Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

WTF? Has it come to this?

Breaking news:

At Least 5 Police Officers Killed By Snipers During Dallas Protest: Seven other officers and one civilian were also shot and injured.

From the article:

Snipers shot and killed five police officers “ambush-style” after a Black Lives Matter protest in Dallas Thursday night, according to Dallas police. At least six other police officers and one civilian were also injured in the deadliest day for police since the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001.

Dallas Police Chief David Brown said early Friday three suspected snipers were in custody and police were still in negotiations with another suspect, who was being uncooperative and at times exchanging gunfire with officers in a parking garage.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

Re: WTF? Has it come to this?

I was very concerned something like this would happen,I am hoping cooler heads will prevail,but if history repeats itself,we may be in for a very HOT summer.
    I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.
    Mark Twain

Somewhat like Hunter S. Thompson who was called a gonzo Journalist,I consider myself to be something of a gonzo Pagan.

The wizard be in: But be warned if you poke him to much,the standard wand of anal probing +10 may be utilized.

It is interesting that humans seem to believe that they are the crown of creation,until nature drops a house on them....Just saying....

I have decided that I no longer want to be an adult... If anyone needs me, I'll be in my blanket fort, coloring.

Trust lost,is trust never regained.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

May 2013
    Religion
    Shamanic Practitioner & Green / Hedge Witch with Hellenic leanings
    Phrase
    Can't never did nothing till it tried!

Now the news is suggesting the cops are saying it was a planned attack. Which directs light back upon the Black Lives Mater movement. Yet early reports are also suggesting the cop's were shot in the back which is really going to heat things up. The South may yet burn again this summer and we may see a lot more direct action on the part of cops and how they respond if they think it might be a trap or ambush set up.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Copper Member
    Apr 2014
    Religion
    That one where I can play with live snakes and speak gibberish.

Generally when you have a large, oppressive force that kills with impunity, yes it does come to this. History repeating itself and all. Years of non-violent action and still nothing changes? Someones going to pop off.

Jul 2014
    Religion
    Celtic Pagan, Kitchen Witch

This was one of the hardest things to find out on social media last night. A series of thoughts passed through my mind and that was to check on every person I know in Dallas. My old job is in Uptown, I had friends at that protest, I know cops on the Dallas Police Force, and the fucking media is trying to say it was the protestors who shot the cops. Just once I'd like them to keep their mouths shut and get their facts straight before they start spreading lies and hate and making the divide bigger. Lots of INNOCENT people have died in the last 2 days, and it NEEDS to stop! Every police force needs to be cleaned up, and there are certain guns that do not belong in civilian hands! We are killing innocent people because we have let this fester. We ignore the racism, we push it down and pretend it doesn't exist until it explodes.

I'm angry, I'm furious that we have seen a steady stream of violence from the police force of innocent black men, and seen many of their deaths and we as a nation are doing little to stop it.I'm angry that someone used a peaceful protest in my HOMETOWN, in anyones HOMETOWN as a cover to kill 5 police officers and critically wounded 5 more. Two wrongs don't make a right. I am sad for all those families that have lost their loved one in the last 3 days.
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Quote Originally Posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
    Generally when you have a large, oppressive force that kills with impunity, yes it does come to this. History repeating itself and all. Years of non-violent action and still nothing changes? Someones going to pop off.
    You have the revolution you've been longing for. Please enjoy it for the dead who won't.
    Last edited by B. de Corbin; 08 Jul 2016 at 07:08.

Jul 2014
    Religion
    Celtic Pagan, Kitchen Witch

Quote Originally Posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    You have the revolution you've been longing for. Please enjoy it for the dead who won't.
    Hopefully not, maybe just maybe instead of going down in flames we, Dallas, the South, and everyone else will unite and take steps forward to stop this.
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan/Stregheria

In July, 1966, there were race riots in the East New York section of Brooklyn NY, where we lived. I had just turned 9. Here we are, a half-century later, and the same things are going on. People are on tv singing "We Shall Overcome" and I'm back in time. JFK, MLK, and RFK (somehow, especially him) must be rolling in their graves.

Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Copper Member
    Apr 2014
    Religion
    That one where I can play with live snakes and speak gibberish.

Quote Originally Posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    It would seem that people are dying with or without revolution. Anyways, I clarified a lot of what I think about the situation by writing this morning. It's supposed to be part of a larger piece but I am busy and having to run around today. So put very, very shortly(and sorry for lack of sources on police history I am having to leave in 5 minutes):

When things happen I generally like to ask why. What is the cause of anti State violence? Why were police gunned down last night? It's helpful, generally, to put things in a historical context.
    Historically police are a relatively new institution. They came about in the early to mid 19th century as a response to slave colonies and worker movements in the North. England followed the same path in response to worker uprsings inspired by the French Revolution. From the earliest origins of the police it was an institution set at odds against the working class.
    And that role hasn't much changed. Police have a heavy presence in all working class neighborhoods. The drug war has been a war on working class. Most laws are kept to keep the working class in good order. In every social movement from the Labor movement to the Civil Rights movement the police are on the wrong side of history. So, we have our first ingredient: a State sponsored force set against the working class(while some may find this assesment offensive it is the common assessment against police origins and history).
    Note that I am approaching this as a class issue and not strictly a racial issue. One of the failures of modern identity politics is that it ignores the same plights of white working class. So, while we acknowledge and stand with
    ‪#‎BlackLivesMatter‬ against police brutality that disproportionately affects minorities we also recognize policing as a class issue. That being said, the White proletariat has never played as large a part as the minority in class struggle and has at many times been at odds against it.
    Our second ingredient to anti-State violence would be a dissatisfied underclass. I think it is safe to say that exists in America today. Economic stagnation, police violence, rising living costs, rampant gentrification plague working class communities and black communities particularly. Despite years of protests it would seem little has changed. Black men are still shot needlessly. The working class is floundering.
    So, are we shocked at anti-State violence by the working class? And for anyone who has studied the French Revolution why would we be? Looking at past revolutionary events is thre key to unlocking the whys of what is unfolding today. I am afraid, though, instead of introspection and discussion there will only be reactionism. Little may change.
    These questions may not answer precisely why or the motivations of what happened last night but we do gain a better understanding of the forces at work when put against a historical background.

- - - Updated - - -

Welp I guess this is what happens when you copy and paste from Facebook. Sorry about the format. Don't mean to leave it like this but I gotta run.
    Last edited by ThePaganMafia; 08 Jul 2016 at 07:58.

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Quote Originally Posted by kalynraye View Post
    Hopefully not, maybe just maybe instead of going down in flames we, Dallas, the South, and everyone else will unite and take steps forward to stop this.
    My understanding is that Dallas was already doing a great job of police/community relations. Those who were shot were, it seems, innocent of the crimes they were murdered for.