Pilgrimage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pilgrimage

If you were to do a pagan related pilgrimage, where would you go and what path would you take?
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Re: Pilgrimage

I have no idea. There is no "holy" site and "historical" sites are no longer as they once were.
    The closest thing I could come to a pilgrimage would be a deep meditation with the intent to visit with the original deity of my tradition. I'm not sure what point that would serve because the original deity was an "Air God" without form or substance of any kind. Pure intellect and potential with nothing in common with corporeal life. Itis much better for me to interact with its offspring, who at least have gender.
    It's an interesting topic. I look forward to finding out what places are "sacred" to others for a pilgrimage.
    The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
    I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

I haven't given it enough thought to have thought out a route... But iceland has a certain appeal to me. I know a few of the heathen blotlaugs (I have bo clue what the English word is) do a walk through Denmark to a few sites every year, but I never really looked into the details of it.
      You remind me of the babe
      What babe?
      The babe with the power
      What power?
      The Power of voodoo
      Who do?
      You do!
      Do what?
      Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Last edited by DanieMarie; 08 Jul 2016, 13:50.

Comment

You remind me of the babe
          What babe?
          The babe with the power
          What power?
          The Power of voodoo
          Who do?
          You do!
          Do what?
          Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

DF an internal spirit journey isn't really a pilgrimage. But that does bring a good question of what is. Typically, it's a journey to a physical sacred site. But those are few and far between for the pagan community. And another aspect is that a lot of people consider the journey just as impotent as the destination, so hoping on a plane, then into a cab or bus really isn't the same. The journey matters.

I've tried thinking of some destinations, googled it, and there's really not much. Stonehenge is a big one, but it's so touristy. I personally don't like that idea. I have thought about here in the states most pagan sites would be native American. But most of those are burial mounds anyway and it's not my tradition or ancestors. But then, do we as Pagans truly need a destination other than nature itself? I don't know. I've been thinking about it.
            We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
            It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
            Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.

Comment

I grew up with Mississippian mounds practically in my backyard. I'm, literally, from just a stone's throw away from Cahokia. Cahokia, having been abandoned prior to the arrival of Europeans and not having been resettled by later Native people's (it's not even though that the Illiniwek in general, or the Cahokia specifically are descended from the original "Cahokians"). But anyhow, aside from having been there any number of times growing up, it's the most pilgramige-y think I can think of, from human hands. It even has a woodhenge.

Otherwise, nature stuff. I could probably come up with a huge list, but Quetico Provincial Park on the Canadian side of the Boundary Waters and Big Sir and Yosemite probably top the list.
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

My "pilrimages" generally involve packing some food (and bugspray) into a bag and walking in a random direction...

According to James Stephens, to find god, go anywhere and if gods wants you, you'll find it (paraphrased from The Crock of Gold).
                Last edited by B. de Corbin; 08 Jul 2016, 18:44.
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I myself would find the "Vision quest" idea very interesting. Where you go out into nature,and seek understanding of your connection to the "World"(world here being kind of all of Nature)
                  MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                  NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                  don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                  http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Reading John Muir while minimalist backpacking in Yosemite... Or Sigurd F Olsen canoeing the Boundary Waters..... I think that's probably the ultimate pilgrimage for me...
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

Walking anywhere could be a pilgrimage (for me at least). I'm very fond of the idea of pilgrimage (and since I don't have a car or a bicycle and I can't figure out how to use the local public transport I go everywhere by foot so I have a certain affinity with walking)
                      There's actually a nature site that is about a four days walk away from here (there's even a hiking route). It's considered one of most scenic sites of the country and also an ancient Pagan worship/offering place. I've been there once and it's a bit touristy but I'm still planning to walk there. Not as a Pagan pilgrimage though.

But sure there are gorgeous places everywhere. I don't even want to think about it since I can't visit them all!
                      baah.

Comment

I've only been there in the winter. It's still super popular, but some of the smaller paths are clear.

Comment

When I was at uni my final year field study (on the mating habits of the yellow dungfly ^^) was done at a research centre in the middle of nowhere. The centre had its own forest on the grounds that wasn't accessible to the public. I rose very early every morning just so I could sit in the forest and meditate before breakfast. On my last day I tied a single hair from my head to the tree beside which I would sit to meditate, and asked that the forest remember me.

It was around the same time that I stared the Fellowship of Isis course and my teacher advised me to have a proper entrance to Rotokia instead of just imagining myself straight there. That way I could properly prepare myself and have a specific reason for entering Rotokia.

I decided to make this entrance in the forest from my field trip.

I've spent so many years imagining the forest, and I know it has probably changed so much that it no longer resembles the place, but I'd love to return there one day. It isn't possible, but if it were I couldn't begin to tell you how much it would mean to me.

I've never actually been to Amesbury. That's something I'd like to do at some point. I'm not sure I'd call that a Pilgrimage, but I've been told by those who've been that for spiritual folk it's difficult not to be moved by the energy of the place. I'd like to put that to the test.
                          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I working on putting together a backpacking gear set, so I can do some deep woods hikes, or overnights anyway, but I really want to do some sort of pilgrimage. Mostly a more purposeful hike than just going out to commune with nature, and something more intense and lengthy than a weekend trip. I honestly think of the PCT or the AT as a more pilgrimage type of backpacking adventure. But neither of them is really leading into a specific place. And it's going to be a long while before I can afford to take a month or two away, not just financially. I'm planning to go down to part time so I can stay home with Nova and if we have another child that one as well, so it won't be until their grown that I'll be able to take that much time away. At least until they're old enough to stay home one their own for the most part.

Comment

We made the pilgrimage to the Arctic Henge for Summer Solstice this year. We ended up covering 2,500Km from the nearest international airport. 10 Days, no sunsets, no hotels... Oh and we done it with my 10 month old son... Was challenging, but an amazing experience which bought all three of us even closer together.

Comment

Working...
                              X