This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The PIE PAN(theon)

So, I've been "messing around" (mostly on an intellectual level) with the PIE (protoIndo-European) reconstructed pantheon for little while, and I thought it might be fun to talk about.

PIE (as a language) is the reconstructed language based on known patterns of language change over time to go backwards from the related Indo-European language families to a theoretical root word. To vastly simplify, the process is considered "successfully tested" when one can go back and forth along a number of language lines (there are something like 140 I-E languages, though they are grouped into major families that pretty much include most European languages, a number of Middle Eastern Languages, Sanskrit, etc). The language, archaeology, and a study of extant and extinct cultures and their religions and myths are combined to recreate a sort of proto-myth...these myths, deities, etc, have been combined with UPG (as well as other contemporary Paganisms) to flesh out a religious base for the worship of PIE deities (and yes, I get amusement about calling it the PIE PAN(theon)).

Ceiswir Serith has written a book about contemporary PIE paganism, called Deep Ancestors: Practicing the Religion of the Proto-Indo-Europeans (7.99 on Kindle, for anyone interested), which I read as a lark (I had Kindle Unlimited at the time) when I started accumulating my deep history of humans/human migration library. Its fairly well rooted in actual academic work on the PIE language, culture, and religion, and he's pretty upfront when something is his personal UPG or not (which I respect from an author). I bring him up because his website has a pretty good synopsis of PIE deitiesHausosAnd the second is how the gods relate to Xarthus (both this and the previous quote are from the above website):
    Basically--if something exists, it must have a deity to ensure that it follows the xarthus. The nature of that deity is the thing itself as it fulfills its role in the xarthus.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: The PIE PAN(theon)

Is "Xartus" something like the Tao, or Dharma (in Buddhism, "Dharma" means both "the teaching of the Buddha," and "following the order of the cosmos-ish," like it's Hindu root)?

I'd be interested in trying to trace these ideas back to their origin point. These things seem to have flowed into Alchemy, too.

P.S. Oh... I see one of the qoutes already answers my question about Dharma...
    Last edited by B. de Corbin; 26 Jun 2016, 18:23.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I wonder if the concept of a deity connected to thoughts and inspiration from Sumer is a similar exercise to the protoindo-European.
      I wondered why the Sumerians had a god associated with each invention and practice in their society. The practice sounds reasonably close.
      The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
      I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Oh!

I forgot about this... Its from a book on PIE culture and archaeology, pretty dry stuff, but he has some interesting moments when he gets into language.

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X