what's happening in the UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what's happening in the UK

For the past ten days politics in the UK have been totally mad.

This link explains what's been happening. And yes, before you ask, you couldn't make this stuff up. It's true. God help us.

www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Re: what's happening in the UK

It's like they're filming a bad political drama over there and forgot to tell... everyone... I wasn't surprised to see Farage leave, but I wonder why he didn't at least stay to see article 50 invoked... it's not like he's actually won with all the mess you guys have right now...
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

My goodness. You know you're in dire straits when pollies start saying what they're actually thinking!

why should I do all the hard shit for someone else, just to hand it over to them on a plate.

Comment

It's truly amazing. But we're only a step behind - the Republican & Democratic conventions are coming up this month. They're sure to be the site of much drama and malarkey!
        sigpic
        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Yeah, good lord. I'm kind of glad I'm Canadian and German. Canada came to its senses a few months ago and has been keeping its cool for most of the year (save the occasional stupid, pointless scandal here and there) and Germany is boring. I think that Germany's push for the status quo might bite it in the ass sometime soon and it's probably everything that's wrong with the EU, but I'd rather be boring than the UK right now, to be honest.

Comment

Yes, times are rather worrying over here at the moment. I feel losing the plot is perhaps putting it kindly...

Comment

I find it interesting that y'all are taking a conservative mindset here. It's usually my prerogative to argue against progressive activism on an economic basis. Like with raising the minimum wage.
              Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

I don't know anything about how salaries are in the UK - is there a minimum wage?
                sigpic
                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I don't usually care enough about politics to get the terms right... but I would say that the conservative side of this dilemma are the people who have been campaigning to leave the EU basiclly since they joined...?
                  Last edited by iris; 05 Jul 2016, 14:47.
                  You remind me of the babe
                  What babe?
                  The babe with the power
                  What power?
                  The Power of voodoo
                  Who do?
                  You do!
                  Do what?
                  Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

The EU is a Neoliberal and undemocratic nightmare. Ask Greece how EU austerity measures and the removal of their democratically elected leaders has gone. It's hilarious watching Liberals fall over themselves about a Democratic decision to leave a Union that is a bureaucratic mess in which workers and their trade unions have lost bargaining power. It is an undemocratic system in which trade deals are worked in secret and the poorer EU countries get exploited by more powerful member States such as France and Germany.

Comment

Originally posted by iris View Post
                      I would say that the conservative side of this dilemma are the people who have been campaigning to leave the EU
                      Well, "conservative" just means "opposes radical change" it's (In my opinion) actually the moderate/centrist position as both the far left and right are the ones arguing for radical changes. I would consider both joining the EU forty years ago, and leaving the EU now to be "progressive" and "radical." In the sense of massive political change.

I would especially consider the remain campaign to be a conservative one, as the arguments were almost all to do with short term consequences and appeals to uncertainty.
                      Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                        I find it interesting that y'all are taking a conservative mindset here. It's usually my prerogative to argue against progressive activism on an economic basis. Like with raising the minimum wage.
                        The EU has problems. Some it has created. Some it has helped. Wales benefits hugely from being in the EU - yet a majority voted to leave (a lot of people didn't realise - they claimed - that leaving the EU would mean losing its grants.)
                        Really, over here it's a class thing.
                        As in 'Know your place, peasant.'

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                          Well, "conservative" just means "opposes radical change" it's (In my opinion) actually the moderate/centrist position as both the far left and right are the ones arguing for radical changes. I would consider both joining the EU forty years ago, and leaving the EU now to be "progressive" and "radical." In the sense of massive political change.

That's a bit like saying cows are an animal that makes milk. I mean, so is a lion...and cows do more than make milk. If I were talking about socks, then I could use the word conservative to either mean that my socks were not restrained or that I owned a moderate number of them. TBH, if any recognizable political figure in the US is conservative in this fashion, its Hillary (and the Dems have been conservative in this way for quite some time).

Politically though, you have to go back to Edmund Burke. Conservatism, at its roots is paternalistic and based thoroughly in appeal to antiquity, does not believe in universal rights or human agency, holds religion and government (specifically the majority status quo religion) to be the only restraining power of mankind's base nature, is anti-rational (not irrational, anti-rational), and is monarchical--based in the idea of there being "betters" and "lesser" (social stratification and class-based society). And its not improved since.
                          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                          sigpic

Comment

That's kind of my point, at it's heart Conservatism (especially the radical sort) isn't very conservative. I prefer the term "reactionary."
                            Last edited by Denarius; 06 Jul 2016, 04:33.

Comment

More news in the UK today, the Chilcot report into the Iraq war is out. Is it news anywhere else?
                              Sir John Chilcot delivers highly critical verdict on Iraq war but ex-PM says: ‘I believe we made the right decision’

It's a bit like Spike Milligan's 'Archduke Ferdinand is alive and well; World War I a mistake' comment.

Comment

Working...
                              X