfall in my Innerworlds home base that acts as a shield shower of sorts... when I stand under it, it cleanses all the muck away. You could use any sort of visualisation for cleaning the shield... even if it's an astral bottle of spray-n-wipe and a chux cloth! Most people are used to some sort of 'white light', 'blue flame' or similar, because that's what's in most of the 101 books and so it's our first exposure to the concepts. But it doesn't have to be... the visualisation is just a mental tool to help the brain shape the energetic field around us.

Jan 2014
    Religion
    Solitary Witch

I know what you mean. A couple of times (usually road rage incidents) I've felt people's anger try to pierce me like an arrow. Sometimes I can deflect but other times the incident will stick well into the future.
    Yes, that sounds like what I was feeling. It feels like an attack, not just regular anger.

It's those kind of "attacks" I'd like to learn how to respond to better.
    Me too!

I've got to say, this thread has been so informative... It sometimes amazes me how much knowledge can be gained from joining in a forum... Sometimes the information is better than any book I have found.

Copper Member
    Sep 2015
    Religion
    Arratu - based on Sumer 4500 to 1800BCE

Your curiosity is a connection to the outburst from another person. Once you attach yourself to the emotion you begin to own it. You've noticed being around happy people that you become happier, that's because you connect to those emotions. The same thing happens with any other emotion once you connect to it. Find your center and remain aware of that without casual attachments to other's emotions.
    The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
    I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.